who's ike? Who's dick?

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 02:59 am
I guess Ike is Eisenhower and Dick is Nixon.
Am I on the right track?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Ike_Dick.png

contrex

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 03:30 am
@oristarA,
Yes. Left to right: Pat Nixon, Richard Nixon, Dwight D Eisenhower, Mamie Eisenhower.

"Ike" was the nickname of Dwight D Eisenhower, US President from 1952 to 1960, and "Dick" is a common shortening of "Richard". Since the picture shows Eisenhower with Richard M Nixon, it is clear to whom this refers.

"Dick" is under "Ike"'s name and vice versa.

The early 1950s style clothes worn by their wives and the text confirm that the item shown is a 1952 Presidential campaign poster. In that campaign the young California senator Nixon was Ike's running mate.

By the way, in your title, both "ike" and "dick" should have been spelled with initial capital letters.
oristarA

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 04:51 am
@contrex,
Thanks.

IKE AND DICK! Capitalization can avoid ambiguity.
contrex

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 05:17 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

IKE AND DICK! Capitalization can avoid ambiguity.

But you should know that a "proper name", when not written in all upper case, always starts with a capital letter. Contractions of formal or full proper names are still proper names. Thus

James / Jim
Richard / Dick
Eisenhower / Ike
Philadelphia / Philly

etc

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 05:39 am
@oristarA,
In America, reference to Ike is recognized to be Eisenhower.
He was known from his participation in the Second World War.
He was the Supreme Allied Commander of the European Theater.
He was credited with the conquest of the Nazis in Germany in 1945.

David
contrex

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Not personally and exclusively. He commanded one part of the Allied forces. Maybe butt out, nutty guy?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:08 am
@contrex,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
contrex wrote:
Not personally and exclusively. He commanded one part of the Allied forces. Maybe butt out, nutty guy?
Maybe go stuff your head in the garbage, Contrex?

Contrex runs to the rescue;
he wants us to know that Ike was not alone
in fighting World War II
. We need to thank Contrex for his wisdom.

David
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:16 am
The question was already completely answered. The OP was not enquiring about Eisenhower's career.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:20 am
@contrex,
I 'll render whatever comments I want, whether u like it or not.

Pleasing U is not on my agenda.

David
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 09:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You could argue that Eisenhower's insistance on advancing slowly along an extended front, despite opposition from both Montgomery and Patton, resulted in the Soviets controlling a lot more of Europe than would have happened otherwise.

Do you think Eisenhower was a secret Commie?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 11:07 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You could argue that Eisenhower's insistance on advancing slowly along an extended front, despite opposition from both Montgomery and Patton, resulted in the Soviets controlling a lot more of Europe than would have happened otherwise.

Do you think Eisenhower was a secret Commie?
No.
He chose Nixon for his success as a commiefighter against Alger Hisssssssssssssss.

David
maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 11:27 am
@contrex,
For the record, 'dick' can mean 'penis' when it is not capitalized, or it can be used to refer to a someone you consider a jerk.

As an added confusion, when it precedes the word Cheney it should be capitalized, but this is a special case.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 11:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Is that the same Nixon who flew to China for cosy chats with his Commie buddies? I believe they made an Opera about it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 12:39 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Is that the same Nixon who flew to China for cosy chats with his Commie buddies?
I believe they made an Opera about it.
Yeah; thay called him "Tricky Dicky."
JTT

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 01:27 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
By the way, in your title, both "ike" and "dick" should have been spelled with initial capital letters.

Capitalization shows a measure of respect. These two war criminals don't really deserve to have their names capitalized.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 01:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
When did Nixon fight Hissing Sid? I never realised he was one of Captain Beaky's Band.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 02:21 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
jtt wrote:
Capitalization shows a measure of respect.
These two war criminals don't really deserve to have their names capitalized.
I wonder how many of us belive that jtt
is only a troll-- trying to stir dissonance, merely to be annoying.
JTT

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 02:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I wonder how many of us belive that jtt
is only a troll-- trying to stir dissonance, merely to be annoying.

Certainly all those who are as delusional as you, Om.

Quote:
p91
Arbenz won the next election in 1951 with the support of everyone but the upper class receiving 60 percent of the vote. His intention was to expand the reforms and programs which were introduced by Arévalo. His objectives were to create an independent modern industrial economy in order to raise the living standards of Guatemalans and to reach out to the Mayan population in order to assess what they wanted.

In 1954, the American government successfully orchestrated the overthrow of the freely elected government of Jacobo Arbenz in Guatemala and replaced him with their hand-picked alternative.

That's terrorism, Om, that's a war crime.

Quote:
If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged. By violation of the Nuremberg laws I mean the same kind of crimes for which people were hanged in Nuremberg. And Nuremberg means Nuremberg and Tokyo. So first of all you've got to think back as to what people were hanged for at Nuremberg and Tokyo. And once you think back, the question doesn't even require a moment's waste of time. For example, one general at the Tokyo trials, which were the worst, General Yamashita, was hanged on the grounds that troops in the Philippines, which were technically under his command (though it was so late in the war that he had no contact with them -- it was the very end of the war and there were some troops running around the Philippines who he had no contact with), had carried out atrocities, so he was hanged. Well, try that one out and you've already wiped out everybody.

http://www.chomsky.info/talks/1990----.htm

As regards Nixon, he is one of the top war criminals that the US has ever had and there have been doozies, Sig.

View this map of the illegal bombing of Cambodia. Absolutely obscene!

http://www.yale.edu/cgp/Walrus_CambodiaBombing_OCT06.pdf
0 Replies