The Canada Thread

Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I think you're wrong Walter, then again, I'm not sure where you live. I had friends stationed in Baden Baden less than 20yrs ago. My friend's son was born on the base. I remember sending her boxes of baby clothes because she couldn't afford the prices in Germany.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:29 am
@Ceili,
I'm not wrong, since "our" Canadians moved to Lahr/Black Forest (and Baden-Baden region) Wink

Fort MacLeod, Fort Chambly, Fort Anne, Fort Prince of Wales, Fort Beausejour, Fort Henry, Fort St Loius, Fort Qu'Appelle, Fort York andFort Victoria were closed in 1971/1972 respectively taken over by British (and Belgian) troops.

Quote:
Following the departure of 4CMBG to Lahr in 1971 the majority of the Canadian Forts/Barracks were occupied by elements of the newly arrived 3rd (UK) Armoured Division, and 6 Armoured Brigade in particular, following the restructuring of 1st (British) Corps.
Source
Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 01:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Ok. I didn't realize we had more than one base. I learn something everyday.. thanks.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 01:22 pm
@Ceili,
Actually the base in Baden-Söllingen was rather small, compared to that in Lahr. But Lahr only became large, because troops from here were send there.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 01:24 pm
@Ceili,
Baden Baden is the one (usually the only one) most Canajuns know about. Not sure why, but who cares eh Very Happy
Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 01:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I always thought Lahr was an American base.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 01:32 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Baden Baden is the one (usually the only one) most Canajuns know about. Not sure why, but who cares eh Very Happy

I care! And it has been called "CFB Baden-Soellingen", and during the last years of its existence it just was a detachment of CFB Lahr ... Wink
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 01:36 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I always thought Lahr was an American base.

It was in the French Zone - thus, two wings of No.1 Air Division were stationed in France as well
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 01:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Are there any foreign bases in Germany now?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 01:49 pm
@Ceili,
We've got here still quite a lot of British garrisons - though they will leave Germany completely until 2020. (About 60,000 personal now.)
Then, we've the Dutch here - they are engaged now (since, maybe ten years) in a combined German-Dutch Corps.

In the former American Zone, there are still about (less than) 100,000 personal.

The French still have less than 3,000 personal here.

There are no Russians bases since 1990/1991.

The Belgians left 1995 (in our district town, there was the largest Belgian grammarschool besides two in Bruxelles!).
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:04 pm
@Ceili,
ceili ,
don't know if john a. ever took the train out west , but he sure didn't like the liberals :

Quote:
he responded to his opponent's query of his drunkenness with "It goes to show that I would rather have a drunk Conservative than a sober Liberal.".

btw. pierre berton's story about the canadian railway likely has info about that .
it's a rather large book - as most of his books are .
Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Interesting, thanks Walter. Do Germans like having all these remnants from WWII?
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:08 pm
@Ceili,
ceili ,
the book about john a is called " the national dream " .

http://www.randomhouse.ca/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780385658409
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:08 pm
@hamburgboy,
My parents have that book, I should probably read it at sometime. It looks a little overwhelming, but I may take a wade through it soon.
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:13 pm
@Ceili,
ceili ,
a good read - fairly easy reading - good for winter nights - or summers at the beach Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:16 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Interesting, thanks Walter. Do Germans like having all these remnants from WWII?

As long as they are there - generally 'yes', I think.

It only really gets worse, when they've left ... because then, you've got "suddenly" hundreds of old, run-down houses, barracks and barrack grounds, you don't know what to with ...
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
walter wrote :

Quote:

It only really gets worse, when they've left ... because then, you've got "suddenly" hundreds of old, run-down houses, barracks and barrack grounds, you don't know what to with ...

walter ,
that sounds similar to what we saw in the former east-germany after the soviets left ! Shocked

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:28 pm
http://sorryworld.ca/harper.jpg

Sorry World.
We messed up.

We know you look to us as one of the last great strongholds of common sense in a swirling sea of crazy on this big ol’ crazy planet of ours.

Decriminalized marijuana, same-sex marriage, our peace keeping force, universal health care, education, our stance on environment, human rights, and religious freedom made us looked pretty darn awesome.

Now we're realizing that those things that made us awesome are being taken away from us, and it's not just us Canadians who are paying the price.

Turns out some of us thought it would be a grand idea to put this ******* guy in charge.

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01143/_Stephen_Harper_1143103cl-8.jpg

Well, actually, it wasn’t so much that we put him in charge as it is we failed not to.

We goofed. We took our stick off the ice. We pulled a real boner. For that we apologize.

But, hey. 2015 is just around the corner. Hopefully, we’ve learned our lesson, and we’ll do better next time.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:32 pm
http://unicornbooty.com/blog/2012/01/12/canadian-govt-dissolves-thousands-of-same-sex-marriages-including-dan-savages/
Thousands of LGBT couples across the world awoke this morning to learn that they are no longer married.
A Department of Justice lawyer under Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservative Party of Canada government has nullified all same-sex marriages performed in Canada in which the couples’ native country does not permit gays and lesbians to marry.
The reversal of federal policy is revealed in a document filed in a Toronto test case launched recently by a lesbian couple seeking a divorce. Wed in Toronto in 2005, the couple have been told they cannot divorce because they were never really married – a Department of Justice lawyer says their marriage is not legal in Canada since they could not have lawfully wed in Florida or England, where the two partners reside.
The two women – professionals in the their early 30s – cannot be identified under a court order. But Martha McCarthy, a prominent Toronto lawyer who represents them, said the government’s about-face is astonishing.
“It is scandalous,” she said in an interview. “It is offensive to their dignity and human rights to suggest they weren’t married or that they have something that is a nullity.”
Ms. McCarthy, who played an instrumental role in the fight to legalize same-sex marriage, said Ontario has tried to duck the volatile test case by deferring to the federal government.
“It is appalling and outrageous that two levels of government would be taking this position without ever having raised it before, telling anybody it was an issue or doing anything pro-active about it,” she said. “All the while, they were handing out licences to perform marriages across the country to non-resident people.”

Newspapers across the world are covered in headlines about this savage and unprecedented attack on LGBT people.
Dan Savage, who wed his husband (now boyfriend) in Vancouver in 2005, weighs in:
There will be lawsuits, time and money will be wasted, oceans of ink and pixels will be spilled, before this issue—the full civil equality of gays and lesbians—winds up before the Supreme Court of Canada. I’m confident that justice will prevail—God bless the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms—but the decision to reopen this issue is going to be one massive distraction for the Canadian government.
Gays and lesbians inside and outside of Canada are going to make sure of it.
Now if you’ll excuse me I need to go wake up my husband and tell him we got divorced last night.

Critics of this attack on LGBT people have noted both online and off that if gay marriages are now without legal standing in Canada if the couple’s homeland forbids them, are Middle Eastern women living in Canada now stripped of their rights to vote, drive a car, or even show their hair? Is being gay now punishable by death in Canada if you’re from Uganda? Is blogging or criticizing your government now illegal for Egyptians living in Canada?
We can hardly believe we are reporting this. Expect massive coverage in the coming days.
How would you feel to wake up divorced by a foreign government after years of marriage?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:35 pm
@Ceili,
Harper's bizarre.