I just don’t understand drinking and driving

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 11:39 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
That’s good for people to read Firefly, the police will be out in full force tonight. If someone does get caught and wake up the next morning in a cell with a hangover they should consider themselves lucky a DUI is all they got.
That sounds like Driving While Intoxicated = higher b.a.c. level.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 11:59 am
@firefly,
DAVID wrote:
Let 's resolve not to drink n drive in the New Year!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Everyone!!!
firefly wrote:
Thumbs up to that, David.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_V09RaSn5H04/TR9hRGCsl7I/AAAAAAAABOQ/wtRBb8RQ93Y/s640/happy-new-year.jpg
I 'm reminded of a happy incident that occurred (hedonism-wise)
on New Year 's Day in the 1980s:
I was with 2 ladies in lower Manhattan, who said that thay wanted
to attend a nearby theater. Thay wanted to walk because it was close
and I did not wish to lose my parking space.

As we approached the theater, a lad appearing in his early 20s,
Irish looking, stepped on to the sidewalk and he asked me
for a quarter. I sent the ladies on ahead, in that the theater
was right in front of us, only a few feet.

I gave him a $5 bill. He was effusively thrilled with it.
I told him: "there is something that I want u to DO."

He asked what it was. I said: "have a HAPPY-- New Year!"
My unexpected gift was successful; (that does not always prove to be the case).
He was emotional in calling down Divine blessings upon me.

"The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes
."
The Merchant of Venice Act 4 Scene 1

David
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 02:41 pm
This will be my first NYE in I don't know how many years that I don't drink a drop. I don't often get drunk anymore... I plan in advance to get snockered if I feel like it and make travel arrangements.... but I'm quitting drinking. Not because I'm an alcoholic but because I kept track of the money I spent on alcohol in 2011 and even for a moderate at best drinker like myself, the amount of money was staggering. I can REALLY use that money for other things. I want to try and do some traveling around the country in 2012 and I want to invest as heavily as possible in lighting.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 02:44 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
As the Aussies say, Good on ya, Bear!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 02:46 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I want to invest as heavily as possible in lighting.

you look fine already
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 03:09 pm
@ehBeth,
You silver tongued seductress you. How about some judicious corrective surgery?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 03:21 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,

You silver tongued seductress you. How about some judicious corrective surgery?

Giving up liquor still ain't gonna give you enough money for that!
Rockhead

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 03:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
bear's getting new boobs...?
jcboy

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 04:20 pm
@Rockhead,
My friend Jonathan told me Thom has an attorney, we're not sure when his court date is as Thom has been keeping quiet and not talking to anyone about this. I'm sure we will hear about it later thou.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 04:54 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

My friend Jonathan told me Thom has an attorney, we're not sure when his court date is as Thom has been keeping quiet and not talking to anyone about this. I'm sure we will hear about it later thou.

Given the jeopardy he is in "keep your mouth shut" should have been about the first thing his lawyer told him....given how our system is structured the defendant's best interest lie in not talking, so the state gets to run the board with their theories and claims, when the state is of low enough character to care more about winning the case then it does is executing a just justice system. The unfair advantage is a big reason why the state should stay quiet until it has a conviction, to not attempt to taint the jury pool in its favor. When the state does as it did with DSK claim to the press that the defendant is slime before they do more than a cursory investigation, or here when they publish names and address of the accused and also spin the story of what happened to purposefully attempt to make the defendant look like a (like more of a?) reprobate then the state has proceeded with poor morals.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 05:01 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
This will be my first NYE in I don't know how many years that I don't drink a drop. I don't often get drunk anymore... I plan in advance to get snockered if I feel like it and make travel arrangements.... but I'm quitting drinking. Not because I'm an alcoholic but because I kept track of the money I spent on alcohol in 2011 and even for a moderate at best drinker like myself, the amount of money was staggering. I can REALLY use that money for other things. I want to try and do some traveling around the country in 2012 and I want to invest as heavily as possible in lighting.
I wanna wish u lots of GOOD LUCK with that, Bear.
May your joy in life progressively increase!

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 05:10 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
My friend Jonathan told me Thom has an attorney, we're not sure when his court date is as Thom has been keeping quiet
and not talking to anyone about this. I'm sure we will hear about it later thou.
Does your community support him or oppose him?
When u started this thread, u sounded like u were mad at him
for what he did. I felt that he 'd not wanna have u on his jury.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 05:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Are you speaking of the gay community or the community of St Pete?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 05:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
DAVID wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Are you speaking of the gay community or the community of St Pete?
Well, if I understood him accurately,
Morgan was telling us of the sentiment in the gay community,
from which he dissented, because he was incensed by the death.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 05:19 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
What do you mean by "support" or "oppose" as it specifically relates to this situation?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 05:22 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
What do you mean by "support" or "oppose" as it specifically relates to this situation?
I only meant sentimental disposition n moral support,
as distinct from denunciation.
firefly

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 05:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Why would you expect jcboy to be able to speak for the entire gay community in the area?

Wouldn't you expect that there would be varying emotions and opinions within that community?
Quote:

The man's close friends appear to be supportive of him, as jcboy mentioned in the opening post.

But, you can emotionally support someone you care about and are close to, and still denounce or be angry about what they did. These things are not mutually exclusive.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 05:44 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Why would you expect jcboy to be able to speak for the entire gay community in the area?
Because he sounds like he is well informed
and he said that "everybody knows everybody" and he sounds intelligent.

firefly wrote:
Wouldn't you expect that there would be varying emotions and opinions within that community?
No. I expect that there are varying emotions n opinions, etc.
Maybe Morgan knows what thay r.

DAVID wrote:
firefly wrote:
The man's close friends appear to be supportive of him,
as jcboy mentioned in the opening post.
OK; maybe it was rong of me to ask for an update.

firefly

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 05:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
No. I expect that there are varying emotions n opinions, etc.

Well, initially you asked the question in a somewhat black/white manner, as though there would be uniformity, or consensus, of agreement one way or the other. This is what you said...
Quote:

I'm not even sure what "oppose" would mean in that context.

How many people approve of drunk driving--particularly an instance that allegedly involves a hit and run fatality?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 06:24 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
How many people approve of drunk driving--particularly an instance that allegedly involves a hit and run fatality?

There is the matter of how blame worthy he is for the death, so it is entirely possible to take his side in his battle against the state. Just because we dont like drunk driving does not mean that we have handed the state a free pass to beat on people who do it as much as they want. The one who is too aggressively pursued or punished tends to gain our sympathy. In this case racking up the fleeing the scene charges and negating to point out that the accused alerted the state to the crime at the earliest possible time paints the state as overly aggressive in this beating.

It comes as no surprise that you have missed this fact, you being the one who is ALWAYS in favor of the state beating on the citizens with the law.
0 Replies