I just don’t understand drinking and driving

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:52 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Overdue library books off to prison for decades as you should had return them in time after all

Prison, humiliation, financial penalties, and then of course special conditions which will make it impossible to ever reclaim a decent live. One mistake in her books has her yelling "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!"
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye I think her desire to keep tight controls over people is connected with her fear of men and our abilities to harm women such as herself if we would wish to do so.

Only a tightly control society [police state] can limit the harm we males all wish to do to women in her mind at least.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:55 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
And you're the one who would rather see the drunk driver serve a long prison term rather than prevent drunk driving deaths by having ignition interlocks installed in cars.

This is just proposed gateway to get what you really want, these things on all of our cars. We might as well say "hell no!" right now.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:57 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Hawkeye I think her desire to keep tight controls over people is connected with her fear of men and our abilities to harm women such as herself if we would wish to do so.

Only a tightly control society [police state] can limit the harm we males all wish to do to women in her mind at least.

No, she does not care much for all people. Her act is pretty decent, but I have run across her kind before.
firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 07:05 pm
An ignition interlock would have helped to prevent a tragic accident like this-- it was this man's 3rd DUI incident.
Quote:
Drunk driver jailed for crashing into girls
VICTORIA ROBINSON
July 13, 2012

A mother has told a court it was "like a knife in [her] heart" to see her eight-year-old daughter in hospital recovering from brain injuries after being hit by a drunk driver.

In April Fereti Aiono, 27, pleaded guilty to four charges - two counts of driving with excess breath alcohol causing injury, one of driving while disqualified for a third time and one of failing to stop at an accident.

Aiono had been disqualified from driving for the second time just one month before the accident.

In Manukau District Court on Friday, Judge Charles Blackie sentenced Aiono to two years and ten months imprisonment, with a minimum non-parole period of a year and five months.

Aiono's car was confiscated by the court and he has been disqualified from driving indefinitely, but may apply to have his licence renewed if he can persuade a court he will be a safe driver.

On December 22 last year, Aiono drunk drove down Wordsworth Rd, Manurewa, at between 75kmh and 94kmh.

The speed limit is 50kmh.

Aiono swerved to avoid a van, and lost control of his car.

The car then crossed to the other side of the road and hit two girls - aged eight and 11 - who were walking along the footpath.

The girls were thrown over a fence.

Judge Blackie said Aiono's first reaction was to accelerate off the lawn of the property his car had landed in and flee the scene, but his car was too damaged to do so.

"You therefore got out of the car and ran off. Others who were in the vicinity apprehended you and brought you back to the scene. Meanwhile, both of the two girls, one aged eight and aged 11 both lay very seriously injured. One girl might be described as critically injured."

Eight-year-old Carmella was taken to hospital and spent ten days in a coma.

"She almost died," the judge told the court.

Her mother was present at court this morning.

Sobbing, she spoke of the devastating effects the accident has had on her family, describing her pain as a "knife in my heart".

"Carmella was in hospital for ten days and a doctor told us we could lose her and even if she did survive she might have brain damage."

She said the recovery was a long and drawn-out process, and they missed out on the happy family Christmas they had been planning.

"Carmella was constantly in pain, just like a baby again in diapers. Very embarrassing for her."

She said her daughter's school performance had fallen since the accident - last year she was able to read at a 10-year-old level and was a leader among her peers, while this year it had gone backwards and she is scared to do anything.

"Carmella has gone through so much pain and suffering and now to know she has lost the skills she had before the accident is very sad."

Aiono's wife Debra who was in court to support him also wept as she read an apology to the girls' family.

"There's no words to express how sorry and guilty I feel to the victims and their families. I have young ones also and I would feel exactly the same if this happened to them. There hasn't been a day I've stopped praying for the two girls and their families and also my husband."

She said what her husband had done was "unforgiveable", and he suffers from "guilt and shame" every day.

Debra Aiono said she couldn't change what happened, but wanted to pass on a message about drink driving to society.

"It's not worth it. Think about the consequences of your actions before you get behind the wheel of a car."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/7275240/Drunk-driver-jailed-for-crashing-into-girls

The problem is, drunks aren't able, or willing, to consider the consequences when they get behind the wheel--alcohol has already affected and impaired their judgment.

He'll be out of jail in a year or two, but that child might well be brain damaged for the rest of her life.

I agree with the man's wife, what he did was "unforgiveable", and he should suffer guilt and shame--his irresponsible actions maimed an innocent child.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 07:16 pm
This isn't an abstract issue--real people are being killed by drunk drivers.
This drunk driver just left 3 children fatherless.
Quote:
Drunk driver charged in death of Phila. police officer
July 12, 2012
By Robert Moran
Inquirer Staff Writer

John Leck Jr., the Levittown man who authorities say drove the wrong way on I-95 and killed a Philadelphia police officer, was charged Tuesday with third-degree murder.

Leck, 47, who was being held without bail, was driving south on northbound I-95 at 3:15 a.m. Sunday when his Audi A6 collided with a police motorcycle being ridden by Officer Brian Lorenzo, 48, just south of Cottman Avenue.

Lorenzo, a 23-year veteran of the force who was assigned to the elite Highway Patrol Unit, was pronounced dead at the scene. Leck was taken to Aria Health-Torresdale Campus, where he was still hospitalized Tuesday in stable condition.

Leck also was charged with homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence, aggravated assault while driving under the influence, driving under the influence, and involuntary manslaughter.

A preliminary hearing for Leck was scheduled for July 25 at the Criminal Justice Center.

Lorenzo, a married father of three, was going home in uniform after finishing his shift when the accident occurred.
http://articles.philly.com/2012-07-12/news/32633516_1_drunk-driver-police-officer-involuntary-manslaughter

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 07:33 pm
Quote:
DUI Task Force Targets Valley
Reported by: Kathryn Herr
July 13, 2012

A DUI task force is out two days after a construction worker and Fresno State graduate was killed on highway 99 by a suspected drunk driver.

Less than thirty minutes after the task force launched officers pulled over a suspected drunk driver.

“She's going to be going to CRMC to take a chemical sample of her blood to determine the alcohol content of her blood,” said CHP officer Sean Duncan.

The driver was then taken to jail.

Her car was towed.

This DUI task force was scheduled long ago.

But it's happening just two days after 24-year-old Regan Johnson - a recent Fresno State graduate - was hit and killed by a suspected drunk driver on Highway 99. Johnson was working in a construction zone.

“I guess you could say it's a motivator to do all that you can to again protect the motoring public from the impaired drivers,” said Officer Duncan.

The woman who investigators believe hit and killed Regan is behind bars.

The crash is a reminder of the dangers highway workers face. And more of those workers are on the highways during the busy summer months.

“It's a reminder that when you say goodbye to your loved ones basically you're putting your life at a risk,” said Gloria Rodriguez with Caltrans.

This DUI task force stretches from Modesto to the Grapevine.

The CHP alone arrested more than 36-thousand drunk drivers last year.

The CHP alone arrested more than 36-thousand drunk drivers last year.. That's a staggering figure. And the CHP isn't the only authority arresting drunk drivers in that area.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 08:01 pm
In one recent night on the East End of Long Island, 22 DUI arrests were made.
Quote:
DWI Crackdown Yields Over 20 Arrests

DA's new DWI Task Force showed a presence in East Hampton and Sag Harbor on Saturday night.
By Taylor K. Vecsey
July 12, 2012

As part of a ramped up anti-drunken driving campaign on the East End, police set up check points and put on extra patrols in the Town of East Hampton over the Fourth of July weekend yielding 27 arrests, including 22 for drunken driving offenses.

The enforcement was part of the Suffolk County District Attorney's new DWI Task Force that launched before Memorial Day weekend to crack down on drunken drivers on the East End.

A multi-agency effort, the Suffolk County Sheriffs assisted East Hampton Town and Village and Sag Harbor Village police departments on Saturday night, starting at 8 p.m, into Sunday morning at 4 a.m.
http://easthampton.patch.com/articles/dwi-task-force-rounds-over-20-drivers

And, at another checkpoint in a different part of Suffolk County, 13 people were arrested for DUI in a single night this week.
Quote:
Suffolk sobriety checkpoint nets 13 arrests
July 14, 2012
By CANDICE FERRETTE

Thirteen people were arrested on drunken-driving charges at a Huntington Station sobriety checkpoint Friday night through Saturday morning, Suffolk County police announced.

A total of 662 vehicles went through the police checkpoint, which was on the southbound lanes of Route 110 near Church Street.

In addition to Suffolk County police, New York State Police and New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority Police were involved.

The measure was aimed at preventing injuries and fatalities associated with driving while intoxicated, police said.

The following people were charged with driving while intoxicated:

* David Knesich, 35, of 15 Goldfield St., Melville

* Timothy Deegan, 43, of 10 Warrenton Ct., Huntington

* Juan Crespin, 35, of 63 Tower St., Huntington Station

* Cecelia Symes, 41, of 23 Elgin Rd., Amity Harbor

* Justina Kabala, 20, of 3125 Tibbett Ave., Bronx

* George LaFlare, 30, of 215 S. 14th St., Lindenhurst

* Patricia Cahill, 67, of 75 Boulevard Ave., Greenlawn

* Carlos Miranda, 31, of 118 E. Third St., Huntington Station

* Marc Brenner, 55, of 10 Wood Ave., Greenlawn

* Kyle Seliger, 21, of 26 Village Way, Smithtown

* David Guardado, 28, of 18 E, 19th St., Huntington Station

* Anthony Long, 24, of 12 Homewood Lane, Dix Hills

In addition, Barry Tuma, 48, of 723 Keith Lane, West Islip, was arrested on a charge of driving while ability impaired by the combined influence of drugs and alcohol. Tuma was also charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance and unlawful possession of marijuana as a result of a detection by a Suffolk County canine drug detection dog.

The individuals are scheduled to be arraigned Saturday in First District Court in Central Islip.
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-sobriety-checkpoint-nets-13-arrests-1.3837825?p=

Ignition interlocks would be a much more effective way of keeping all these drunks from driving. It would also be a lot less expensive than getting arrested, and a lot less humiliating than seeing your name in the newspaper for a DUI arrest.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 08:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Administration of the law shud be crippled, degraded & curtailed, to avoid interference with the freedom of the Individual citizen.

So you're an anarchist?

You fit right in with Bill and Hawkeye. Glad all of ya'll could show up to make the rest of us look good.
BillRM

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 09:48 pm
@firefly,
Of course who need a free country with a bill of rights.............

A police state after all work far better,
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
No, she does not care much for all people. Her act is pretty decent, but I have run across her kind before

No, in my opinion, it men not all people who she hate and fear as I can not remember one time that she had been overjoy about a woman getting a long sentence for some misdeed or other.

In fact she had defend more then once at best just slapping women on the wrist for bearing false witness against men.

All those drunk drivers in her mind at least are going to be male for that matter.
firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:05 pm
@BillRM,
It's a shame you lack the maturity to discuss any topic on an adult level.

And it's a bigger shame that you crap up thread after thread with your infantile nonsense.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:07 pm
@DrewDad,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Administration of the law shud be crippled, degraded & curtailed,
to avoid interference with the freedom of the Individual citizen.
DrewDad wrote:
So you're an anarchist?
Well, I'd LOVE to answer u affirmatively,
but candor & good faith move me to admit that I 'm not a 1OO% anarchist,
in that I see some very limited value in government (e.g., coining money and co-ordinating wars).

DrewDad wrote:
You fit right in with Bill and Hawkeye.
Glad all of ya'll could show up to make the rest of us look good.
Yeah, the rest of u like your (ideological) buddies Stalin, Hitler & Pol Pot 'd love to hear your support.

On the other hand, I 'll stand with Francis Scott Key 's endorsement
of "the land of the free and the home of the brave",
which is what results as long as we r very, very stingy
in granting jurisdiction to our low-life employee, government.

Were it within my power, I 'd restore the legal status quo ante
as of around 1905. Admittedly, that 's not anarchy, but its a lot more freedom!

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:17 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Administration of the law shud be crippled, degraded & curtailed,
to avoid interference with the freedom of the Individual citizen.

So you're an anarchist?

You fit right in with Bill and Hawkeye.
Glad all of ya'll could show up to make the rest of us look good.
Incidentally, true anarchists wud not find either of their posts acceptable (nor mine, either).
I remember that thay disliked my support of military conscription during the Third World War.

David
firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:20 pm
Quote:
After Nearly Dying, Drunk Driving Victim Shares Her Journey
Jul 9, 2012
Written by
Liz Crawford

Greensboro, NC-- Brittany Greene nearly died after a drunk driver hit her. She shared her journey with News 2.

We're constantly hearing about drunk driving tragedies. But for Brittany Greene, her story is more of a drunk driving miracle. At 18-years-old Brittany was in the prime of her life when a drunk driver hit her car, killing himself and almost killing Brittany.

Melissa Stewart, Brittany's mom said, "It's the phone call that no parent ever wants to get...Brittany's been in an accident and it's bad. She's got a torn aorta and she broke every bone in her body."

A drunk driver hit Brittany and her friend in the passenger seat head on. The vehicle was totaled. The car battery found behind the driver's seat. It took fire fighters two hours to get Brittany out of the car.

"When I get here, she's going to be dead. Whenever I get here, they're going to tell me that my daughter died," Melissa said about what was running through her head on the way to the hospital that night.

For Brittany, she woke up to a long road ahead.

"I just remember driving and then I woke up here," Brittany told News 2.

This is the story we don't see. It's the drunk driving victim who survives to live a life forever changed.

Since waking up, the hospital has been Brittany's home for two-in-a-half months. She's relearning how to do things she never gave much thought.

News 2 cameras rolled as Brittany practiced getting herself something to drink and getting in and out of the bathtub.

From now on, Brittany's every move is a challenge.

Brittany said, "I'll never take walking for granted again. Knowing I won't do some things like I used to, that's the hardest thing."

While Brittany's journey is centered around strengthening her mind and body through physical and occupational therapy, her mom's has been spiritual.

"You go from, please God let her live to please God, let her live and let her be the same," explained Melissa. "Life is not fair, and this was not fair what happened to you but this is what it is, but God has a plan and you just have to have faith."

Brittany has used her family's support and her own determination on her journey.

Brittany said, "I've been bugging them since I woke up to go home. Do the best you can, that's all you can do, one step at a time."

Both Brittany and her mom told News 2 that this accident has forever instilled in them just how precious life is.

"I will never take for granted that I will see my kids tomorrow," said Melissa.

Friday was Brittany's last day of rehab in the hospital. After two-in-a-half months, she was released from Cone Hospital on Saturday morning.

Once Brittany is strong enough, she plans to advocate against drunk driving. She wants to take her story to local high schools. In fact, her wrecked car was already used as a wake-up call to teens. It was displayed out front of Smith High School during prom season.
http://www.digtriad.com/news/article/235516/57/Drunk-Driving-Victim-A-Story-Of-Survival
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Right. Because there is no middle ground between anarchy and totalitarianism.

Again, thanks for showing up so that the rest of us look smart and moderate in comparison to you.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
er.... "Third World War?"
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:29 pm

There is a school of thawt in the nation (called "liberalism")
whose innermost essence tacitly invests the utmost confidence
in the notion that the PANACEA qua all problems
is curtailment of personal freedom,
incrementally replacing it with an endless series
of mandates and of prohibitions, that either
the citizens MUST do designated things
or
thay r PROHIBITED from doing other things.

From that school of thawt, I am TRUANT.

David
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:33 pm
Quote:
July 11, 2012
MADD Celebrates Missouri's Passage of Lifesaving Ignition Interlock Legislation

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo., July 11, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- More Than 100 Million People in U.S. Now Better Protected from Drunk Drivers --
Yesterday, Missouri Governor Jay Nixon signed into law a bipartisan bill that requires all convicted drunk drivers use ignition interlocks on their vehicles to prevent future offenses. Missouri is the 17th state in the nation to require all drunk driving offenders use ignition interlocks, which brings the total number of people now better protected from repeat drunk driving offenders to more than 100 million.

"Missouri is taking a great step forward in making their roadways safer through this legislation. Requiring convicted drunk drivers to use ignition interlocks to prove they are sober before they can start their vehicles has been shown to save lives and stop drunk driving," said MADD Missouri State Chair Michael Boland. "MADD thanks Representative Charlie Denison and Senator Bill Stouffer for championing this legislation, members of both parties for their support, and Governor Nixon for signing it."

The science behind requiring ignition interlocks for all drunk driving offenders has been clear for some time, showing that they reduce repeat offenses by two-thirds. In Arizona and Oregon, for example, laws requiring ignition interlocks for all convicted drunk drivers have contributed significantly to the number of drunk driving deaths dropping 51 and 52 percent, respectively.

"This is truly a victory for the safety of Missouri's roads and for the nation," said MADD National President Jan Withers. "With more than 100 million people now living in states with all-offender interlock laws, we are one-third of the way to our goal of helping keep every American safer as a result of these lifesaving laws."

Studies show that a first-time convicted drunk driver is not a first-time offender, but rather it is simply the first time they have been caught. In fact, first-time offenders have driven drunk an average of 80 times before they are convicted.

"These devices have the power to save lives and help offenders at the same time," said MADD Missouri Gateway Affiliate Executive Director Meghan Carter. "Convicted drunk drivers who have an interlock can keep their jobs, keep going to school, and at the same time, keep the public safe."

Beginning in October 2013, the new law requires first-time drunk driving offenders use an interlock for 75 days. If the interlock shows a violation during this 75-day period of restricted driving privilege, the person's license will not be reinstated until the person completes an additional 75-day period of restricted driving privilege without any violations.

Supporting ignition interlock laws is a key element of MADD's Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving®. The other two tenets are supporting our heroes in law enforcement who keep the roads safe and working to secure the future through advanced technology that could eventually eliminate drunk driving.

About Mothers Against Drunk Driving--Founded by a mother whose daughter was killed by a drunk driver, Mothers Against Drunk Driving® (MADD) is the nation's largest nonprofit working to protect families from drunk driving and underage drinking.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/madd-celebrates-missouris-passage-of-lifesaving-ignition-interlock-legislation-2012-07-11
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:37 pm

I suspect that, nationwide, liberals have a collective orgasm
every time that thay succeed in reducing n limiting freedom of the American citizen.