15
   

Rank the current Rep. candidates: an unscientific poll for independents and Democrats

 
 
engineer
 
  3  
Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 06:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Case in point: The Liberal flirtation with Jon Huntsman....

It's pretty effin obvious that the majority of Democrats responding to this thread are going to favor the GOP candidates who have the least support of Republicans....

Huntsman's conservative bonafides are pretty solid. Personally he is unappealing, but in addition to this flaw, the main reason he hasn't gotten traction is that he served in the Obama administration.

This is an idiotic reason to dislike him or like him.

You are completely contradicting yourself here. I for one know that Huntsman is very conservative. He will not get my support, but if asked to rank the current Republican candidates, I rank him number one because even though he is conservative he has a history of working for the common good even if it means working across the aisle. No one else has that but Romney and his is backpedaling fast.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Ron Paul: The guy spews isolationist, truther nonsense and Liberals say, "This guy may not be so bad." If any of you have Ron Paul in your top three you know nothing about Ron Paul.

All the candidates in this group (except Huntsman) have some pretty nutty positions. The thing about Paul is he is actually conservative in the small government, follow the Constitution definition of Conservative and he is unapologetic about it. Gingrich says he is going to throw judges in jail if they don't they don't rule the way he wants. If that happens, I fully expect Ron Paul to meet them at the courthouse doors armed to the teeth. To every other Republican candidate this cycle, the Constitution is a prop. With RP it's the bedrock of his world. Is he a 911 conspiracy nut, birther, racist? Probably but at least he's honest about it.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The expected common theme here is that anyone who can be identified as a Social Conservative drops to the bottom of the list...

If your number one concern is about a candidate for whom social issues are extremely important, then you have a lot more in common with that candidate than you would ever admit.

Of course Independents and Democrats care about social issues, in many cases strongly. Did you expect otherwise? The issue is that "social conservatives" take positions so against what the average Independent or Democrat believes that they are going to sink like a stone in any poll. I don't see why that is surprising or in any way offensive to you.
DrewDad
 
  2  
Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 09:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Same sex marriages are an issue greatly exaggerated by their supporters and opponents.

And outlawing abortion is probably the worst thing that could happen for the Republicans; that doesn't stop their chest thumping.

Access to birth control (witness the slanders against Planned Parenthood).

Education (witness the outrage that more women than men are pursuing college degrees, and the fight to get creationism (or "intelligent design") into the Texas science curriculum).

etc.

It's just tedious to have to carry these foot-draggers into the 21st century.
gungasnake
 
  -1  
Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 09:21 am
@DrewDad,
You're half right, i.e. "right2life" is a bunch of bullshit, but so is evoloserism.
0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  0  
Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 02:43 pm
@engineer,

Quote:
You are completely contradicting yourself here.


How so?

First of all, whether or not you understand Huntsman's positions and still rank him first has little to no bearing on my contention.

If by some miracle Huntsman were to win, we would see an attack from the Left on how extreme he is, just as we saw against that other GOP darling of Liberals, John McCain.

Quote:
Is he a 911 conspiracy nut, birther, racist? Probably but at least he's honest about it.


Are you suggesting all of the other candidates are 9/11 conspiracy nuts, birthers, and racists, but are simply more dishonest than Paul? If so, perhaps you might offer some support of such a charge.

By the way, Paul has not admitted to being any of these three things (quite the opposite in fact) so your basic premise is incorrect, but if he actually had, that would somehow make him worthy of rising in your estimation? Interesting.

Quote:
I don't see why that is surprising or in any way offensive to you.


You either mistakenly or deliberately misread what I wrote as it's neither surprising nor offensive to me that the Democrats who get the most hot and bothered abouth Social Conservatives are Social Progressives.

I do find it interesting and ironic that those who exaggerate the importance of social issues are most offended by what they perceive to be the exaggeration of social issues.
0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  0  
Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 02:54 pm
@DrewDad,
Not very coherent DD.

How does it follow from my statement that outlawing abortions is probably the worst thing that could happen for the Republican; that doesn't stop their chest thumping, and what in the world does that mean?

I have no idea of what might be represented by your use of "etc." because I have no idea what your point is about abortion, birth control and education.

Quote:
It's just tedious to have to carry these foot-draggers into the 21st century.


Weak attempt at being wry DD.

I seriously doubt anyone credits you with bearing The Progressive Man's Burden, and if the positions you've described were merely tedious they wouldn't consistently whip you into a lather.


DrewDad
 
  2  
Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 04:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm sorry that you are unable to follow my thoughts.

I lack the time or inclination to drag you along, though.
Finn dAbuzz
 
  -1  
Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 04:17 pm
@DrewDad,
There's that lame attempt at being wry again.

Stick to snotty DD, you're much better at it.
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 04:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You seem to have snotty locked up.
Finn dAbuzz
 
  -1  
Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 05:30 pm
@DrewDad,
I always defer to those who display the greater degree of a characteristic, and in terms of this one, I'm lost in your shadow.
0 Replies
 
jcboy
 
  1  
Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 04:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
Rick Santorum was campaigning at a gun range in northern Louisiana and as he fired a .45 caliber semi-automatic Colt pistol, a woman in the audience shouted: "Pretend it's Obama." - I'm sure she's a good, church-going Christian who loves Jesus and her family and just wants to protect her children's future from the crazy liberal black man who has broken into the White House and stolen the country. Such nice conservatives.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 10:51 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
Rick Santorum was campaigning at a gun range in northern Louisiana and as he fired a .45 caliber semi-automatic Colt pistol, a woman in the audience shouted: "Pretend it's Obama." - I'm sure she's a good, church-going Christian who loves Jesus and her family and just wants to protect her children's future from the crazy liberal black man who has broken into the White House and stolen the country. Such nice conservatives.
Santorum is NOT a conservative.
He is a theocrat; a devoted theocrat.
The Founders did NOT establish a theocracy in this Republic.
Therefore, his philosophy deviates from that of the Founders,
as set forth in the Constitution and that makes him a liberal.
He is more liberal (i.e., more deviant) than Romney,
tho deviant in a different direction; not a freedom-loving direction.





David
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/18/2019 at 05:16:49