TV advice

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 05:22 pm
@DrewDad,
From a quick glance online, it looks like an Apple TV is probably more economical than trying to connect your computer from another room.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 05:25 pm
@DrewDad,
They're all in the same room actually, (our one computer, our one TV, and the Airport for the computer and our one iPod -- and also E.G.'s work laptop). Just that there is a stretch of floor in between and I wouldn't want a cable going across it.

If Apple TV is more economical though, that's probably the direction I'd go.
0 Replies

softballstar 48

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 10:29 pm
@sozobe,
i was watching tv and there was a really cute tv that came in black or white the company was called higher. the picture is amazing and the colors just pop out of the screen. it is also not so expensive. it is also portable and has a built in dvd player on the side.and a really good thing is that it is about $200 to$300. i think u should consider it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 10:08 am
This is where I am now:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40D630-40-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B004SHKELG

Input welcome.

Maybe with an Apple TV too -- not sure of that.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 10:14 am
@sozobe,
Cool. Looks like a good choice.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 10:50 am
@sozobe,
Excellent choice (USD $700 ballpark). My personal purchase almost 2 yrs ago is very smiliar. I own the one year older and 46-inch-version of that HDtv. Have had no regrets picking Samsung as their reliability is legendary. Movies watching is excellent as is sports. Hell, even the commericals are fun to watch too. It is very economical on electricity use...an often overlooked feature. It throws off almost no heat either...due to LED technology.

This consumer reviewer on Amazon sums it up well.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2X8EK8V71L22C/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2X8EK8V71L22C
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 11:50 am
@sozobe,
Looks like a great choice. When I pulled up sellers, I noticed Sears carries this. If you are uncomfortable with buying a TV online, that might be a decent option.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 06:33 pm
@sozobe,
Heya Soz - I bought the Apple TV instead of the BoxiBox - $80 cheaper and smaller, too. It's all getting installed on the 16th Smile whoo hoo Apparently you get 909 free tv channels with the AppTV - who knew? And once it's up and running, I'm going to get a Harmony remote to combine all my remote devices into one. I hate having 4 remotes hanging around.
sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 01:30 pm
@Mame,
Less than a week 'til media heaven!

I'm getting closer and closer. E.G. may yet get his wish.

I went to the Apple store to look at the Apple TV. So cool. Awesome.

I said to the Apple dude, "so I think I want this but I don't actually know what TV to get to pair it with. Any suggestions?"

He said that what he has at home is the Apple TV + a cheap HDTV he got on Amazon. I asked for further details, and he said "here I'll show you" and called this up:

http://www.amazon.com/L40FHDF12TA-40-Inch-1080p-2-Year-Warranty/dp/B004UETB20

He said he's really happy with it.

60 hz rather than 120, otherwise in line with what I wanted. He said he hasn't noticed any problems at all with 60 hz.

I think I am more comfortable with the idea of a dumb/ cheap TV and nice Apple TV, then upgrading in 3-5 years instead of 10 or whatever.

By then, Apple's TV (not to be confused with Apple TV!) might be a) out and b) affordable. Who knows.

I've seen so many reviews that say variations of "this $400 TV works better than the $1,500 Sony I got three years ago." I know the pace of technological advances has to slow eventually, but...

So this plus Apple TV plus shipping comes out to a whopping $418. Pretty good.

My one remaining question (I forgot to ask when I was at the Apple store, hate calling via relay, couldn't find the answer for sure on the Apple site or via Google):

If I have Apple TV, do I need a DVD player?

I think not -- I think I can put the DVD in my iMac, and then play it on the TV via Apple TV.

I'm not sure though.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 01:42 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Apparently you get 909 free tv channels with the AppTV - who knew?

Not me....

I wonder what channels they are?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 01:57 pm
@DrewDad,
Roku has channels, too. Things like Disney (movie clips and music videos, more like a website than a TV channel), TED talks, Kahn Academy, and Amazon Streaming.

I'm still learning all of the ins-and-outs. It's frustrating because there isn't a standard interface among the "channels." (Again, kinda like the web.)

You can only search the "channel" you currently have selected.

#firstworldproblems
Irishk

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 02:18 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
If I have Apple TV, do I need a DVD player?

I think not -- I think I can put the DVD in my iMac, and then play it on the TV via Apple TV.

I'm not sure though.
From looking at the user's guide, I'm pretty sure you can just use your iMac for DVDs.

The 2-year warranty is fabulous (depending upon what all it covers). Remember, if you pay with VISA, your warranty will be doubled to 4 years.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 04:39 pm
@DrewDad,
I don't know. Both salesmen in the two stores said it the same way - 'free channels'. One offered 900 and the other 909. I'll find out on Monday, I guess. I'll ask my husband to ask them what they meant.

Soz, I don't know if you 'need' a DVD player, but we got one because we're pretty technologically backwards and I haven't even downloaded the photos on my iphone to my mac yet Smile I wouldn't know how to stream one thing to the next and my husband just got a laptop last year! He was using an ancient desktop for the past n years. He even took it to camp with him - LOLOLOL That was so funny!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 06:50 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
#firstworldproblems
Smile I've been browsing the gadgetry at CES 2012 and see that one manufacturer has unveiled an app for TV that responds to voice commands. You just have to say, "I want to watch Tomorrow Never Dies on Netflix", or, "How about a comedy?", and presto! Lots of cool stuff there this year - I'm suffering gadgetry-overload and I love gadgets lol.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 07:55 am
@sozobe,
So how's the new TV working out?

I saw this article and it made me think of this thread.
Irishk

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 11:20 am
@DrewDad,
That's what we did...bought a dumb TV with a smart blu-ray player (only because it was offered *free* in a promotion by the local electronics store). (And, the TV is actually somewhat upgradeable through firmware updates, although those have to be downloaded on the PC and installed via USB flash drive).

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 06:12 pm
@DrewDad,
Still working on E.G. He's like that.

I am ready to get the TCL cheapo one ($320!) plus Apple TV, and assume we'll upgrade in five years rather than ten or so.

E.G.'s dragging his feet. And it's a big enough purchase that I won't just go ahead and get it already, though it's mighty tempting.

One thing he's trying to figure out is whether we should go ahead with the Samsung I ID'ed as the nicest one of the type we want. Completely independently, his dad decided on the exact same one a couple of weeks ago, and that makes him think it might be a good idea even though it's more expensive than he'd like. (His dad and I share both researchiness and cheapness traits.)

Thanks for asking!

Will check out the article now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 06:17 pm
@DrewDad,
Just read the article, that goes back to TCL dumb TV + Apple TV then. I'll show it to E.G., maybe it'll goose things along. Thanks!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:15 am
So can you believe we still haven't gotten a TV? Because we haven't.

The TCL one is no longer cheapo.

Went back to the Apple store to clarify some things about Apple TV. Established that:

- YES, if you put a DVD in the iMac, you can watch it on the TV.
- NO, you don't need an awesome internet connection for that.
- If you want to stream movies from Netflix or download them from iTunes, a better internet connection is needed. But not for DVDs.
- YES, the Apple TV is generally awesome and we want one.

The guy I talked to this time (super-helpful and unsalesy, I've been nothing but happy with this crew), suggested an LG (keeps coming up) or Samsung TV.

With the TCL one no longer being significantly cheaper than the "good" ones, these are two I'm considering. Any feedback?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40D630-40-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B004SHKELG/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1342537781&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/LG-42CS570-42-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B006ZH0JQM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342537353&sr=8-2
Irishk

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:28 am
@sozobe,
That Amazon TCL deal was pretty amazing and I've been meaning to thank you for the link and share my experience.

Just after you posted the link, we decided it would be the perfect house-warming gift for my brother and sister-in-law. So, I placed my order the Thursday night before Super Bowl Sunday with 'regular' 5-day free-shipping and then emailed my brother an alert to be home the following Weds. or Thurs. to accept shipment.

Imagine my surprise when he called me Saturday morning to let me know Amazon had just delivered their new TV!!! One and a half days!!! I'm thinking Amazon thought it was needed for the football game LOL.

They love the TV...I used VISA as the payment method so they have a 4-year warranty - awesome.