I just don’t understand drinking and driving

firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 01:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
That concept is contrary to American liberty

So is being deprived of your life by a drunk driver, who is driving illegally.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 02:02 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Yes an we should have remote 24/7 monitoring of all households who contain children to be sure they are not mistreated by a member of the household as such lost of freedom is worth it if it save one child from harm.
If I had been that child,
I 'd have ripped out that montor and urinated on it.

David
Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 02:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
you might wanna make sure it's unplugged first dave.

not that we wish you to father children, but...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 02:05 pm
@Rockhead,
Thanx for your advice n your blessing, Rocky
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 02:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
The Founders knew that jurisdiction and personal liberty r INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

We're talking about preventing drunk driving. Personal liberty doesn't mean you can go round breaking the law.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 02:44 pm
@izzythepush,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
The Founders knew that jurisdiction and personal liberty r INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.
izzythepush wrote:

We're talking about preventing drunk driving.
Personal liberty doesn't mean you can go round breaking the law.
Administration of the law shud be crippled, degraded & curtailed,
to avoid interference with the freedom of the Individual citizen.

Maybe we shud impose charges & fees upon each police officer
for each of his endeavors to interfere with the Individual; at least $5 for each.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 02:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You seem to have a problem with a piece of technology that can reduce crime, and lower the accident rate. You're extrapolating to the point of absurdity.

Although it might be a good idea to make sure the devices are fitted to police cars first.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 03:02 pm
Quote:
Woman Hit By Suspected Drunk Driver Has Long Road To Recovery
07/13/2012
by Morgan Frances

CORPUS CHRISTI - Monica Alvarez still sits in the hospital, feeling the emotional and physical pain she suffers from being hit by a suspected drunk driver on the 4th of July in downtown Corpus Christi. Alvarez and her family were crossing the street after the fireworks when she saw a vehicle barreling down the road.

"My four-year-old was standing right on the side of me and when I turned, that's when I saw the car coming and I picked her up and I threw her," Alvarez said from her hospital bed. "As soon as I threw her, that's when the car hit me."

The accident left Alvarez with four fractures and severe bruising along the right side of her body. Her right knee was reconstructed with plates, screws and pins. Alvarez said she'll likely have to endure plastic surgery because the skin on her leg is dying from being run over by the vehicle that night.

While the recovery process has already been difficult, Alvarez said it's been equally hard for her children. "My daughters were traumatized because of what they saw," she sad tearfully. "They actually thought I was going to die."

Police arrested 29-year-old Lacey Bauer and charged her with intoxicated assault with a vehicle. Alvarez said she never imagined something like this would happen to her family. She will have to go through months of rehab once her surgeries are complete and said doctors don't anticipate her leaving the hospital any time soon.

Alvarez said her family has grown closer from the accident and she's thankful for the outpouring of support from the community.

A benefit will be held tomorrow at 11:00 am at Auto Magic (142 Dillon Lane). The $6-a-plate proceeds will benefit her medical costs.
http://www.kztv10.com/full-coverage/mother-injur

Quote:

Bauer was charged with Intoxicated Assault with Vehicle ~ Severe Body Injury, a 3rd Degree Felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. She was additional charged with Possession of Alcoholic Beverage in a Motor Vehicle when a mixed drink was found in the center console of the Mustang. The charge is a Class "C" Misdemeanor.
http://www.kiiitv.com/story/18957642/intoxicated-women-injures-pedestrian-after-fireworks-show

"Intoxicated Assault with Vehicle" is an apt description of the crime. I'd rather see ignition interlock devices prevent this type of crime than see a driver punished after the fact with a hefty fine and lengthy prison term.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 03:50 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

We're talking about preventing drunk driving. Personal liberty doesn't mean you can go round breaking the law.

The government does not have the right to take away my liberty each time it can show that doing so will save a life. Life is valuable, but so is freedom.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 04:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Everytime you fill in a form with your name and address on it you're giving away part of your liberty. With freedom comes responsibility.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 04:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The government does not have the right to take away my liberty

It cetainly can restrict your liberty to drive while drunk. You are permitted to drive only under certain circumstances--being drunk is not one of them.

Driving is a privilege not a right.

Guess what, you are not free to do what you want whenever you want, if your behavior impinges on the rights of others--and it's your fellow citizens who have decided that.

You are not free to drive drunk without risk of penalty. Putting an ignition interlock on your car, to prevent drunk driving, is not interfering with anything you are legally free to do. And, if you are arrested for drunk driving, you will be tossed in a jail cell, to impress upon you that you are not at liberty to engage in such behaviors. By driving drunk, you put your own liberty in jeopardy, not to mention risking the lives of others.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 04:26 pm
@firefly,
I have no doubt but that you are also in favor of undesirables being forced to wear scarlet letters, and to pay the government for same, because you love to lower the hammer on those who dont follow your rules. Interlock systems are not about safety, they are about public humiliation , for which Florida charges $87.00 to install and then $72.50 a month....plus tax of course.

"MORE! MORE! MORE!" Firefly cries, her type back in the day was always found in the front row at public hangings, the loudest in the crowd.
firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 04:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Interlock systems are not about safety, they are about public humiliation , for which Florida charges $87.00 to install and then $72.50 a month....plus tax of course.

Oh please, the interlock systems are about safety--which is why they should be installed on all cars.

Drunk driving laws aren't "my rules"--they are the rules of the road your fellow citizens have agreed on, to put curbs on people, like you, who insist on playing by their own rules.

Don't you ever get tired of playing the victim card? Drunk drivers aren't victims--they are the victimizers who maim, injure, and kill others , and damage property, because they irresponsibly, and illegally, operate motor vehicles while in an impaired state.

Your insufferable victim mentality is clouding your ability to evaluate the problem of drunk driving with any degree of rationality.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 05:08 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
which is why they should be installed on all cars.

I always knew that you are hostile to the presumption of innocence, privacy and freedom, but WOW.

Just WOW!

Have the North Koreans called you with a job offer yet? You would fit right in, you get off on citizen abuse, no question about it.
BillRM

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:15 pm
@firefly,
Let see first we no longer had a government by the people just a government that pretend to be by the people.

Just like we no longer had a real jury system where you are judge by your peers, with over 90 percents of those charges never having a jury trial.

We instead have a government of and for the special interests be those special interests the owners of drug testing companies or the manufacturers of car interlocking devices.

I would not stay in a marriage where my wife without, any reason to assume I am cheating on her, is demanding on an ongoing base that I prove that fact to her and nor will I put up with a government that assume all it citizens are guilty of some misdeed or other and demand that we prove otherwise such as by blowing into a car interlock device.

But thank for coming out so openly for a government such as was describe in the book 1985 with big brother included.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
It is kind of amazing Hawkeye that Firefly is coming out so openly for a complete police state where all the citizens are presume guilty of crimes and therefore should be monitor in one manner or another 24/7.

Yes we all had know that was her manner of thinking but she had been careful to hide it to some degree before this.

Yes we should need to prove to the state that we had not been drinking before we are allowed to start our cars!!!!!!!!
firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:38 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Yes we should need to prove to the state that we had not been drinking before we are allowed to start our cars!!!!!!!!

Obviously, for you, that would be a burden. Your car would never start. Laughing

And, given the fact that, in this thread, you have argued to raise the legal BAC level to .15 or .16, when most of the world realizes it should be below .08, you've obviously discredited yourself as someone whose remarks should be considered in any serious discussion of the problem of drunk driving.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:38 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

I already know what her retort will be, it is that an NGO monitors the devices and reports their findings to the state, this the state is not in charge and she is not pro police state. The sad fact is that a fair number of people will buy that dodge of the facts.

You see Firefly in her heart of hearts does not believe in people....like every dictator and would be dictator she thinks somebodies thumb must be on us at all times to keep us in line. She thinks she is a sheep herder, and she does not mind using the whip and the cattle prod to keep us on the program.

It is time for all decent people to state publicly that she does not speak for them.
BillRM

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
MORE! MORE! MORE!" Firefly cries, her type back in the day was always found in the front row at public hangings, the loudest in the crowd.

Of course she had always expressed great joy when someone for a non-violence offend is sentence to decades in prison.

The hell with the direct and indirect cost to the society or the harm it does to innocent family members and so on.

No matter how unreasonable the punishment happen to be her answer is that the person should not had done the crime.

Overdue library books off to prison for decades as you should had return them in time after all. Laughing

firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:49 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

Of course she had always expressed great joy when someone for a non-violence offend is sentence to decades in prison.

DUI manslaughter is not a non-violent offense. It is a crime that has caused a violent death.

And you're the one who would rather see the drunk driver serve a long prison term rather than prevent drunk driving deaths by having ignition interlocks installed in cars.