The Canada Thread

Ceili

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 09:44 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/561630_406065276155050_407098571_n.jpg
Toronto this morning.. yeesh, that's a lot of snow.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/600599_406059759488935_693894651_n.jpg
May the force be metaphorically with him..
Letty

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 10:32 am
@Ceili,
Ceili, it just occurred to me that you sing. I had forgotten that.

Here's an interesting version of Shelter from the Storm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYheMSKdqEY

and, some info on the lady.

Lisa Ono is a popular Japanese-Brazilian bossa nova singer
Ceili

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 07:34 pm
@Letty,
Thanks Letty. Ironically, I heard her yesterday on the radio. I sing. But I've never mastered the bossa nova. Hell, I'm not even sure if I can dance to it. Wink
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 09:01 pm
@Ceili,
is it time to eat brown snow in Canadia yet?

I remember several brown snow shaks in the Rivier du Loup area of Quebec
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 07:58 pm
Canadian country-folk legend Stompin' Tom Connors died Wednesday at age 77. A few days earlier the musician penned a letter to fans that he wanted published after his death, his spokesman said. Here is a copy of the letter published on the singer's official website.

Hello friends, I want all my fans, past, present, or future, to know that without you, there would have not been any Stompin' Tom.
It was a long hard bumpy road, but this great country kept me inspired with its beauty, character, and spirit, driving me to keep marching on and devoted to sing about its people and places that make Canada the greatest country in the world.
I must now pass the torch, to all of you, to help keep the Maple Leaf flying high, and be the Patriot Canada needs now and in the future.
I humbly thank you all, one last time, for allowing me in your homes, I hope I continue to bring a little bit of cheer into your lives from the work I have done.
Sincerely,
Your Friend always,
Stompin' Tom Connors

Thomas Charles "Stompin' Tom" Connors, OC (February 9, 1936 – March 6, 2013) was one of Canada's most prolific and well-known country and folk singer-songwriters. Focusing his career exclusively on his native Canada, Connors is credited with writing more than 300 songs and has released four dozen albums, with total sales of nearly 4 million copies. Connors died at age 77 in his home in Ballinafad, Ontario on March 6, 2013, from natural causes.

A good mix of his songs.

His most famous song. His lone appearance on American TV, when Conan came to Canada.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 08:11 pm
@Ceili,
Stompin' Tom and Max Ferguson the same day.

Stompin' Tom songs and performances mark so many transition points and people in my life.

Ceili

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 09:21 pm
@ehBeth,
It's a sad day indeed.
I had forgotten about Max, till today. Sad I used to love his shows.
I only saw him perform once. I swear just about every great memory I have is marked at one point or another with one of his songs. Camping trips, bbqs, ski trips, dances, weddings, hockey games, and yes, even work.
He'll be missed. I'm glad he went peacefully.
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 09:22 pm
@ehBeth,
did you ever read Stompin' Tom's autobiography : Before the Fame ?

http://www.amazon.ca/Stompin-Tom-Connors/dp/0140251111

it's a wonderful ( but also somewhat sad ) acoount of his life .

i see that the price of his book has sky-rocketed , so you might want to borrow it from the library ( if you have not read it yet ) .
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 09:30 pm
@ehBeth,
had not heard that Max passed away till i read your post .

there is another great book to be read : ... and now... here's Max

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2761059-and-now-here-s-max

Quote:
Now Canadians need no longer wait for the CBC to re-run recordings of Max Ferguson’s notorious radio shows (assuming that the tapes have not all been destroyed by court order). A full dose of his lunacy, depravity, and flagrant disregard for CBC management can now be enjoyed at any hour of the day or night simply by reading a copy of And Now… Here’s Max, his scandalous memoir of a life in broadcasting at the CBC.(

i found the book in a bargain bin for a dollar in 2008 , unfortunately ... ...

i put it into the auction Sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 07:40 am
@Ceili,
One of my happiest Stompin' Tom memories has to do with a car ride with the hamburgers and their friends, Murray and Glenace. We were all in a car together, driving to a small town fish fry in Prince Edward County.

I'd put a Stompin' Tom greatest hits tape in. Glenace started to sing along, then I did, then my mother .... then hamburgboy and Murray started to hum.

It was a great ride.

At the fish fry, Murray told stories about his youth that some of the Stompin' Tom songs had made him think about.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 07:38 pm
@Ceili,
If you haven't already listened to this (or want to hear it again)

http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2013/3/The-Stompin-Tom-Connors-Hour-listen-to-a-radio-doc-remembering-the-Canadian-legend
Ceili

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 10:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks, I heard it parts of it tonight. But I must have heard it before, or sections of it because it seemed like I'd heard it before. He really does say picking padadas... Smile
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 10:35 pm
@ehBeth,
I love this story. I've never been to PEI, but I saw it from N.S. Too bad I didn't have the time to visit. I really wanted to see it. I did see the red soil though. They've got swaths of it in N.S. and red highways too.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 09:01 pm
John Doyle: How Stompin’ Tom Connors made me a true Canadian
JOHN DOYLE
The other night, after Stompin’ Tom Connors had died, many evening news programs opened with that news. The emphasis was on The Hockey Song because that was, presumably, what instantly came to mind for the producers and reporters in the TV news racket.

Hockey, that ubiquitous song, Tom Connors. The connections made and delivered.

The next day, with more time to contemplate, coverage was a bit more thoughtful. On CBC’s The National, Rex Murphy rhapsodized about Tom’s old-fashioned patriotism. Romeo Dallaire talked about Tom inspiring Canada’s peacekeepers.

In another brief bit on The National, somebody interviewed my old friend Dave Bidini about his personal plea to Stompin’ Tom to come out of retirement, back in the day. Bidini had mere seconds to tell the story.

And there, right there, was the story that matters. The story of how the culture can shift, slightly, and then profoundly, through small acts by people, some famous and some not. These are the stories that never really get told, certainly not on the TV news.

I’ll tell you about it. Some of the details are hazy, thanks to the fog of time. Some of those involved will argue about the details. Who said what. Or when exactly it happened. This is memory, this is memoir. And a memoir is not what happened, precisely in order and in logical fashion; it is how you remember things.

It was the mid-1980s. The first thing to know is that few people cared much about Stompin’ Tom then. He’d retired. He was not recording or performing. If his name came up at all, it was in the context of nostalgia for a time in the 1970s when he was popular, his songs celebrated. Some people remembered that Tom had been angry at the Juno Awards, packed up his trophies and returned them, and then disappeared, in bitterness they presumed. Some people thought he had died.

At that time I was a student at York University, as was Dave Bidini. We were both involved in an attempt to set up a campus radio station, then called Radio York. We spent a lot of time hanging out at the Radio York office and another stalwart in the adventure was Alan Round who, along with Dave, is one of my oldest friends. We spent long days in that dilapidated space. Alan was and is obsessed with a certain kind of Canadiana. He has, for instance, taken many long train trips and could tell you about obscure towns in Northern Ontario and where to drink there.

He was mainly obsessed with Stompin’ Tom Connors. He played Tom’s albums all day, every day in that Radio York space. There was a summer when a few of us got funding to make applications to the CRTC to set up a real station. I was there, Alan was there every day and Dave was often around. I learned the words to a lot of Stompin’ Tom songs. I’d only been in Canada a few years and the songs were a penetrating revelation. The celebration of ordinariness. The telling of Canadian stories, big and small. The wit and humour. It helped make me truly Canadian.

Dave Bidini absorbed it all, too. He was a musician, part of the Rheostatics, a band, still kids then, really, who were a bit punk and New Wave and at that point in their development where they either found a direction or withered away. Maybe it was during that summer that Dave went to Ireland for a while. There, he became friends with my parents and absorbed some of Ireland too, especially the music, traditional and pop, that struck him as unabashedly Irish and local. He had some Stompin’ Tom songs on a tape and played them for people who asked about music in Canada. He also met our mutual friend Tess Hurson, and her friend Belinda, who at that time was dating a nice school teacher named Roddy Doyle, but that’s another story.

When he was back, he became dogged about making Stompin’ Tom’s music matter again. At that time Canadian music was awful – Platinum Blonde, Corey Hart, Luba, that kind of synthetic pop. Dave tracked down Tom in a small Ontario town. Then he crashed Tom’s 50th birthday party and presented him with a petition, asking him to come back, for the sake of young Canadian musicians who wanted Canada back in Canadian music. Tom, wary at first, took it to heart. He did come back, out of the wilderness. It was only then, after the comeback, that The Hockey Song became an anthem and Tom’s ferociously Canadian songs reached a new, younger and bigger audience.

The Rheostatics became the ultra-Canadian band, singing songs about hockey, and all manner of Canadian stories. They became famous for that. The Tragically Hip admired them for it and took them on tour. Dave Bidini became a distinguished author, publishing many great books about hockey, music and, really, about Canada. I became who I am, a columnist and author, a nationalist, and I still know the words to a lot of Stompin’ Tom songs.

Alan Round left York University and took a job driving a truck for Canada Post. He’s not a musician or media figure. He’s still driving a truck for Canada Post. But it was his obsession with Stompin’ Tom, his insistence that Dave Bidini and I be as familiar with Tom’s songs as he was, that sparked everything, at a time when Tom was almost forgotten. He made Dave Bidini listen and eventually Stompin’ Tom listened to Dave and came back, out of his retirement, to truly shape Canadian music and culture.

Some of the details are hazy. Some of those involved will argue about them. But two things are absolutely true. Alan, unknown and uncelebrated, except by his friends, helped shape a shift in Canadian culture and Alan, driving a truck for a living, was and is Stompin’ Tom’s kind of people.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/john-doyle-how-stompin-tom-connors-made-me-a-true-canadian/article9555507/
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 11:26 pm

A friend of mine, Mike Plume wrote this ode to Stompin' Tom. He's been asked to play at the memorial. I still don't know if we'll be able to see it in W. Canada.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 08:52 pm

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/486408_10151370282076299_1349941208_n.png
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 09:52 am
I just remembered that Tai Chi was a vocalist. Here's one for her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE3WEMWub3A

and, of course, this poem that tells a story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9EjBuCYTdY

Region, that was funny.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 11:13 am
It may be of some interest that the largest and most complete exhibition about the Iroquois is now on display in ..... Germany at the
Federal Exhibition Hall in Bonn.

Quote:
The present exhibition will attempt to trace the develoment of Iroquois culture from its origins up to its vibrant articulations in the present-day United States and Canada, following their varied history through colonial times characterized by war, trade, and European missionary efforts; the subsequent weakening of their power through loss of land and political autonomy and the eventual break-up of the League after the American Revolution; the cultural transformations during the Reservation period; and their strive for sovereignty in the twentieth century up to very contemporary concerns.

But it will move later to be shown ..... in Germany again, in Berlin, at the Martin-Gropius-Bau.

Just wondering, why there was no interest for such an exhibition in Canada or the USA ...
Ceili

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 12:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, I live in an area that is predominantly Cree, Dene and Blackfoot. The Iroquois are on the other side of the country. I would love to see this exhibit.
I've been to many museums across Canada that feature Native crafts and examples of how they lived. But... We are not lacking Native culture here. They teach natives languages in many schools and there are two schools here exclusively for native secondary and highschool students. I've been to Pow wows and reserves and have a few native family members as well as many friends. I cherish my conversations with the elders.
I'm interested in their history in culture but I live with them, so museums aren't really necessary. My friends tell me when good books, movies, tv show, plays or even articles that are of interest are on. And I've been to many of their ancestral homelands, as have many Canadians.
There is no lack of interest here, but I've noticed an almost cult like interest from Germany. There are places in Canada Germans tend to go that are quite different from other nations idea of a holiday. Wink I've met many German tourists here and in N. BC, they seem to come here to search out the native people in far larger numbers than any other place on earth.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 12:28 pm
@Ceili,
What I've read, tribe representatives said that no-one had tried to organise such a huge exhibition before in Canada. And the cultural attaché said, they didn't have a location to present it ...
The Bonn museum is trying to find a place, though, they said.

The only trouble has been .... the snow here, since they reconstructed a longhouse in front of the museum.

Photos here