TV advice

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 11:19 am
@DrewDad,
The technical specs have the IPTV logo, but then a dash next to to feature in the table itself.

IPTV is not a universal standard, though, for all video delivered over the Internet.

I think you'll need something like the Apple TV box to get iTunes content on the TV.
sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 11:21 am
@DrewDad,
That's not my understanding but I'm going to ask to be sure (Panasonic tech support chat).
DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 11:23 am
@DrewDad,
Recheck:
"Easy IPTV" is "Yes."

"Viera Connect (IPTV)" is "---."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 11:25 am
@DrewDad,
This is what it says on the Panasonic page:

EASY IPTV™

Simply press the VIERA Tools button on the remote control to directly access a variety of Internet services. Enjoy online music and movies with ease.

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 11:25 am
@sozobe,
I suggest that you verify that they don't mean streaming from the PC/Mac. There is a PC input interface listed.
sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 11:26 am
@DrewDad,
So far support dude says:

support dude wrote:
Okay, It will be through your PC, You can connect the TV with the PC, Like a second monitor.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 11:28 am
@sozobe,
My previous post was meant to refer to your live chat regarding iTunes.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 11:29 am
@sozobe,
Does it require a physical connector? (And physical proximity?)

Can you stream video from the PC to the TV over WiFi?
sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 12:03 pm
@DrewDad,
OMG that wasn't very fun.

Support Dude was idiotic and/or English was not his first language -- took some flogging to get straight answers out of him.

Shortest version: I don't think I want this TV after all.

Less-short version: The internet connectivity is really circumscribed. Basically, Facebook, Netflix, a few other specific things. Not iTunes for example.

I dislike Netflix because so little is captioned.

Now becoming more interested in:

1) a regular TV with Apple TV (only $100)

2.) A TV with web browser (Google TV or LG/ Samsung).

While I was waiting for unsupportive dude to type his answers (interminable), I have been reading the Consumer Reports guide to TVs, and found this:

Quote:
Internet connectivity
Many new LCD and plasma TVs can access the Internet directly, through a broadband connection, without using a computer. Most don't offer full-fledged browsers; Web access is limited to specific content, which varies by brand and model. Most sets can bring you streaming movies and TV episodes from Netflix, Blockbuster, Amazon on Demand, Vudu, CinemaNow, and HuluPlus; music from services such as Pandora and Slacker; and access to popular sites such as YouTube, Twitter, Flickr photos, eBay, Facebook, and more. (Some Blu-ray players and gaming consoles also offer this feature, so you can get Internet connectivity and streaming video without buying a new TV.) Most TVs with access to online content now have onscreen icons, called widgets, that are used to access the various services. Yahoo and Vudu offer a widget platform that aggregates content applications from various service providers, such as the streaming services mentioned above. The first Android-based Google TVs arrived late in 2010 with the announcement of Sony Internet TVs, followed by Vizio. They use an optimized version of Google's Chrome browser to provide full Web browsing. Google TV isn't the only option: LG and Samsung both announced new TVs providing full Web access through other browsers.

But then they also say, right after it:

Quote:
Wi-Fi connectivity
A small but growing number of TVs now have the ability to connect to a home network wirelessly, so you don't need a nearby Ethernet jack. Some models come with built-in Wi-Fi, while others come with, or offer as an option (often about $70 to $80), a Wi-Fi dongle that connects to the TV's USB port.

I thought the whole point of this one is that it does have wi-fi? So why can't it connect to my home network wirelessly? (Unsupportive dude said the only way was with a cable, but I'm not sure if I believe him.)

Ugh, taking a break from this, stuff to do. Good start though, thanks everyone.

If anyone wants to tell me what TV to get and why, I'm listening. I'm willing to go above the $500 range.
sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 12:19 pm
@sozobe,
OK so my current thinking is:

- Samsung
- 40-46 inch range
- LCD LED
- HD
- 120 hz
- Not 3-D

And depending on what I find/ features, either the above with DLNA and Allshare, or else a non-connective TV and Apple TV additionally.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 12:22 pm
@sozobe,
I think the product description said "WiFi Ready." I suspect this is marketing speak for "we put the software on there, but you have get WiFi yourself."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 12:23 pm
@sozobe,
IMO, the easy way to go is with a dumb TV and a smart streaming appliance. Then you can replace one or the other easily, when you decide to upgrade.
Irishk

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 12:27 pm
@sozobe,
I don't know anyone with a Samsung that doesn't just love it. When you decide on a particular model, check out the AVS forums. They'll have a wealth of info...calibration advice, etc. and helpful hints on any 'quirks' you might encounter.

Our 2-year old Sony went out of warranty in November, so of course I got the WSOD (white screen of death) shortly thereafter. I checked the forum (I'd been having HDMI dropouts for a while) and sure enough, found a new firmware install that corrected it immediately. Whew.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 12:27 pm
@sozobe,
If you are going to connect your PC to the TV through the PC port, you don't need to have any other Internet connection. Your PC connects to the Internet and sends the signal to the TV. That might solve a lot of your issues.

My setup is a LCD TV connected to a PS3. The PS3 has blu-ray and wireless so all the streaming (including family pictures and movies from PC's in the house and Netflix) all happens through the PS3. The TV has a browser but I never use it. I think you would end up doing the same through your PC.

I like your choices. Any Samsung TV will have all the goodies you need to be somewhat future proof. TV's go on sale before the Superbowl so you might want to wait a little bit.
Irishk

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 12:29 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
IMO, the easy way to go is with a dumb TV and a smart streaming appliance. Then you can replace one or the other easily, when you decide to upgrade.

That's what we did. Our DVD player is wireless. We bought the same model TV for my parents, only a larger size, and it's wireless, though.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 12:33 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

If you are going to connect your PC to the TV through the PC port, you don't need to have any other Internet connection. Your PC connects to the Internet and sends the signal to the TV. That might solve a lot of your issues.

I'd rather not, but I could. (If I understand you right anyway.)

Just from where the PC is and where the TV is, I wouldn't want a cable going between them all the time, and I'd also rather not have to fuss with connecting and disconnecting every time we watch a movie. I could, but I'd rather not.

Quote:
My setup is a LCD TV connected to a PS3. The PS3 has blu-ray and wireless so all the streaming (including family pictures and movies from PC's in the house and Netflix) all happens through the PS3.

That's interesting, thanks.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 12:57 pm
@sozobe,
There are wireless devices that will replace the physical cable.
sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 05:09 pm
@DrewDad,
OK, that's one thing I don't quite get yet.

Can I get a regular (not-smart) TV and a wireless device that will allow me to watch movies that are on my computer?

If so, what wireless device?

If we're talking Apple TV, I get that, but that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about.

Break it down for me like I'm a 41-year-old who hasn't bought a TV in 14 years.

If I have movies on my iMac, and want to buy a TV that will allow me to watch those movies, wirelessly, what's a good TV to get, and why?

Thanks.

(By the way unsupportive dude was saying I could only do it with a cable -- that wireless is not possible with the TV I was looking at -- but I'm not sure if he was right.)
Mame

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 05:18 pm
Soz, we're in the market for a new tv, too, so I've been doing some research. Engineer's advice echoes what I've found online. We're going to buy a 1080, HD, hopefully Samsung, but if not, then a Sony or LG, LED (don't buy a LCD or plasma!) flat screen. Most have the WIFI capability, it seems, and you only have one remote (a must for a doofus like me).

Our tv is currently nearly 30 yrs old, so I'm sure the one we buy will be around as long so I want to make sure it will do the trick, not just for now, but the future. We're also going to buy a digital PVR component - from what I understand, you can stop, pause, rewind LIVE tv with that (like a TIVO, I guess) - yay!!

Our prices are always more expensive than in the US and we're looking at around $1000 - $1300 just for the tv, then add the PVR and the mounting system - $1500 for sure. But if it lasts 30yrs (and it won't because they'll come out with something superfantabulous in the next few yrs), it'll be worth it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 05:19 pm
@sozobe,
It still uses your PC/Mac to produce the video and audio, and it uses the same ports that your cable would use, it just eliminates the actual physical cable by transmitting the media signal wirelessly.

The actual device varies depending on what cable you would be using.

And you need some way to control your computer, otherwise you start the movie in your office, walk to the TV room, get up and walk back to the office to pause the show, etc.