From a kid's point of view, is going to court interesting or boring?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 04:32 am
Have you thought of putting on court TV, and see what he thinks of that first?
boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 07:54 am
@manored,
Quote:
In reality anything can be massively interesting if you know where to look.

One of my favorite quotes ever is from Walt Disney:

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 08:00 am
@Butrflynet,
I can't imagine anything that would come up in cross examination that would be problematic.

Our attorney told Mr. B that he should expect to be there no more than 1 hour but even it it's longer I think Mo would have no problem keeping it together. We routinely take loooong car trips and plane rides. He has no problem with that other than "Are we there yet?"
boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 08:00 am
@BillRM,
That's a good way to look at it!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 08:02 am
@izzythepush,
I'm not trying to get him interested in law, just wondering if this particular experience with law might be interesting.

I'm positive he'd find court TV terribly boring. He finds most TV terribly boring.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 08:05 am
@boomerang,
I think it's commendable. I only wish as a child I would've had such an opportunity. I think about 12 years of age was about right for me to keep my interest.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:51 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
Our attorney told Mr. B that he should expect to be there no more than 1 hour but even it it's longer I think Mo would have no problem keeping it together.

Then there should be no problem at all if it's only an hour or so. And, for part of that time, his dad will be testifying. I think he'll find the whole experience interesting. He'll not only get to see our judicial system in action, but he'll see his father as a part of it, and that will make it special for him.

If he understands beforehand why Mr. B was asked to testify in this case, and what information he has to offer, Mo could probably better appreciate and understand the kinds of questions both sides are likely to ask his father and that would help to make it even more interesting for him.

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 11:01 am
@firefly,
Agreed.

Once Mr. B found out that his "window" where he had to make himself available was so small we agreed that it was worth missing school for.

I said "our attorney" but it isn't our attorney since we're not the ones prosecuting the guy -- the state is. Maybe that helps things to run on a tighter schedule.
0 Replies