Are my careers going to cancel each other out?

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 08:24 pm
So I've been working on three things: being an academic, being an opera/musical theatre director and being a journalist.

I'm putting on a production of for a fringe opera festival in August; so I can't review it for the magazine I reviewed it for last year. Then I'm doing fieldwork on contemporary music theatre ensembles this summer, and I'm just wondering if they'd think I was either sizing them up for competition, but also if I had to review them and mentioned any criticisms it would get awkward. I guess I'll just have to see how all of them are going in a couple of years and pick the one I like best?

The only reason this is a problem is because contemporary experimental music theatre is the only think I want to do with my life or know anything about.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,664 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 08:49 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Whaddaya do with all that spare time you've got on your hands?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 10:55 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I think if you are scrupulously honest in your reviews your reputation will ease any fears your competitors have about your biases. Personally I'd hate to see you let any of the strands at your career go for any reason other than your choice free of external pressure.

PS still getting around the adjectival phrase 'contemporary experimental' Smile
0 Replies

manored

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 09:02 am
Being an artist and at the same time critic of that same form of art really doesnt sound like it can work =)

Maybe you could try checking out other forms of art, if you grow interested in any you could start learning about and reviewing that one instead of the one you make yourself, when there would be no problems with accusations of bias.
0 Replies