Could Mitt Romney Become Our First Hispanic Prexy?

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:05 am
Editor's note: Ruben Navarrette Jr. is a CNN.com contributor and a nationally syndicated columnist.

San Diego (CNN) -- Mitt, we hardly knew ye.
Or should I say, "primo!" As much as it embarrasses me to admit it, given some of his views and how he expresses them, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee and I could be distant cousins. Romney's father, George, was born in Chihuahua, Mexico, and so was my grandfather, Roman.

Que? You didn't know that Mitt Romney was half-Mexican? It's true. In fact, if he makes it to the White House, in addition to becoming the first Mormon in the Oval Office, he could also be the nation's first Hispanic president.

Don't laugh. Technically, Romney is just as "Mexican" as former New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who was born of a Mexican mother and American father. When Richardson ran for the White House in 2008, he was often touted by the media as someone who would become the nation's first Hispanic president.

Yet, I would imagine that a lot of Americans aren't aware of this branch of the Romney family tree, and that's because it is not a detail that Romney usually talks about publicly -- and especially not on the campaign trail.

Rest of story here:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/12/opinion/romney-hispanic-roots/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,895 • Replies: 6
No top replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 03:31 pm
I sure as hell hope not!!!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 03:32 pm
@RABEL222,
Nothing is impossible, however.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 03:41 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Precisely what worries me. If the U.S. citizens really took a look at the Romney who was a business man they wouldent vote for him. But for most voters its easier to let some radio commentator fill your head with **** rather than read for yourself what the facts are. Which explains the why our government is so screwed up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 04:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Interesting. I like the expansion of candidate varietals.

Don't always like the varietals, but the more options the better.
0 Replies

dap0515

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 09:23 am
@Lustig Andrei,
By blood, Mitt Romney's father is as Mexican as Tim Tebow is Filipino. George Romney is the son of American missionaries who lived in Mormon colonies in Mexico at the time of his birth. He left Mexico before Kindergarden, relocating to the U.S for the rest of his life. He never even learned Spanish.

Technically, I suppose that still makes Romney's father a Mexican, but he's not Mexican in any meaningful way that would appeal to the Latino population. He's basically an American who happened to be born on Mexican soil.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:21 am
@dap0515,
dap0515 wrote:

By blood, Mitt Romney's father is as Mexican as Tim Tebow is Filipino. George Romney is the son of American missionaries who lived in Mormon colonies in Mexico at the time of his birth. He left Mexico before Kindergarden, relocating to the U.S for the rest of his life. He never even learned Spanish.

Technically, I suppose that still makes Romney's father a Mexican, but he's not Mexican in any meaningful way that would appeal to the Latino population. He's basically an American who happened to be born on Mexican soil.

Kind of how Obama is not African. He's basically a Marxist posing as an American.
0 Replies