Deadly Australia.

Wilso

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:30 am
The death adder is not very colourful-most people who are bitten by it have trodden on it, mainly because it's short thick, doesn't move much, and usually resembles a tree branch sitting on the ground.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:33 am
Or they should make sounds not to be forced to attack.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:00 am
snakes are also either deaf or really hard of hearing. sO, we need to fit them with little hearing aids
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:17 am
They feel vibrations in the earth - we walk heavily...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 01:27 pm
Looks at spiders and runs away screaming!!!!!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 01:41 pm
I had a pleasure to meet a sleeping bear. picking mushrooms (for food, thankyouverymuch) i came upon a medow and saw a beehive in the ground. i stood there, scratching my head: never saw bees digging their hives IN the ground! it slowly dawned on me, that a bear must have ripped it off from a tree and burry it for later. looked around, and sure enough, there was a sleeping bear under the trees some 20 feet away! i snuck away and then ran like mad. my man came back to the cottage from a long bikeride so hungry, he wasn't even listening. all he wanted was food. didn't speak to him for the rest of the afternoon!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 01:48 pm
dlowan wrote:
yeah - but they have anti-venene...

What about the recluse...shiver...

I was once bitten by a brown recluse. At first there was a boil, which quicly grew to about the diameter of a penny. I treated it with magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salts) at first, not knowing the origin. That same evening, however, as i shook out the bed linen, i found, and killed the brown recluse. For about four or five days, the boil seemed to be stabilized, and i had hope of it going down (it was about midway between the knee and the ankle) soon, so that i could continue my therapy for my other leg--i had torn the meniscus over the left patella. At the end of that week, i began to feel ill, as though i were suffering the most rapid onset of influenze i'd ever experienced. By the following morning, my right leg had swollen to nearly twice its normal size below the knee. I was completely hobbled for two weeks. I don't know if the Epsom Salts had helped or not, i've no idea what the normal course of toxic reaction is for a brown recluse bite.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 02:13 pm
My friend who was bitten by the tiny redback was hospitalized for 3 weeks, unconsious. She then spent another 3 weeks suffering from sweats and halucinations. She was bitten on the ear. She put a pair of earphones on while driving a tractor. They found her in a field going round and round a an unending circle.
It's odd that such a tiny thing could be sooo poisonous, but apparently they have enough venom to down a horse, so she's lucky.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 02:38 pm
Earphones? Oh my! Redbacks are very pacific spiders - you pretty much have to grab them or sit on them to make them bite. I guess being clamped to an ear was enough! It is the gels who are poisonous.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 02:38 pm
Ain't it always . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 02:45 pm
In fact, with all this stuff about deadly beasties - I have not seen a snake in the wild since I was about 16, the redbacks keep to the back sheds - what scares me are the bees (I am allergic) and the damned European wasps, which got in here, sadly. They are so aggressive!!!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 01:12 pm
I used to have brown snakes in the backyard when I lived out west, on the outskirts of Sydney! My place backed on to a bush reserve. They can be a tad vicious - a bushfire brigade fellow warned us to keep out of the bush once, after a bushfire had gone through - as the snakes would be angry! Once came at me, out of the grass, as I was doing some weeding once.

But after they killed 2 cats, I decided it was time to move!

That place had funnel webs in the garden, too!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 01:28 pm
eeeeek!

We had black widow spiders in west Los Angeles. I was never a big fan..
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:26 pm
The Lesser Two-finned Land-Shark:

http://www.gullivermedia.com.au/graphics/zarid3.gif

Scanning the nearby area around its burrow, this rapacious killer will hide until it leaps out overwhelming its prey with a blood-curdling "Hmmmmmmmmm?".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:34 pm
OK, listen, I give you all ten points for this, very good, Mr. S.

Please step ahead.. yes, cross the ramp....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:27 pm
Say whatcha will about bears, you're never going to find one in your shoe in the morning.

The black bears are not a big problem in California. I used to backpack a lot at the fringe of Yosemite Nat'l Park where they relocated the "problem bears" from the populated part of the park. The ones who see people as a source of food are definitely riskier -- which I'm assuming would be most of 'em on the east coast of the U.S. Still, I never had an adverse encounter out there, and was generally much more wary of mountain lions than of bears.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 02:10 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
The Lesser Two-finned Land-Shark:

http://www.gullivermedia.com.au/graphics/zarid3.gif

Scanning the nearby area around its burrow, this rapacious killer will hide until it leaps out overwhelming its prey with a blood-curdling "Hmmmmmmmmm?".

Awwwww!!!!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 03:57 am
No, no, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?".

Must be the cabin-fever. Eaten any of your fellow residents yet?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 04:29 am
Hohum.....
0 Replies

USAMeg

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 11:03 am
am I nuts?
I've always wanted to go to Australia... I've been reading up about it and what to avoid and what not to... but Wilso's posting scares the !@#$% out of me! I mean obviously it can't be that bad since Australians are doin ok... but do they have some sort of 6th sense about these creatures or something? I wonder if we have dangerous creatures in the US too and just don't know it... like in Arizona or Montana or something. I mean I live in New York City I guess if I can survive here I can survive anywhere... but the dangers are quite different!

I bought a book for $6 about what to do if stung, bitten, etc and what the risks are where. Please someone tell me that if I come to Australia for a few months next (Aussie) summer that I will make it out alive!

What the heck is a wallabie, by the way?
0 Replies