I just don’t understand drinking and driving

jcboy

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 06:00 pm
My friend Thompson stopped by and asked to borrow my ladder to take down his Christmas lights. I know Thompson very well. His mother owns the beach house on St. George Island we use. Thompson lives a block from Thom and was with him at Alibi that night. Now Thompson said Thom wasn’t drunk when he left the bar, now I love Thompson to death but I don’t believe that for a minute. Thompson can down one after the other and do shots in between. I have never seen anyone drink like him. No way Thompson was sober at 2am in the morning when Thom left the bar.

I hope he’s not going to be a character witness.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 06:02 pm
@jcboy,
I agree re: your hope tht he won't be a witness. From what you say about him, he would be awfully easy to discredit.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 06:24 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
My friend Thompson stopped by and asked to borrow my ladder
to take down his Christmas lights. . . .
Did u let him borrow the ladder ?

David
jcboy

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 06:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Of course I did. I’ve known him for two years since I first moved to St. Pete. He’s a board member of St. Pete Pride.
firefly

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 06:46 pm
@jcboy,
Thompson might be in denial. Does Thompson drive home from Alibi as well--after drinking a great deal?

Do you think what happened to Thom is going to cause others who know him, or who hang out at Alibi, to reconsider their own drinking and driving habits?
jcboy

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 06:54 pm
@firefly,
Oh I’m sure of that! And Thompson has drove home many times and I’ve always given him hell about it. He lives so close he can walk home from the bars.

St. Pete has a very large Gay community but everyone knows everyone! It’s been all over town. People are really upset over this and I hope it makes people think before getting in their car after leaving the bars.
firefly

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 06:56 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
I hope it makes people think before getting in their car after leaving the bars.

I hope so too.
jcboy

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 07:20 pm
@firefly,
I was never a big drinker, usually two is my limit, more then that and I have an awful headache the next day.

Before we started living together Marco and I use to go out quite a bit and Isabel would watch Antonio. There is a car service in town called Kari’s Car Service. We use to call her the tranny cab because before the sex change she was a man. She owns a few passenger vans and has three other drivers and would pick up probably ten passengers each trip and take the guys home from the bars. I wouldn’t be surprised if she didn’t make over a grand every night. Something happened with her not long ago, one of the local taxi services got her in trouble for not having the proper license, not sure what the whole story was but we haven’t seen her around town in months.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 07:41 pm
@MMarciano,
Thanks, that fills in the amount, as said, yikes.
I didn't know the blood alcohol was a known.

Agree with firefly that a breath analyzer in a bar could be useful, not that I know how they work, meaning I don't know what they look like, if they have to be sterile, etc. Still the bartender has a duty, described before on this thread, not to over serve.

We served wine at our gallery openings in quite small glasses, which never got taken out the door (one of us watched the door) and were always watching the crowd in a mix of keeping an eye out for theft, inebriation, and for those who might have questions about the art work. I don't remember serving seconds, except for the show's artist who was pretty stuck there through the evening, whereas all others didn't stay very long. We served plenty of food snacks too, and bottled water and sometimes juice. We watched out for potential folks coming in for some wine instead of to see the shows, but that didn't happen much. Still, it was important that we pay attention.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 07:44 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
Of course I did. I’ve known him for two years since I first moved to St. Pete.
He’s a board member of St. Pete Pride.
OK, I just hope he didn't damage it,
with all that drinking,
get it rusty, or anything!

David
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 07:46 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
A lot of things could harm a jury likely willingness to put the hammer down on the driver such as it turn out that the cyclist was high on drugs or alcohol himself.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. This case took place in Florida. The motorcyclist who was killed was also quite drunk.
Quote:
Tuesday, the 44-year-old woman appeared for sentencing and the judge imposed a 10-year prison sentence, plis5-years probation for DUI manslaughter related the August, 2009 allegations. The woman told the judge in Tuesday's hearing that not a day goes by without her thinking about the events that happened that night. She says she was suffering from depression after her mother's death at the time of the crash. She told her story and sought lenience after changing her plea to no-contest.

The woman had no prior DUI convictions on her record. She was working three jobs to support her family the night she was involved in the traffic accident. The judge acknowledged that the August 2009 accident was indeed an isolated incident for the woman. The judge recognized her remorse. He said, however, the incident should not be treated lightly.

The judge adjudicated the woman guilty of DUI manslaughter and child neglect before imposing the 10-year prison term and 5-years of probation. The judge also permanently revoked the woman's driver's license, imposed a fine and restitution, and ordered the woman complete 50 hours of community service.

The allegations involved an accident that claimed the life of a 48-year-old motorcyclist. The woman reportedly measured 0.243 and 0.242 percent blood alcohol concentration after the fatal accident. She was traveling with her 6-year-old daughter in the car when she was involved in the crash, leading to the child neglect charge.

Police say the motorcyclist also had been drinking before the accident. His blood alcohol level reportedly measured more than twice the legal limit in Florida.
http://www.fortmyersattorneydui.com/2011/10/woman-sentenced-to-10-years-for-florida-dui-manslaughter.shtml

On the other hand, if it can be shown that the man on the bike was not visible, because the bike lacked lights or reflectors, then the driver might not be held responsible for causing the accident.
Quote:
Flagler accident won't face DUI manslaughter charge
By FRANK FERNANDEZ, Staff writer
December 16, 2011

PALM COAST -- The driver of a pickup who struck and killed a 15-year-old on a bicycle in Seminole Woods in August had a blood-alcohol level nearly twice the legal limit but won't be charged with DUI manslaughter, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Gary E. Wright Jr., 32, of Palm Coast has been charged with misdemeanor DUI because authorities didn't think he was at fault for the fatal accident.

Wright was driving the pickup which struck Kirt Smith from behind as Smith peddled south about 8:40 p.m. on Aug. 26 in the inside southbound lane on Seminole Woods Boulevard south of State Road 100 in Palm Coast. Kirt died from his injuries three days later at Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach.

Wright admitted to drinking two Long Island Iced Teas and had a blood alcohol level of 0.15, according to the FHP report. A driver is considered impaired under Florida law with a blood alcohol level of 0.08.

However, Kirt was riding his bicycle in the dark without a headlight, taillight or rear facing red reflector, according to an FHP accident report. A headlight, taillight and the rear red reflector on the bicycle are all required by law, said FHP Lt. Bill Leeper in a phone interview. Smith also was required to wear a helmet because he was under 16, Leeper said.

"Our investigation has been completed and after collecting all of the evidence, interviewing witnesses and consulting with the State Attorney's Office, we have charged Mr. Wright with Driving Under the Influence (DUI)," Leeper wrote in an e-mail.

Assistant State Attorney Ben Fox said Thursday that a DUI manslaughter charge combines driving under the influence with causing or contributing to the cause of a fatal crash.

"If it's the other person's fault but the (DUI) defendant didn't cause the crash, then it's just DUI," Fox said.

FHP Cpl. Peter Young, who investigated the accident, conferred with Fox.

"He did consult us and we did agree that there was insufficient evidence of causation to file DUI manslaughter, and the trooper determined and the State Attorneys Office agreed that he would file just the DUI citation," Fox said.

It's difficult to determine whether alcohol prevented a driver from taking evasive action to avoid a crash, Fox said.

"You have to be able to show that had the person not been impaired he could have avoided the crash and I don't believe that could be proven in this case," Fox said.

If convicted of misdemeanor driving under the influence, Wright faces up to six months in jail, although there is no mandatory jail time. Wright also faces suspension of his drivers license for between six to 12 months, and between six months and one year probation. He may have to perform 50 hours of community service and have his vehicle impounded for 10 days, and pay a $500 fine.

The decision to charge Wright with what is known as a "simple DUI" means he does not need to worry about the much stiffer penalties of DUI manslaughter -- a second-degree felony carrying a minimum of four years in prison and a maximum of up to 15 years upon conviction. The DUI manslaughter charge also carries a fine of up to $10,000 and a lifetime drivers license revocation.
http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/flagler/2011/12/16/driver-in-fatal-flagler-accident-wont-face-dui-manslaughter-charge.html

Of course, in the case we are discussing, the driver also fled the scene and failed to aid the fatally injured victim, so those charges would likely still stand, even with a "simple DUI".
firefly

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 08:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Agree with firefly that a breath analyzer in a bar could be useful, not that I know how they work, meaning I don't know what they look like, if they have to be sterile, etc.

They fit in the hand, osso. I think they have a removable disposable mouth piece--you just change it after each use. A bar could charge a patron a small amount to cover the cost of the disposable mouthpiece.

They run the gamut in terms of price, but some are very reasonably priced, and anyone who goes out and does some drinking might want to consider getting one for themselves.
http://alcomate.net/index.php/portable.html

It's a lot less expensive to buy a breathalyzer for your own personal use, to be sure you are not near the .08 level when you get behind the wheel, than to pay a lawyer after you get arrested for DUI.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 08:15 pm
@firefly,
True.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 08:19 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. This case took place in Florida. The motorcyclist who was killed was also quite drunk.

Sorry I live in Florida and I serve on juries in Florida so I would not be so sure of how people will reacted on any one jury Firefly in any one case.

I can indentify with being hit by the fool drunk when cycling and I can indentify having some fool cyclist breaking the rules of the road and wearing dark clothes and caming out of nowhere in front of a car I am driving.

If a case and the situation call for jury nullification Flordia juries had been known to do so.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 08:46 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
If a case and the situation call for jury nullification Flordia juries had been known to do so.

The state has an answer to that, it is loading up on charges so that if the citizen rolls the dice and loses then they are supremely fucked. The state will threaten 30+ years and then offer something less in a plea deal like 13 years, and then also give the jury the option of something like 13 years on a lessor charge this the perp will be looking at 30+ years if he loses or 13 years in a trial or in the plea with only the very slim chance of getting something reasonable if he goes to trial. In this situation most logical people will take the 13 years in a plea in order to make sure that they are not stuck with the 30 years. Under this program the state gets a huge portion of the retribution that they want most of the time, but this is not what justice looks like.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 10:24 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Of course, in the case we are discussing,
the driver also fled the scene
Not necessarily; he might have left slowly, to call the police to the scene.

firefly wrote:
and failed to aid the fatally injured victim, . . .
Its possible that decedent was too dead to be aided.

Is it possible
that he might have perished from a heart attack b4 contact was established??
Maybe he had been pedaling too hard.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 10:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
very slimy dave...

the truth plays such a small role in a proper defense.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 10:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
maybe the guy (being a worthless homeless bum and all) was trying to suicide, and the driver was just helping him out of his miserable existence. he's a firkin hero, he is...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 10:32 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
very slimy dave...

the truth plays such a small role in a proper defense.
( I dunno, but I suspect that the suicidal bicyclist was pedaling backward,
into poor Thom's front end.
)
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 12:10 am
I had never heard of these Designated Driver Services before. This sounds like a great idea to help keep people from driving drunk. They'll get both you and your car home.
Quote:
National Directory of Designated Driver Services
When You REALLY Need to Get a Ride
LAST UPDATED 12/21/11

Here’s a situation. You have driven somewhere and gotten drunk. You know you should not drive. You could take the bus or a cab. However, that leaves your car behind. You need your car in the morning.

What to do? Risk it?

NO WAY!

In many cities across America, there are ’designated driver’ services available. These companies will actually get both you and your car home safely. The biggest challenge is knowing if they are available in your area. Don’t worry. We’ve got you covered.

Designated driver services generally work one of two ways. There are ’Team Lift’ and ’Scooter’ approaches.

Team Lift is where two guys come to where you are in their vehicle. One drives you home in your car while the other follows in their car. They get you home and then both ride off together in their car.

The Scooter approach is where a guy arrives on a special scooter that folds up and fits into a nice, compact carrying bag. He stows the scooter in your trunk and drives you home in your car. Then he unpacks his scooter and rides off to his next client.

There are both commercial businesses and non-profit groups providing designated driver services. Commercial businesses typically offer other transportation services as well. They will frequently serve a single large metropolitan area and its immediate surroundings, if not that entire county. Most non-profits work directly with individual restaurant and bar owners in their local city or county. To use these services, you need to be in a participating bar or restaurant. The non-profit designated driver services are usually cheaper and sometimes even free. You should tip them! Many of these services also operate only during limited weekend hours. In fact, some are available during Holidays only.

Another way designated driver services can work is by membership. Pay for your membership, and you can avail yourself of the service when needed.

These companies, both commercial and non-profit, serve the general community. There are other, more or less private designated driver services available to specific institutional groups.

For example, South Dakota State University is among many that make designated driver services available to their students. The Dover Airmen Against Drunk Driving (DAADD) Program serves the airmen of Dover Air Force Base in Delaware. Air Force, Army and Navy bases frequently have designated driver services ready for their people. If you live on a campus or a base, they generally tell you if they have a designated driver service available to you.

We always suggest that you make yourself aware of all your alternatives to driving under the influence. Find out if a Designated Driver service is available in your county and visit their website to make yourself familiar with the service they offer. Find out what it takes to get a ride, how much it will cost, and where and when the service is available. If a Designated Driver service is available to you, make sure that you know about it.

Check our "Get a Ride" list below. The Get a Ride list includes commercial and non-profit companies that get you and your car home when you can't drive. Therefore, this list does not include limousines, standard taxis, or party buses.

We do list some taxis, though. Cab drivers have a vested interest in keeping drunk drivers off the roads. In an attempt to help make that happen, some taxi services offer a "Free Ride Back" to your car the next day. We even list a free taxi service. Tip them if you can. If you think you might use one of these services, be sure to begin the evening by parking somewhere that will be safe from towing, ticketing, or vandalization overnight!

STATES WITH NO
DESIGNATED DRIVER
SERVICES

Alabama
Hawaii
Montana
Nebraska
New Hampshire
Vermont
West Virginia
http://www.drinkinganddriving.org/tools/services.html

You can check out the list of Designated Driver Services by state here