I just don’t understand drinking and driving

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:30 am
@firefly,
Isn't just like our overbearing nanny state to try to force those who even once get caught driving drunk to have to go through the embarisment and cost of controlled ignition systems. We are becoming more the the fundimentalist Muslims every day.

When do the stonings and burnings start up again I wonder? Firefly will be in the front row, that is for sure.
firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:42 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Isn't just like our overbearing nanny state to try to force those who even once get caught driving drunk to have to go through the embarisment and cost of controlled ignition systems.

What's embarrassing about having an ignition control/interlock system in a car? Isn't it more embarrassing to spell embarrassment "embarisment"? Laughing

I think it would be good if all cars came equipped with ignition control/interlock systems, just as they are now equipped with seat belts and air bags and anti-lock brakes--as safety features. What's wrong with preventing drunk driving, with preventing an illegal act?
MMarciano

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:01 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
When do the stonings and burnings start up again I wonder?

About the time your diner opens.

I don’t have a problem at all with an ignition control interlock systems in a car. If it keeps my child safe from drunks on the road I’m all for it!
BillRM

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:11 am
@MMarciano,
Yes an we should have remote 24/7 monitoring of all households who contain children to be sure they are not mistreated by a member of the household as such lost of freedom is worth it if it save one child from harm.
BillRM

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:14 am
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye it is worst then that there are talk about equipping all news cars with such locks so we all will need to prove we are not under the influence before we can start our cars.
firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:24 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Hawkeye it is worst then that there are talk about equipping all news cars with such locks so we all will need to prove we are not under the influence before we can start our cars.

Why would that be a problem for you--would that mean your car would never start? Rolling Eyes

BillRM

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:38 am
@firefly,
Let see the cost of the device and far far far far more important the idea that we are all guilty until we prove we are innocent.

Who are the masters the government or the people?

Seems it coming near the time to break out the guns.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:41 am
@BillRM,
The government is the voice of the people, it protects them from irresponsible drunks like you.
firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:51 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Who are the masters the government or the people?

The people are the government.

You have no right to drive drunk. Whatever gives you the idea you do have such a right? Having a car that won't start if you are legally impaired by alcohol prevents others from being harmed by the lousy judgement of those who would drive drunk.

The cost of the device in cars would be more than off-set by the savings in accident and insurance costs, and costs of court time and resources, not to mention the savings in lives.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 12:02 pm
@firefly,

Quote:

The people are the government.

Try to get a meeting scheduled with your congresscritter without first handing over a few thousand dollars. The government works for those who pay off the elected officials, it does not work for the people.

[/quote]
firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 12:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't know about your representive in Congress, but mine regularly appears at various meetings in our district, responds to letters and e-mails, and does not seem at all indifferent to serious concerns of constituents.

Perhaps you should work to vote your representative out if they forget who elected them.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 12:14 pm
@firefly,
Cattle calls are not quality time, and even the cattle calls are becoming more rare.
firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 12:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
"Cattle calls"?Laughing You've obviously not made the effort to catch up with your member of Congress. They show up at all sorts of small groups and small functions in the district, and they really aren't that inaccessible. They are constantly campaigning because their term of office is so short, so they aren't hard to find or speak to. And they want your vote.

None of this has anything to do with the topic of this thread--it's your usual tired anti-government rant.

Ignition interlock devices in cars would help to save many lives, and help to prevent injuries and property damage that would otherwise occur due to the irresponsible judgment of those who chose to break the law and drive drunk.

Thom Swift would be much better off today if his car had been equipped with such a device that prevented him from starting it while drunk.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 01:05 pm
@firefly,
Just the other day I got a leaflet pushed through my letterbox asking if I wanted to meet Southampton Test MP Alan Whitehead.
jcboy

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 01:16 pm
@izzythepush,
hehehe I love how they call it a letterbox in England Cool
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 01:16 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Cattle calls Cool

I think he means horse meat
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 01:28 pm
@firefly,
hawkey would just have his underage date blow the device for him.

it would never work...
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 01:52 pm
Another man's view...
Quote:
Our drunk driving laws are a joke
By Jeff Edelstein
Columnist
July 13, 2012

I’ve written here before, but it’s worth mentioning it again: Our drunk driving laws make absolutely no sense.

All across this great land of ours, if you have a blood alcohol content (BAC) level of .08 or above, you are over the “legal limit.” As such, if you decide to drive a car and get pulled over, you’re going to get a drunk driving ticket.

You’re also probably completely blitzed.

Plain and simple: The .08 BAC barrier doesn’t go far enough.

I’m a drinker. Not a point of pride, but a fact. I enjoy my bourbon. And beer. And wine. I’m not a lightweight. I can hold my booze. I also weigh about a buck ninety, and so, according to every BAC calculator I’ve come across, if, over the course of two hours, I drank five beers, or five shots of bourbon, or five glasses of wine (which would be a full bottle of wine, for the record) I would still be just under the legal limit. Yep. Under. And let me also tell you this: While I wouldn’t be fall-down drunk, I’d certainly be leaning-against-the-nearest-wall drunk. In short, I’d have absolutely no business getting behind the wheel of a car.

And we wonder why over 10,000 Americans still die each year in drunk driving accidents, according to the United States Department of Transportation, and why almost 40 percent of all fatal accidents involve alcohol in one form or another.
Really, consider that last number: Four in 10 traffic fatalities involve alcohol. That’s a shocking, scary figure.

So what to do? Well, I truly believe the legal limit should be knocked down to at least .05. I’m not alone in that either, as .05 is supported by the World Medical Association, the American and British Medical Associations, the European Commission, the European Transport Safety Council, the World Health Organization and the American College of Emergency Physicians. It’s also the limit in numerous other countries, including Belgium, Germany and France.

Speaking of France, as of last week, a new law was enacted forcing all motorists to carry in their car, at all times, single-use breathalyzer tests. The idea being simple: You might check yourself before (trying so hard not to say it and failing) you wreck yourself.

Honestly, I’m pretty much for this idea as well.

I’m no saint, and I don’t like the government getting into my business, but this is not that. Drunk driving kills over 3,500 non-drunk people a year. Almost 10 people a day, just going about their business, killed by drunk drivers.

So yes. Booze is, and should be, legal. But drunk driving should be a more serious offense than it is now, and the blood alcohol legal limit levels are a joke.

Seriously. I know myself. And I know if I drink a bottle of wine over a two-hour period, I am going to be wasted. And legally allowed to drive.

Jeff Edelstein is a columnist for The Trentonian newspaper in Trenton, N.J. He can be reached at [email protected], facebook.com/jeffreyedelstein and twitter.com/jeffedelstein

http://www.pottsmerc.com/article/20120713/OPINION03/120719740/our-drunk-driving-laws-are-a-joke
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 01:53 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
"Cattle calls"?Laughing You've obviously not made the effort to catch up with your member of Congress. They show up at all sorts of small groups and small functions in the district, and they really aren't that inaccessible. They are constantly campaigning because their term of office is so short, so they aren't hard to find or speak to. And they want your vote.

None of this has anything to do with the topic of this thread--it's your usual tired anti-government rant.

Ignition interlock devices in cars would help to save many lives, and help to prevent injuries and property damage that would otherwise occur due to the irresponsible judgment of those who chose to break the law and drive drunk.

Thom Swift would be much better off today if his car had been equipped with such a device that prevented him from starting it while drunk.
That concept is contrary to American liberty.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 01:58 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
The government is the voice of the people,
it protects them from irresponsible drunks like you.
It is the function of the Bill of Rights to strangle government jurisdiction, in favor of personal freedom.
The Founders knew that jurisdiction and personal liberty r INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.