World inequality, and international trade.

vikorr

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 09:43 pm
@izzythepush,
Well, it does appear that he follows beliefs no matter how unsound. Talking to him was like talking to a crim who just killed another crim, apprehended by the police and saying 'but I did the world a favour by killing him'

...or another way : talking to a person who puts too much oil in their car, all the while saying 'but the car needs oil, so lots and lots of oil must be good for the car...

...both have a point of truth, and both ignore the big picture.

Well, alright, I suck at making up analogies on the spot :>
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 04:14 am
@vikorr,
Once you start to believe a particular narrative, you only listen to stuff that supports the narrative and ignore everything else. If we're going to start bandying analogies, I'd say it's a bit like being in a cult, a them and us mentality.
vikorr

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 02:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Hmmm...obviously I didn't real all his posts properly. I just found another gem of ignorance :

Quote:
You are bullshitting. The local government should welcome inflation! The more inflation, the better. Why? because it means two things:

1. some people are benefiting from the mining company.

2. Those same people are spending their money in the local economy.

Because of 2, more businesses will be opened, and creating even more economy activities. More money for the average people etc. I love capitalism.

Seriously?

Well, there are plenty of examples where you are wrong - lets go The western world, Australia, and Zimbabwe.

The western world :

- They all use Interest Rates to control inflation, because they all see inflation as bad.

- They float their currency to help control inflation, because they all see inflation as bad.

Please read up on how these work if you don't understand them. And if you don't understand the reasons all western govt's fear inflation - do some research.

Australia :

Australia's example correlates to your example precisely because you mentioned mines & inflation. Australia, per capita, has huge resources. During the minerals boom (after about the mid 90's til current period) where the price of minerals just kept rising and rising...and most especially leading up to the GFC in 2008, Australia faced a problem :

- the minerals boom was creating HUGE wealth in the minerals sector, even while the economy was only growing at 2-3 percent or so.

(if the idiot economist knew their job, they should have known this meant the rest of the economy was barely growing, or was perhaps even shrinking)

- the huge wealth of the minerals industry, created a need for more domestic jobs, which drove up the wages of people in industries with translatable skills, which drove up the prices of those things that they created or serviced. The money these workers earned allowed them to invest, which drove up the price of real estate etc....ie. the Mining boom was driving inflation. The mining sector in Australia, in terms of the overall population of Australia, employs only a small % of Australians.

- the Reserve Bank of Australia, seeing the mining sector booming and inflation indicators rising, started slowly (yet consistently and continually) increasing the Official Interest Rate.

- Due in large part to the rising interest rates, more and more people started defaulting on their mortgages (if you don't understand why a continuing acceleration of this is bad - read into the real estate effects of the American GFC, and it's corresponding effect on construction businesses. And if you don't understand why construction bussinesses are essential to the economy, I'm not sure what you are doing writing about this stuff), and the % of small businesses folding started to increase.

- eventually the rest of the economy got bad enough that the RBA had to admit 'we had our eyes on the wrong indicators', and they started slashing Official Interest Rates quickly. They then coined the term 'two speed economy' to describe to themselves what was happening.

- The GFC then hit (but that's another story).

The problem here was that the Govt's measures to control inflation were a blind reaction to the overall statistic of inflation...a reaction that many of us (yes, me included) were saying 'what are those idiots doing - if they keep raising rates, they are going to stuff the economy by causing non mining businesses to collapse & the housing sector to implode (deflation of house values, and collapse of construction businesses).

Zimbabwe :

An extreme example, but paints a picture nicely. Read for yourself their problems with inflation. It's everywhere.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:48 am
@vikorr,
It is a bit disconcerting when you debate with someone who initially appears fairly reasonable, only to discover they're forwarding some crackpot racist agenda.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 07:23 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It is a bit disconcerting when you debate with someone who initially appears fairly reasonable, only to discover they're forwarding some crackpot racist agenda.

You are a ******* idiot, and lacking any understand of how the world works. I am not racist against Jews. I would say Jews are more successful as a group, and are more than willing to help their own. That is not being racist; that is just being a realist, you dumb fat cartoon ****.
vikorr

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 07:44 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Turning, lots of people have better understanding than you or I in many specific areas of how the world works. And it's okay if they have good intentions but remain open minded about learning. It's usually only a problem when they blindly demand :
- that their flawed way is the best, or
- that the way that meets their needs (but not others) is the best.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 02:28 am
@TuringEquivalent,
You're the idiot who lets ideology get in the way of reason.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:16 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You're the idiot who lets ideology get in the way of reason.

..and you are the voice of reason? If you are the peak of reason, then I will give you a gun, and let you shot me in my ******* head.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 02:37 am
@TuringEquivalent,
When you start going on about the Jews controlling everything, then start floundering around and saying such a statement is not racist, you've lost all credibility.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 03:33 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

When you start going on about the Jews controlling everything, then start floundering around and saying such a statement is not racist, you've lost all credibility.

Jews don 't own everything. They are just really, really power group of people who look out for their own.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 04:09 am
@TuringEquivalent,
If you look at what's going on in Israel you'll see that they're just as divided as any group. There are prominent Jews is all manner of businesses, but to suggest that they all work together is ridiculous, and conspiratorial. Such a concept would not be out of place in The Protocols Of Zion, a piece of Russian propaganda which was used to justify various pogroms.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:08 pm
@izzythepush,
Your right. Not all jews agree with each other. But the government that controls Israel thinks its ok to kill palistainan people in order to acquire land.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:38 pm
@RABEL222,
If you want to highlight the plight of the Palestinians, and the illegal occupation you're not going to win over many people by going on about Jews controlling everything. The Israeli government tries to portray all criticism as being anti-semitic in nature. Turing has made their argument for them.

I'm a member of the Palestinian solidarity campaign, and the last thing the Palestinian people need is the support of anti-semites.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 03:24 pm
@izzythepush,
I try to make a distinction between Jews and Israel in order to not be anti-semite. Its the government I despise as being a bunch of lying political opportunists. Did I just describe our own government?
vikorr

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 04:11 pm
@RABEL222,
On a side note about Israel - I do recall that one of their PM's (was it Netanyahu?) was right into the concept of peace, and made many moves towards it, eventually telling Arafat that he was willing to negotiate whatever it took to achieve peace.

Now it was my opinion that this particular PM was ideological, and blind to the reality, and as soon as I heard this, I thought 'damn, he's shown a major sign of weakness, and I wouldn't be surprised if Araft goes for the jugular and asks for way more than Netanyahu can give'....of course Arafat then asked for way more than the PM could give, and the whole peace process broke down.

It seems to me that many Arabs don't want Israel to exist - that the hatred is so great that elements of them will deliberately attempt to sabotage any peace process (this is only rarely seen on the Jewish side), and that many of them consider themselves in a state of perpetual war with Israel until the time that Israel no longer exists. In such a scenario, how would you handle security, remembering that you have a duty not just to yourself, but to to the security and safety of your entire people living in the country?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 04:40 pm
@vikorr,
Netanyahu does not have much of a reputation as a peacemaker. The simple matter is Israel is illegally occupying Palestinian lands. It's not about ideological opposition to Israel, it's about the oppression of the Palestinian people. If Israel wants peace, all it has to do is end the occupation. Most Arabs are pragmatic, and would rather avoid going head to head with the most powerful armed force in the Middle East.
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 05:06 am
@izzythepush,
You are a ******* idiot. Another idiot I will not waste my time to respond.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 05:44 am
@TuringEquivalent,
What a cogent and well thought out argument. People like you help Israel depict all its critics as being motivated by anti-semitism, not concern about the plight of the Palestinians.
0 Replies