The Canada Thread

farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 06:19 pm
@hamburgboy,
I have a C Crane radio. It works just fine in our wireless network house. When I hook up a dipole, I can receive signals in my barn and outbuildings
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 08:08 pm
I wonder if you can listen live only in Canada? I couldn't get any of the links to broadcast live - but could hear some recorded talks, etc.

I know that some ABC programmes from here can't be heard overseas.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 08:11 pm
@margo,
I had the same problem, margo.
But was too polite to say, after hamburger went to so much trouble. Smile
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 08:13 pm
@margo,
Hmmm, I gget em fine, course Im just beneath Canadas bladder
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 08:23 pm
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 08:32 pm
@msolga,
msolga ,
no trouble at all - i have a lot ( too many !!! ) of links under " favourites " .
the sound quality on my laptop is not very good , so some overseas broadcasts and also youtube videos have poor quality .
eheth has suggested that i buy some auxiliary speakers to boost the sound output - just haven't done it .
on my old computer the sound was certainly better - but the speakers were pretty substantial .
hbg
msolga

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 08:35 pm
@hamburgboy,
Oh but Oz radio worked on the second link you provided, hamburger! Smile
hamburgboy

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 08:41 pm
@msolga,
msolga ,
can access european radio stations ?

( i have noticed that some youtube vid-clips are not accessible from canada ) .

give " deutsche welle" a try and see what happens .
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 08:44 pm
@msolga,
msolga ,
can access european radio stations ?

( i have noticed that some youtube vid-clips are not accessible from canada ) .

give " deutsche welle" a try and see what happens .

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,266,00.html?id=266

ypu can set the language in the upper right .

good luck !
msolga

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 08:53 pm
@hamburgboy,
Just picked up the tv link, hamburger
And world link (audio).
Thank you.
(I'm feeling a wee bit guilty about diverting this thread from Canada to my reception difficulties, though.)
ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 08:59 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

(I'm feeling a wee bit guilty about diverting this thread from Canada to my reception difficulties, though.)

but Canajuns love to be helpful! sometimes (not always) it feels like a whole country of Scouts

(Set can come in some time and tell his stories about Canajuns showing their transit passes to empty chairs - we're hopelessly lawful sometimes)
hamburgboy

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 09:05 pm
the latest news from canada Laughing

Quote:
10 January 2012 Last updated at 11:47 .

Canada anti-terror barrier 'foiled by mussels'

Halifax is home to the Navy's Atlantic fleet .

A floating barrier designed to prevent a Canadian harbour from terror attacks has been removed because mussels and kelp weighed it down, it is reported.

The company that installed the 1.6km (1m) fence to protect navy ships in Halifax harbour confirmed it had been dismantled, CBC News said.

A Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) spokesman said the barrier had been removed for scheduled maintenance.

Installed in 2007, the project cost an estimated C$3.5m (£2.2m).

The fence, designed to foil small boats carrying explosives towards the Royal Canadian Navy ships docked in the harbour, was also hurt by tough waves.

"It's definitely a tricky spot," Dennis Smith, chief executive of a US company that installs similar fences, told CBC. "It's just constant 24/7, 365 pounding of the product."

Halifax is the home of the RCN's Atlantic fleet, from where HMCS Charlottetown recently departed for a six-month Nato counter-terrorism mission in the Mediterranean.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 09:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Smile
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 09:10 pm
@ehBeth,
msolga, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason here, post away. Anything you like.

A country full of scouts.. ha ha ha love it!!

I once heard Robert Kennedy Jr. describe the difference between Canadians and Americans. He said, a Canadian will pull up to a set of lights at 3 am, stop and wait for the light to change, even if the road, intersection is completely deserted. We are awfully lawful aren't we.. lol
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 08:01 am
Where else can you buy a bag of homo milk?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 08:11 am
@ehBeth,
We were entering the subway station under some high rise office buildings in downtown t.o., and the chair at the barrier was empty--apparently, the TTC employee had had to use the bathroom, or was just taking a break. People going through the barrier were putting the tokens in the hopper, or flashing their metro passes at an empty chair. In New York, word would have spread quickly and the entry way would have been choked with people looking to get a free subway ride.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 07:53 pm
@Setanta,
How many Canadians does it take to change a lightbulb?

At least 3 or 4. One to screw in the new bulb, the others to go around apologizing to everbody about the brief period of darkness.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:39 pm
if this is " The Canada Thread " we might want to remember that this is good old john's birthday !

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Macdonald1878.jpg

Quote:
Sir John Alexander Macdonald, GCB, KCMG, PC, PC (Can), QC (11 January 1815 – 6 June 1891) was the first Prime Minister of Canada. The dominant figure of Canadian Confederation, his political career spanned almost half a century. Macdonald served 19 years as Canadian Prime Minister; only William Lyon Mackenzie King served longer.

Macdonald was born in Scotland; when he was a boy his family emigrated to Kingston, Upper Canada (today in eastern Ontario). He articled with a local lawyer, who died before Macdonald qualified, and Macdonald opened his own practice, although not yet entitled to do so. He was involved in several high-profile cases and quickly became prominent in Kingston, which enabled him to seek and obtain a legislative seat in 1844. He served in the legislature of the colonial Province of Canada and by 1857 had become premier under the colony's unstable political system.

When in 1864 no party proved capable of governing for long, Macdonald agreed to a proposal from his political rival, George Brown, that the parties unite in a Great Coalition to seek federation and political reform. Macdonald was the leading figure in the subsequent discussions and conferences, which resulted in the British North America Act and the birth of Canada as a nation on 1 July 1867.

Macdonald was designated as the first Prime Minister of the new nation, and served in that capacity for most of the remainder of his life, losing office for five years in the 1870s over the Pacific Scandal (bribery in the financing of the Canadian Pacific Railway). After regaining his position, he saw the railroad through to completion in 1885, a means of transportation and freight conveyance that helped unite Canada as one nation. Macdonald is credited with creating a Canadian Confederation despite many obstacles, and expanding what was a relatively small colony to cover the northern half of North America. By the time of his death in 1891, Canada had secured most of the territory it occupies today.

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 01:36 am
Thanks Hamburger.. and a very belated happy birthday to Sir John A...
I wonder if he actually ever took the train out west?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:01 am
It's a bit more than 40 years ago that the last Canadian troops left our district (and state).
And since November 1970, we were unable here to listen to the best radio program until then: “At 87.8 on the FM-dial, this is Canadian Forces Radio CAE in Werl, Germany…