I just don’t understand drinking and driving

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 04:06 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
It has nothing to do with "avenging deaths"--if the driver violated traffic laws, he should be held accountable for his actions, and his own contributions to causing the deaths of two other people.

You do realize that you continually speak as if our laws were handed down by God and we had nothing to do with them....nor seemingly can they ever be wrong or poorly applied according to you.
BillRM

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 04:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
You do realize that you continually speak as if our laws were handed down by God and we had nothing to do with them....nor seemingly can they ever be wrong or poorly applied according to you.

Hawkeye I had already copyrights such comments of a nature of her considering our systems of laws like a religion person view his church dogma.

But I will give you leave to violated that copyright old friend.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

I continually emphasize that we are the people making the laws, which is why everyone should weigh in on the process, and voice opinions when legislation is proposed, so I don't know what the hell you are talking about.

We make the laws. You act as if the government is something other than the people. You're the one who criticizes laws, without becoming involved in the legislative process, or voicing your opinion where it really matters--to your legislators. All you do is bitch about them on an internet forum.

You do realize that the penalties for drunk driving, and the drunk driving laws in your state, the state of Washington, are currently in the process of being revised--don't you?
Some changes have already been made.
http://www.goodmanforcongress.com/article/67-gov-signs-goodman-dui-bill
And others have been proposed--with pending legislation.
http://www.goodmanforcongress.com/article/283-let’s-hold-drunk-drivers-more-accountable

And this legislation seeks to increase penalties
Quote:
Legislative Update

The Washington State 2012 legislative session began on January 9. Listed below are...areas where Dan Satterberg and other prosecutors around the state are pushing for reform

1. Increased Penalties for Vehicular Homicide

HB 2216 would increase the sentence for a drunk driver who kills. Under our current law, the sentence for Vehicular Homicide is 31-41 months. This bill would increase the sentence for Vehicular Homicide as a result of DUI to 78-102 months, the same as First Degree Manslaughter, which the law essentially defines as a reckless act that kills. Many would agree that drunk driving is a reckless act that kills. This amended bill was passed out of the House Ways and Means Committee to the House floor for further action.
http://www.kingcounty.gov/Prosecutor/news/2012/february/legislative.aspx

So, what are you doing in the real world to express your opinion, or to influence legislation, in the state in which you live?

BillRM

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:25 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
continually emphasize that we are the people making the laws, which is why everyone should weigh in on the process, and voice opinions when legislation is proposed, so I don't know what the hell you are talking about.

We make the laws. You act as if the government is something other than the people. You're the one who criticizes laws, without becoming involved in the legislative process, or voicing your opinion where it really matters--to your legislators. All you do is bitch about them on an internet forum.

Sorry but far too often it is lobbyists for special interests who even write the texts of the bills for our lawmakers. The only time that the lawmakers would care about Hawkeye opinion is if he was pulling a wheelbarrow full of money in front of him.

The needs and wishes of the people as a whole matter is a few weeks before the next election as we the people had short memories and with the help of millions of special interest dollars we can be lied to and mislead all to often.

We are following the path that the Roman Republic took 2,000 years ago where the Roman Senate care only for the power elite and not the welfare of the people as a whole.

It kind of a similar situation to our so call justice system where in theory we have the protections of having jury trials but in fact mainly no longer have that system.

firefly

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:49 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
The only time that the lawmakers would care about Hawkeye opinion is if he was pulling a wheelbarrow full of money in front of him

What a lame excuse for not getting involved in the legislative/democratic process.

If you don't bother to get involved, and voice your opinions, directly to legislators, and try to exert influence on legislation, then you'll get the laws and government you deserve. And bitching about it, after the fact, is too little, too late.

If Hawkeye does not like his state laws on drunken driving, he better open his mouth about it while legislation is still pending--they are trying to make changes in his state right now.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:50 pm
@firefly,
they're waiting for the revolution...
BillRM

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:00 pm
@firefly,
Sorry dear it does not work as in the county I live in for example the local government agree to paid for the bulk of a new baseball stadium again the clear and express wishes of the citizens.

As soon as possible the voters even used the recall petition method to get rid of those leaders who sign the deal however the deal was done and could not be undone.

We had the best damn government money can buy at all levels and there is little we the people in the government any longer.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:02 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
they're waiting for the revolution...
\

Sadly I do not see any solution to this problem and the Roman solution of having a emperor did not work out too well for them.
0 Replies

BeachBoy

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 07:03 pm
I ran into Mr. Swift in Tampa this week, he only weighed 150lbs, he lost at least 15lbs, not looking so good. Inspite of what he's done I can't help but to have a little sympathy. It's taking a toll on him.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 09:36 pm
@BeachBoy,
I hope u shook his hand and encouraged him.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 11:22 pm
@BeachBoy,
BeachBoy wrote:

I ran into Mr. Swift in Tampa this week, he only weighed 150lbs, he lost at least 15lbs, not looking so good. Inspite of what he's done I can't help but to have a little sympathy. It's taking a toll on him.

Music to the ears of the DA and his staff right there! They consider the infliction of pain on the "right" Americans to be the full extent of their jobs.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 11:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I hope u shook his hand and encouraged him.

David

No one is going to be fool enough to commit such a treasonous act without first being well armed. There is only one acceptable opinion to have about Thom, that being that he should rot in jail for a very long time.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 12:09 am
@hawkeye10,
Hopefully, everyone will ALWAYS be well armed, in the name of DECENCY

David
BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 12:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

I would bet that you love Robert Heinlien.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 12:16 am
@BillRM,

Quote:
BillRM wrote:
I would bet that you love Robert Heinlien.
Yes, indeed. Its hard to put his books down!

David
0 Replies

BeachBoy

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:24 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I did, we spoke for a few minutes, he didn't talk about his problems. He works for a large company and it's all over the office, that has to be difficult.
firefly

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 08:47 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Music to the ears of the DA and his staff right there! They consider the infliction of pain on the "right" Americans to be the full extent of their jobs.

Enforcing existing law is the "infliction of pain" on the ""right" Americans"? Yes, inflicting legal penalties on those who chose to break laws {and those are certainly the "right" ones to go after) is the job of D.A.'s--that's what they get paid to do.

You apparently don't see Swift as fully responsible for getting himself into his current legal situation.

In your mind, everyone, and everything else, is responsible--the drunk driving laws, the harsh penalties for DUI and reckless driving, homeless people shouldn't be out on the street at night, maybe the cyclist had a death wish, blah, blah.

Swift is responsible for choosing to violate the DUI laws and he is responsible for his driving behaviors behind the wheel. That his actions that night are now causing him a great deal of pain, I do not doubt. But, those were actions for which he is responsible. The whole needless tragedy could have been prevented--by him--had he made better choices that night.

BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 09:21 am
@firefly,
Quote:
You apparently don't see Swift as fully responsible for getting himself into his current legal situation

Until and if it is shown that Swift BAC levels whatever they happen to had been have any likely affect on the accident and the death of the cyclist happening or not the automatic manslaughter charge is not justify.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 11:17 am
@BeachBoy,
BeachBoy wrote:

I did, we spoke for a few minutes, he didn't talk about his problems. He works for a large company and it's all over the office, that has to be difficult.

Making his life difficult is 90% of the point of the state putting out a press release on his arrest....with his name, address, and car tag number.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 11:19 am
@hawkeye10,
Maybe his life is difficult because of the revulsion most people feel about drunk driving, that's nothing to do with the state.