Mexican decendent entering usa with a tourist passport

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 10:43 am
Is it true when a Mexican decendent enters the usa with a valid tourist passport that someone has to check there wallets and they have to have at least 1000.00 us currency to enter the USA

fbaezer

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 01:09 pm
@tpedraza01,
Totally false if you're a US citizen.

Also false if you are a Mexican citizen.

In the latter case, first of all you need a valid visa. It will probably suffice, if you know what you're going to do in your visit to the US and tell it properly to the immigration officer.

But if you're young and slovenly dressed, have no stay address in the US and the officer is in a bad mood, s/he may ask for some proof of your financial possibilities (a credit card might do, or perhaps some US cash).

As a Mexican citizen I've entered the US a couple dozen times and only once I was asked to show money. I was 19, it was 1973, arrived by bus to the border, late night, explained that I was a student but my school was on a strike...
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 04:41 pm
@fbaezer,
Nowadays you need to show proof of a valid US address you're visiting, otherwise you won't get into the U.S. and this is mandatory for all tourists, not just Mexicans. In addition, all applicants for a tourist visa must fill out an electronic form DS-160 - without this form there is no tourist visa granted.
fbaezer

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 04:53 pm
@CalamityJane,
CJ.
That freaking visa electronic form is too long and resets every 20 mins. if you don't save it. The system bumped me twice before I realized I could not fill in 20 mins.
I know about the "valid" US address requirement, but it's usually good enough just to name an existing hotel and write its address in the entrance form.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 05:06 pm
@fbaezer,
Knowing you via a2k, if you cannot fill the thing in within twenty minutes, who could?

Reminds me of my bank, no lallygagging allowed when sending bill payments online; I figure that is all about security. But I don't quite get twenty minutes to fill out the visa form, though I suppose that is also a security framework. Must be very frustrating to many.
roger

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 05:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I know a medicare prescription drug site with exactly the same issue.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 05:26 pm
Do Mexican's need passports to get into the US, and vice versa?
Mame

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 05:37 pm
Initially, I thought this post said "Mexican decedent entering..." - bummer.
engineer

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 05:51 pm
@Ceili,
Yes. US citizens need passports to get back into the US from Mexico and Canada.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 06:22 pm
@Ceili,
They used to have a 70 km grace zone from the border entry here (Tijuana)
to Ensenada where US citizens didn't need a passport, driver license or other valid picture ID was enough, but it changed in recent years too, now everyone needs to carry a passport either way.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 06:24 pm
@fbaezer,
Haha, well, then you cannot visit, fbaezer! I know that my European friends also have a hard time with this electronic visa application. It's good for 2 years though, so at least you get a small break.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 06:31 pm
@CalamityJane,
Fb knows this stuff - how to click to keep the form site going, just like bank forms.
But not all applicants may know that.
I take it is as very frustrating for many.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 07:54 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Initially, I thought this post said "Mexican decedent entering..." - bummer.

You should post that on the 'Truth About Vietnam Vets' thread, Mame. Smile
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 08:41 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Do Mexican's need passports to get into the US, and vice versa?

Mexicans need not only their passport, but also a visa which is: a) costly b) has virtual paperwork that's not easy to fill c) takes time, long lines to check your papers before your interview with a US consul who has the final word.
BTW, I have a good 10 year visa, now.

Americans need nothing. No visa. Nothing. It's absurd! They need their freaking passport to get back to the US, not to get into Mexico!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 08:57 pm
@fbaezer,
I really do sympathize with your concern about this inequality, fbaezer. But think of this: how likely is it that a Muslim terrorist may try to sneak across the US/Mexican border to blow up some buildings in Mexico City or selsewhere? We live with this fear 24/7.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 09:03 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
We do?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 09:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
This inequality is not new. It didn't start in 2001. It's been there all my life.

But yes, this is the most unequal country border in the world (perhaps only comparable to the one that separates Israel from Palestine).

Mexicans are eager for Americans to come and spend their dollars. Americans are wary that Mexicans go to the US to stay & live there.

Oddly, this inequality played for many Americans fleeing the draft during the Vietnam era, they'd cross the border as practically paperless tourists and stay in Mexico for years. Some of them as University students in Mexican schools. I met a couple of them. I wonder why didn't they receive the same treatment those who took refuge in Canada did.

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 09:31 pm
@fbaezer,
Unfortunately, it's not safe these days to cross the border which is a darn shame. I used to love going down to Tijuana and Ensenada, and Puerto Nueve for some lobster & good Mariachi music, but it's just too dangerous for tourists nowadays - very sad!
fbaezer

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 09:35 pm
@CalamityJane,
They say Tijuana and Ensenada have gotten a lot better. But I can't swear on that.
I actually dislike all Mexican cities in our Northern border.
Tijuanenses are great fellows, though.
--
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 09:35 pm
@fbaezer,
Listening.

I'd like to go back and I'm not particularly fearful, though probably in certain areas. I have a lot left to see in Mexico, including in Mexico, df.
0 Replies