Canadian Husband had his passport stolen, what do we need to do?

jray84

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 09:32 pm
I am an American Citizen and am married to a Canadian Citizen. We are filing for his green card and I have researched everything I can get my hands on so far and are ready to file. We have run into a small problem though. A couple of years ago my husbands passport was stolen along with his wallet and a watch. We have looked into how to get another passport from inside the US. and were told we should have filed a police report for the stolen passport to get another one, which we didn't do (watch was usless, no money in the wallet and didn't realize it would be so hard to get another passport in the future!)
So my question has 2 parts, as follows:
1- does he NEED a passport to file in the first place? He now has no ID other than an expired miliary ID, birth certificate and his SIN card (american equivalent of SSN). He has no drivers license. He lived in Ottawa and had no need for a vehicle.
2- since he doesnt have his passport anymore, there is no evidence he entered the US legally, is this absolutely required to file? Will they deny us without this proof?

If he IS required to have a passport, how is he supposed to get another one now?

Ceili

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 09:38 pm
Call a Canadian Embassy. They can help you with the passport. Also check out the Canadian Government site. You can get the forms online, he will need another Canadian passport holder to sign his documents.
If he entered the US legally there should be some documentation somewhere.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 07:35 am
@jray84,
You really should have told the government it had been stolen/lost. They own it, and they give it to citizens for travel and identification. Most countries have serious penalties for passport fraud and that is what could be alleged for not reporting it as soon as you discovered it was lost as you are required to do by law...
Quote:
1- does he NEED a passport to file in the first place?
He needs the identification as proscribed by the green card laws.
Quote:
2- since he doesnt have his passport anymore, there is no evidence he entered the US legally,
If he still meets the requirements to be there legally, there is no problem. If he doesnt, then a passport is not going to help.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 02:45 am
Don´t this seems to be a fraud.
saab

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 07:09 am
@saab,
My answer should have been removed on the same time as the person´s which seemed to sell fake passports.

Otherwise is seems like I refer to lonus answer as a fraud, which it certainly is not.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 07:14 am
@saab,
Your answer wasn't removed because it wasn't reported. If I come across any marketing posts, regardless of whether or not I think they're legitimate, I report them.

That's all I report btw, but next time report instead of commenting. Reporting downthumbs a post anyway so it gives an indication even before the mods remove it.
saab

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 08:02 am
@izzythepush,
Correct, should have done it the other way.
Just wanted lonus to know I was not critical about his answer.
Reporting and ask something to be removed can take days before it happens.
If at all.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 08:43 am
@saab,
I find they're pretty quick when it comes to spam. I can see other disputes may be open to interpretation. Ionus hasn't posted for a while anyway.
saab

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 10:40 am
@izzythepush,
Yes, when it comes to spams the monitors are really quick.
Had I not been so slow this morning I would have / should have / ought to have noticed this is an old question.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2017 11:21 am
@saab,
None of us are at our best first thing.
0 Replies