If we were all color blind... ?

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 08:56 am
@fresco,
Research on dolphins suggests that they have self-awareness, use concepts and possess the ability for abstract reasoning. But I wonder how much effort has been put into actually communicating with them beyond training them to respond to rewards of fish.
fresco

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 09:22 am
@Cyracuz,
Communication implies "languaging behaviour" acquired in a common social context. That context may be delimited by species specific physiology.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 10:02 am
@fresco,
There is that.
Assuming that dolphins are capable of social interaction (which they seem to be), could such a common social context be established? Even with alien life forms such a context would have to be established for communication. Or perhaps working out communication would establish the context.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 11:23 am
In science fiction the more exotic the alien the more fascinating the story.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 11:39 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
In science fiction the more exotic the alien the more fascinating the story.

Sometimes.

But then there is a gem like Rendezvous with Rama ...a truly fascinating story that tells more than most humans ever want to consider.

And not an exotic alien in sight!
JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Got to see it. Netflix?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Got to see it. Netflix?
fresco

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 06:31 pm
@JLNobody,
I would suggest the book only.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 12:00 am
@fresco,
Thanks. You do look after your friends. Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 12:18 am
For thousands more years the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across--which happened to be the Earth -- where due to a terribble miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidently swallowed by a small dog

Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's
Guide to the Galaxy"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 08:31 am
@JLNobody,
Actually, it never was made into a film. In any case, Fresco is absolutely correct. It is a story that has to be read, because the point it makes is so important. In any case, I am not sure it would make a very good movie.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 01:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Sounds like a good book. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.
0 Replies

Chaoschick

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 01:43 pm
@fresco,
Did anyone read the novel, the Giver?

There, the 'elders' tried to genetically engineer colorblind people. It was to restrict emotion in a controlled world.
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 02:03 pm
@fresco,
Being colorblind would suck! No more cool tattoos, or awesome outfits. No reason to paint your nails or dye your hair a totally awesome color. No BluRay because TV and Movies are gonna be boring black and white like they were a long long time ago. No coloring, drawing or painting. Everything would be just super dull and mega BORING.

I had to read "The Giver" in 6th grade! It was a pretty good book. Kinda weird though. Smile

fresco

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 04:23 pm
@GracieGirl,
You might like "the Chrysalids" by John Wyndham. Its about kids born with ESP (extra sensory perception) in a world hostile to anybody "different".
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 04:24 pm
@Chaoschick,
You know, I read that book so long ago that I couldn't remember what it was called or who wrote it. I just remembered some parts of the story and the general feeling it created in me. I've been wondering about it for years, and suddenly someone just comes out with it at random. Smile
0 Replies

Steve pep

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 01:09 pm
@Setanta,
You are proving a point. Some people are stuck in their own world with blinders on. Like you. Try and get a new perspective, look around, get out of your own "fishbowl" and look at the world from someone else's view. We know how color works. The idea of 'being blind" is to imagine a world without "race" to define color. Systems of oppression have used race and color to define who they think is superior for centuries. I believe that if it was not race or color, humans would find other ways to discriminate against each other.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 03:29 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

If the human race were genetically color blind, how would it effect our concepts of "reality".
This is a potentially interesting question with respect to the "embodied cognition" hypothesis discussed on the "independent reality" thread.
(For the purposes of this discussion, I define "color blind" as being confined to the "black-grey-white" continuum)

Its very difficult to quantify because it's so engrained. Such as traffic lights? In a black, gray and white world that's all you have to pick from, they would probably function different.

Or painting of homes or walls. Three choices of shades between black and white don't offer much variety.

I think many things would be different, even language would be different. Style of clothing, shoes, art, movies, ext would all be different.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 05:17 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

This kid is not color blind. He had his eyes removed at a very young age because of cancer.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c49dS76KhGc[/youtube]

Why the apostrophe?
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 07:55 am
If nobody ever had colour vision, people couldn't be "colour blind". Just saying.
0 Replies