Lies My Teachers Told Me

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 06:45 pm
When I was in college, my experiences with liberal professors were similar to those that this author describes. I don't think my professors were as bad as this guy's, but maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention. Anyway, the article is pretty good. I'd be interested to know if anyone else had similar experiences or if this sort of thing is unusual.
The Title is: "Lies My Teachers TOld Me"

This is a link to the Article

This is a quote:

"Just over a year ago, I received a degree in history from the largest state college in Massachusetts. Having enrolled as a history major with the hope of acquiring a well-rounded historical perspective, I assumed that my professors would encourage my disinterested ambition. I was wrong.

With just a few exceptions, my professors were leftists who infused their lectures with political opinion and assigned reading material that reinforced their leftwing views. For information that would help me develop a balanced perspective on history, particularly the history of the West, I was forced to look beyond the confines of my formal education."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 395 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 06:50 pm
That people will always attempt to sell their personal views through history or biography is not to be doubted--and that goes for the political right as well as the left.

That one is prevented from learning as much "historical truth" as can be mustered by such antics is a canard. One semester in a good historiography class, or simply a semester devoted to tutoring onself on the topic in a decent university library will suffice to give the student all the tools she needs to successfully make the effort to acquire a well-rounded historical perspective on her own.

As for PoliticallyRight.com--i don't go to MoveOn.org to have my opinions fed me, nor would i go to PR.com for that purpose.
0 Replies