The Canada Thread

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:06 pm
@ossobuco,
I was sorry to see that.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:22 pm
Hey, it happens. What about the guy who shot up the university in Quebec a while back?

Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/École_Polytechnique_massacre

and another:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concordia_University_massacre

And another:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson_College_shooting

Hey, never noticed it before... they all happened in Quebec.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:39 pm
@MMarciano,
It's been a rough couple of months here. Something going on with a couple of Somali gangs apparently. Most of it wouldn't make the news anywhere else, but it's still a shock when it happens here.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 05:13 pm
@ehBeth,
we are down here in the deep south and on SUNDAY, the newspaper ran a story about these two kids who got themselves some rifles and were randomly shooting at people on I 95. They only hiy one person , (who wasnt seriously ounded) but they peppered several cars.
WIth the unfettered access to guns being sported by folks like DAve, such heinous acts will continue.
I think there should be zero tolerance and some better controls pver gun ownership.

The actual events where someone protects himself or his business by shooting a perp , are actually in the teeny minority in the US. e have many many more of these gun nuts who just do this **** for the hell of it.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 06:29 pm
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/canada.png
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 06:57 pm
@MMarciano,
Marco, this wasn't a put down. This thread is about Canada, warts and all. It ain't all maple sugar and snow-capped mountains up here in America's attic. Crime happens here, it's not normally big news in the US.. but we've definitely got our fair share. This is a shocking event, a terrible crime with terrible consequences. Why would anyone go to a family party and bring a gun, never mind start shooting? in any country? Blows my mind..
Beth's right about the Somalian community. We had a rash of mostly young male kids murdered in my city a few years ago. It was all gang related but usually it was done quietly. There were a few more violent events, at least one hall party, none of these event put whole groups of people in danger though. Not like the most recent shootings in Toronto although it had all the makings of becoming more desperate and brazen with each death. And like Toronto, innocents were often caught in the cross fire.
Things have quieted down here, last year, my city held the dubious honour of being the Murder City of Canada. This year, if the records hold true, we could have a record low.. fingers crossed.
Maybe people finally started talking to the police here. They didn't for the longest time.. like what is happening now in T.O.
The Somalia community in Canada is not very big and it's very, very new. They come from a war torn land with very different sets of rules. It will take them a while to trust the police and the general populace and a while longer still to stop being afraid of the few warlord wanna beeees.
Sadly, it doesn't look like it calming down in Toronto any time soon. Hopefully, I'm wrong. It would suck if anymore people are killed or hurt because of this stupid turf war.

panzade

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:09 pm
@Ceili,
Unfortunately Marco, we have a new record for a massacre last night in Colorado.

Today all the talk at the water cooler was about the assault rifle. Assault rifle in a movie theater?
May Canada be spared this type of tragedy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 09:50 am
Wow! This was a surprise to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e1aMuv-L5s
Ceili

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 11:24 pm
@Letty,
The most surprising thing about that trailer is the mountains. Saskatchewan is flat, there are hills in the north and more lakes than the average person could visit in a lifetime, but not one mountain. lol
Letty

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 04:28 am
@Ceili,
Remember equus, Ceili? We had fund discovering the Anachronisms in movies. That was a prime example of one.
Letty

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:07 pm
Oops, that should have been FUN!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 04:05 pm
http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/episode/2012/07/20/best-of-this-is-that-pay-per-use-parks-banff-cougars-casual-friday-police-and-401-bicycle-commuter/
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 03:23 am
@Letty,
That was not the only one. The "Mounties" did not start wearing red coats until after the Boer War. They were given the red coats in recognition of their service in that war. Previously (and in the era covered by that goofy film) they wore blue coats. But more than that, they had previously been the Northwest Mounted Police. They did not become the Royal Canadian Mounted Police until 1920.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 07:12 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/427061_10151012893418097_1867761461_n.jpg
Too sweet.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 06:17 am
How are you Canadians reacting to the shooting in Montreal at the PQ victory rally?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 06:30 am
@George,
From what I see/hear at the office, the majority of the people don't even know there was a provincial election in Quebec, and of the ones who noticed the provincial election - maybe a handful know the results or know about the shooting.

The biggest news coming out of the election in Quebec was speculation about what Captain Canada (Jean Charest) plans to do next. The buzz seems to be ... some time off to greet a new grandchild and then perhaps running for leadership of the Federal liberals.

The results were so mixed that there will probably be another election there in about a year. The three main parties split things more evenly than the pundits had predicted. It's almost like a null result.
George

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 02:03 pm
@ehBeth,
I thought there'd be a stronger reaction.
Of course, here in the States, it went almost totally unnoticed.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 08:57 pm
@George,
Like Beth said, the election results aren't all that shocking.There was a wait-and-see attitude out west.
We all knew Quebec was in a pissy mood. They've had scores of issues that the rest of us don't seem to have. Student demonstrations and riots.. over rising tuition costs that would make an American weep. Add the Mob related infrastructure issues and then the government/big business corruption related allegations and charges. Think also, that the average quebecois pays of the highest taxes in Canada, is pre-occupied with the war on language, the eastern economy is in a bit of a doldrums, the maple syrup reserves have been pilfered and then, to all this misery the heat related crop failure. The populace is angry.
In the federal election, they gave the separatists the boot. This election was no ringing endorsement of them.
It was however a trigger, apparently, to a bad man. He feared with the election results, that as an anglefone, he would be further persecuted.
It's simple and yet so inexplicable. And horrible, none-the-less.
Ceili

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 11:37 pm
http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/ken-lum.jpg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 11:40 pm
@Ceili,
hold the phone...

"the maple syrup reserves have been pilfered"...

why wasn't I informed of this?

do the mounties have their man yet?

I suspect Boris Badenov...