Travel to India from USA with a passport within 6 months.

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 12:17 pm
Hi. My fiancee is currently in the US and is planning to travel to India on 5th Dec, 2012 for good. He doesnt plan to return to USA. His passport expires on 1st Jan 2013. Would there be a problem travelling to India as his travel is planned which is just 1 month before his passport expiring. I have heard there would be immigration issues etc. Could you please help me out as to what is the procedure and what is the way forward and the best suggestion to make things work. Looking for a prompt response.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,615 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

natalius1

Sat 1 Sep, 2012 12:00 pm
@mel150388,
are you the same person on your buddy24
0 Replies

Steve Spencer

Mon 17 Sep, 2012 03:59 am
@mel150388,
Hello Friends,

Indian consulate in the US will require the passport to be valid for at least for six months before issuing a visa (since most of their visas are valid for 6 months).
Once you have that visa stamp, then you can enter India as long as your US passport and Indian visa dates have not expired. E.g. you can take the visa six months before expiry, and enter India five months later and return to the US before the passport expires.
If you are staying in India for a long enough duration (several weeks), you can renew your passport here through local US consulate in most metros.
Contrary to Indian consulate in the US, the US consulate in India is a breeze to deal with - at least in Chennai. I once added pages to my US passport here. I was out in 20 minutes. There was just one other person in line there.
One of the things most of us find out at the last minute is that kids passports have ony a five year validity. This usually crops up as we plan for a prepaid holiday trip.
In recent months, the US State Dept is issuing paspsort cards (the size of a credit card), which can be used in lieu of passport when you travel to Canada, Mexico etc. For now, this is not meant for air travel. However, I think it is almost a certainty that they will allow you to use it in the future for any country. So it might be a good idea to get a card and a passport book when you renew next time.

Thanks and Regards
Steve Spencer
0 Replies