I just don’t understand drinking and driving

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 04:25 am
@firefly,
I remember when as a college student that after taking my last finals I found that I was so short of sleep because of all night studying sessions that it was hard for me to even open my car door on the parking lot of the college.

At that point I knew I could not safety drive the car home so I went to sleep for over five hours in my car on that parking lot.

Now using the same logic that you think so highly of Firefly concerning alcohol I should had been charge with driving greatly sleep impair as the car keys was on me and I could had driven in that state!!!!

If such a law had existence that I could be charge with driving impair by sleeping in the car until I had make up for the lack of sleep I might had risk driving home in a state where it took me forever to even unlock the car door.

Wonderful idea of punishing people for doing the right thing and not driving when impair.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 04:32 am
@BillRM,
Is it illegal to go sleep in a car if you're just tired?

Your definition of logic is to bring up any irrelevant old bollocks just to muddy the waters.

What's more important is to consider the extent your judgement is affected by being tired or drunk. If you're tired you're more likely to realise you shouldn't be driving than if you're drunk.

But hey, anything to avoid talking about the case in question, where a cyclist was killed by a drunk driver.
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 08:57 am
Florida does not have the funds to run the justice system/prison system now and need to find ways to cut back and yet the Fireflies of the world wish for a ever larger percent of the total population to be place in prison for ever longer periods of times for ever more reasons.

I guess we could shut down the state universities system and aid to poor families and other unneeded government spendings to build more and more prison cells.

-------------------------------------------------------

Probation officers alarmed by policy reversal on oversight of offenders
By Steve Bousquet
Looking to cut expenses by about $79 million through June, the state’s probation officers are being told to curtail monthly field visits of offenders.
By Steve Bousquet
Herald/Times Tallahassee Bureau
TALLAHASSEE Probation officers are alarmed by a cost-saving policy reversal by the state Department of Corrections scaling back oversight of offenders.
Bleeding red ink, the prison system must cut expenses by about $79 million for the four months left in the current fiscal year, so probation officers are being told to curtail monthly field visits through June, except to sex offenders and those who are under an intensive form of supervision known as community control.
Offenders on house arrest will receive a visit every other week instead of the current weekly visits.
Acting quietly, the prison system has not issued a written directive to employees on the new policy, instead communicating by phone. The agency hopes to save at least $400,000 over the next four months.
“There are a significant number of high-risk offenders who are not going to be receiving the same level of supervision in the coming months,” said Gil Fortner, 56, of Crestview, a 27-year veteran of the prison system and a probation officer based in DeFuniak Springs.
The change surfaces as legislators make final decisions on the prison system’s budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1. One of those changes: eliminating 256 probation officer jobs.
In response to Times/Herald inquiries, the agency issued a statement that verbally tiptoed around the changes, citing security reasons.
“Public safety is the first and primary consideration before any adjustments are made,” the agency said. “However, if a modification has been made, those probationers will continue to be monitored in other ways. Due to security, the department cannot discuss further specifics as it relates to our processes as we oversee and monitor probationers.”
Christina Bullins, a Teamsters Union member who is also a probation supervisor in Miami, said fewer field visits make it less likely that an officer will discover a technical violation of probation that could prevent more serious crimes later.
“Those visits help prevent further victimization later,” said Bullins, a 12-year veteran of the Florida prison system. “You’re just not going to be as familiar with them when you’re not seeing them as much.”
Vic Castellano, 72, of Land O’Lakes, is a retired probation officer with more than 30 years experience and a former assistant regional administrator of the prison system in Tampa.
“I really don’t think you know the offender unless you’re out there in the environment,” Castellano said. But he added that every time the top leadership of the Department of Corrections changes, new policies are put into effect.
Corrections Secretary Ken Tucker’s efforts to control costs have repeatedly hit political roadblocks. He proposed closing seven prisons because of a surplus of empty beds, but lawmakers plan to keep two of them open, in Hillsborough and Jefferson counties, at a combined cost of about $20 million next year.
A privatization of all prisons in South Florida, which was projected to have saved at least $16.5 million the first year, was defeated by the Senate on a 21-19 vote.
In yet another money-saving move, Tucker has closed two privately-run re-entry centers in Bradenton and Pompano Beach, a move that will force several hundred inmates back into the prison population even though many have less than a year left on their sentences. The private firm operating the two centers, Bridges of America, is considering filing a lawsuit challenging the action.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/01/2670400/probation-officers-alarmed-by.html#storylink=cpy
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 09:53 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Is it illegal to go sleep in a car if you're just tired?
I imagine that u have a Constitutional right to the free use of your own property,
to do that, but that has apparently been called into question, by statute, in Florida.

Legislators shud face severe criminal penalties
for violating the citizens' Constitutional rights.

UNITED STATES CODE TITLE 18

CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE PART I

CRIMES CHAPTER 13 - CIVIL RIGHTS

§§ 242
Deprivation of rights under color of law

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation,
or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State . . .
to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities
secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, . . .
shall be fined under this title or
imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury
results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if
such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a
dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this
title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death
results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if
such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated
sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or
an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned
for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 10:59 am
@izzythepush,
Why would sleeping is a car in order for you to give your body time to get rid of chemicals such as adenosine that had build up due to lack of sleep and that would cause you to drive impair be in any manner difference then sleeping in a car in order to allow your body time to get rid of the alcohol that had build up in your body by drinking????!!!!????

In either case you are in a car and in "control" of that car and are unfit to drive that car.

Hell severe lack of sleep can cause a person to have hallucinations and from my own life the one time I got frighten about my lack of ability to control a car where due not to any alcohol consumption but from lack of sleep.

It one and the same thing and it just that there are no field test kits to detect blood level of the chemicals that is in the body of a sleep deprived person as there is with BAC level and we tend to look upon someone who is going without sleep in a better "moral" light then someone who had been drinking.

So public safety programs encourage drivers who are tired to pull over and get some sleep instead of arresting them for being in control of a park car when they are unfit to drive that car.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:09 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Why would sleeping is a car in order for you to give your body time to get rid of chemicals such as adenosine that had build up due to lack of sleep

Are you saying that sleeping won't help you recover from lack of sleep? Please put me back on ignore, it's tiresome having to respond to such idiotic assertions.
firefly

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:43 am
@BillRM,
If you don't understand the difference between the physiological effects of fatigue and alcohol on the human body, you must have flunked high school biology.
You are just plain ignorant. Your comparisons make no sense. And you are too ignorant to realize they don't make sense, no matter how many times it's pointed out to you. Go educate yourself on the effects of alcohol, there must be a simplified version somewhere that even you could understand.

The one thing you cannot envision, apparently, is not getting drunk before you get into a car. You take getting drunk for granted, for you it's some sort of given.

The state of Florida wants to keep drunk drivers out of their cars, if there is the possibility they could drive their cars. I've already explained why this is a valid approach in terms of interrupting the behavioral chain involved in drunk driving. But all you focus on is needing your car to pass out in after you've gotten very drunk.
Quote:
the one time I got frighten about my lack of ability to control a car where due not to any alcohol consumption but from lack of sleep

We aren't talking about other factors, beside alcohol, that can impair good driving skills--this thread is about drunk driving. Responsible drivers don't drive when any factor impairs driving ability. Apparently you are not among them, as you keep letting us know.

Swift still would be better off if he had passed out in his car in the bar parking lot, and gotten an "in control of the car", DUI ticket than he is now, with a DUI manslaughter/leaving the scene charge, and he would have avoided killing someone.

If you can't think of any alternatives, other than getting into your car, if you are very drunk, than don't bitch about the law--the problem is with you.
Drunk driving laws, such as the one in your state, are meant to prevent people from being in motor vehicles while drunk in order to minimize the possibly of their driving those cars.

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:59 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Are you saying that sleeping won't help you recover from lack of sleep?

??????????

Sleeping will help you recover from lack of sleep and allow you to get your BAC to a lower level it in fact does both.

To sum up it is very very bad public policy to punish someone for not driving home impair and instead sleeping the effect of alcohol off in a park car.

A man coming out of a bar and facing a choice between driving home impair or sleeping the affect of the alcohol off in a park car should be encourage repeat encourage to sleep it off in the same manner and for the same reasons we encourage people to get off the highway and go to sleep if they are too tired to drive any further in a safe manner.

Now that gentleman coming out of the bar know that the cops will likely be checking the bar parking lot seeking to arrest anyone who is doing the safe thing and sleeping off the effects of too must drinking in their park cars so the logical thing for him to do is to run a 20 minute risk of being pull over driving home then facing a must higher risk that the cops will check the parking lot during the few hours of sleep he might need to recover from too must drinking.

All and all it is an insanely bad public policy.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:02 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
You are just plain ignorant. Your comparisons make no sense. And you are too ignorant to realize they don't make sense, no matter how many times it's pointed out to you. Go educate yourself on the effects of alcohol, there must be a simplified version somewhere that even you could understand.

One thing I've noticed about Bill is that never admitting to being wrong is the only thing that matters. That's why his assertions are becoming more and more ridiculous. It was the same on the thread about capital punishment.

Expect some cod scientific piece of bullshit comparing the molecular structure of alcohol to that of the chemicals that build up in the body due to lack of sleep.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:06 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
If you don't understand the difference between the physiological effects of fatigue and alcohol on the human body, you must have flunked high school biology.

Oh a dead tired driver who barely can keep his eyes open is a safer driver then a person with a high BAC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord how stupid can you be to try that nonsense on this group.

Once more the only time I found I could not control a car was due to my being sleep deprived where I could not keep the car in one lane or control the speed in a constant manner.

I was a very unsafe driver at that point must more so then in my opinion then someone with even a BAC of over 1 less alone .08.

But good try I guess.....................
ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:06 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
so the logical thing for him to do is to run a 20 minute risk of being pull over driving home

the logical thing is to drive drunk?

why wouldn't the logical things be : not drinking on a night you will be driving; using a free service to get home from the bar; having a designated driver; taking a cab to/from the bar; calling a friend for a ride home?

~~~

I can't think of any reason to think that it is logical in any way to drive drunk.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:11 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Lord how stupid can you be to try that nonsense on this group.

Stop your own nonsense.

This thread was started to question why people would drink and drive, not all of the whack diversions you keep throwing in to distract readers from the issue.

Someone is dead. It will be decided whether another person who was charged with driving under the influence, careless driving and manslaughter related to that death was at fault for the death.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:13 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I can't think of any reason to think that it is logical in any way to drive drunk.

For Bill logic is something that can be stretched infintesimally. What is logical is whatever supports his position, regardless of whether or not it makes sense.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Quote:
why wouldn't the logical things be : not drinking on a night you will be driving; using a free service to get home from the bar; having a designated driver; taking a cab to/from the bar; calling a friend for a ride home?

All those steps would have been a good ideas to had taken however human nature being what it is some people will not take those steps and find themselves out in the bar parking lot at 2 am with a decision to make either safety sleep the affects of the drinking off in his car of risk a 20 minute trip home.

Now at this point it is insanely bad public policy to weight the decision more toward driving home in that state then to take the far safer course of action of sleeping in the park car.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:17 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
All those steps would have been a good ideas to had taken however human nature being what it is some people will not take those steps and find themselves out in the bar parking lot at 2 am with a decision to make either either safety sleep the affects of the drinking off in his car of risk a 20 minute trip home.

So those people who cannot exercise self-control should be punished for endangering other peoples lives.

It's not human nature to drink and drive. Plenty of people don't out of respect to their fellow man. Not everyone is as selfish as you.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:17 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Stop your own nonsense.

This thread was started to question why people would drink and drive, not all of the whack diversions you keep throwing in to distract readers from the issue.

Sorry dear you are not the tropic police and like all long threads on this website matters relating to the main subject even in a somewhat distant manner will tend to be explore.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:20 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Sorry dear you are not the tropic police and like all long threads on this website matters relating to the main subject even in a somewhat distant manner will tend to be explore.

You're quite right, I think she's Canadian. It doesn't alter the fact that you keep posting a load of irrelevant bollocks, because you're unable to stick to the topic. It's not Beth's fault if your mind keeps wandering.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:44 pm
@firefly,
You know Firefly it been 40 years or so since the time that my lack of sleep over the last few days catch up with me on I-95 headed south and all at once the NO-Dozas and having the car AC and radio at max no longer work and I could not control the car.

I never drove with a high BAC but I question if doing so is any more dangerous or frightening then driving in the state of being dead tired.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:56 pm
@BillRM,
You haven't been exploring anything other than ways to make drunk driving acceptable.

It still isn't.

Doesn't matter how much you blather or whether you're using your legible or illegible runs at posting, though I do love when Dave busts you on your legible posts.

Drunk driving isn't acceptable behaviour in North America. It's a different story in Russia, but that's not where you or Mr. Swift live right now.
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 01:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
You haven't been exploring anything other than ways to make drunk driving acceptable.

It still isn't.

Strange as the subject been of late not driving drunk but sleeping the affects of the alcohol off before driving home in a park car and then still being charge with the crime of DUI and if that is a good public policy or not.