What is free will?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 05:32 pm
@reasoning logic,
Displacing a structure, a set of precise processes, is an argument in favour n not against reductionism...
tomr

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 05:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That does look like an interesting book. Maybe one day I'll get to read it.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 06:06 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Displacing a structure, a set of precise processes, is an argument in favour n not against reductionism...

I will be honest and say that a few of you are able to talk about things beyond my grasp but that is OK because I am hear to learn more than I already know. Wink
Olivier5

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 06:30 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Just how all that babbling disproves reductionism ??? Substituting materials n even objects doesn't mean substituting functions...as long any other object is able to perform a given X function the said object shares behavioural properties with the first object.

Behavioral properties is an interesting concept, with biological origins. We should dig that up another day. Suffice to say that in the clock example, whereby one changes all the parts with others made of a different material, the point is that the atomic-level quantum properties of ghese different atoms do not matter much at the level of the cog. What matters is 1) solidity and other physical characteristics of the material at ambiant temp; 2) the SHAPE you give to the material.

You could argue that the physical qualities of a material depends on its atomic-level characteristics. That's true for its weight, somewhat, and that may be true for strength, elasticity, ductability, etc. I don't think it's fully understood yet but that's a question for Farmerma, and it may well be true. STILL, the precise shape of the cog is what matters MOST. You could chose from different materials, even non-metalic perhaps like silicate or plastic or what not. as long as they have the solidity, the circumference, number of dents, shape of those dents, etc. as the original, it would work. And you might have the best possible material, but if you break one dent it's over.

All this to say: it's all in the design, baby! Or to apply it to biology, the structure drives the parts and make them work.

It's always about the 'shape' things take or have. DNA is nothing by itself, without a cellular super-structure around it that USES it to read and write the recipes of useful proteins in chemical code.

On another planet they may used some other acid than the desoxyribonucleic to write down their biologic codes, and it works just as well I guess.

[quoted] If you are going to speak up for Holism do it right. On the other hand no matter how holistic you go you wont make a set of squares/bricks behave like a circle/wheel.[/quote]
I thought holism was your cup of tea? Any determinist interpretation of QM is holistic in nature.
Quote:
The de Broglie–Bohm theory is explicitly nonlocal: The velocity of any one particle depends on the value of the guiding equation, which depends on the whole configuration of the universe. Because the known laws of physics are all local, and because nonlocal interactions combined with relativity lead to causal paradoxes, many physicists find this unacceptable.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Broglie–Bohm_theory

So in that (your?) interpretation of QM, the whole universe knows at all times the position, speed, direction, spin of each and every particle in it, and computes the next stage based on that instant info. Rather a strange holistic behavior which reminds one of God.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 06:31 pm
@reasoning logic,
If that is so then you already possess the greatest quality of us all here... Wink
...I really hope you mean it as that fine line is the difference between being stuck n gaining some momentum !
"Speed" of mind is just flashy lights n vanity...moving forward is what truly counts n matters. (I am dead serious not joking)
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 06:32 pm
@tomr,
Quote:
The arrangement of the pieces is important though(if you want a clock).

Anything else worth having has a structure and works because of its structure.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 06:40 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Do hormones control you or do you have freewill over them? Please explain how you can avoid them if you choose. How are you able to override them?

You can learn to control your emotions, like anger (associated with corticotropin-releasing hormone or PRH). You can also drink wine or smoke funny cigarettes, or take hormones in pills.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 06:49 pm
@Olivier5,
We now have the atomic clock in Boulder, Colorado, the most accurate clock in the world. It's no longer gears and springs. It's atoms that measures time.

Quote:
Extremely precise radio signals are broadcast at 5, 10 15 and 20 megahertz for example to allow anyone, or industry to have reference to frequency standards. The most precise clock is accurate to one second in 3.7 billion years.

Quote:
An atomic clock is a clock that uses the resonance frequencies of atoms as its resonator. According to Encyclopedia Britannica, the resonator is "regulated by the frequency of the microwave electromagnetic radiation emitted or absorbed by the quantum transition (energy change) of an atom or molecule." (See the National Institute of Standards and Technology for a diagram and description of the process.)
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 06:54 pm
@Olivier5,
My notion of "God" is totally dull I guarantee you...you are in for a disappointment with the cynical suggestion you do about my motives...Wink
My "God" is not much different from Einstein's "God"... an abstract non living, non thinking system which craves nothing (if everything) has no wants (if all possible will exists in an ensemble already accomplished) and although is the "source" of all things it still is powerless to change an atom out of place...that said for me "God" is the all history of phenomena like a frozen 4D film...metaphysically speaking, out of time, there is no "determinism" which bottom line is a timely perspective on completeness on which all there is is perfect correlation...if for one side he/it is the justification, the unmoved mover of all there is, for another he is "destiny made thing"...and as such, dead !

Oh yes...on Wholism shape is everything (geometry est vraiment super)...but extension n shape are born out of a mechanical linkage of points in quantized space not on an infinitely divisible continuum (my belief)...indeed a system has unique properties or otherwise if useless why would the Universe have systems ? They aren't suppose to be null...The point about systems is that they have parts n my point is that one of the most important parts of a system is its internal dynamics...when you account for dynamics as a part itself, the all apparent dichotomy about holism vs reductionism fades away...they are interchangeable...an elegant theory of reality demands they MUST be interchangeable !
Alors, c´est ton tour, vas-y !
Olivier5

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:07 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
You have the god of a determinist, a god who doesn't play dices. What other god could you have? Smile
Quote:
on Wholism shape is everything

My take is better described as structuralist. Holism has a religious ring to it.
Quote:
when you account for dynamics as a part itself, the all apparent dichotomy about holism vs reductionism fades away...they are interchangeable...an elegant theory of reality demands they MUST be interchangeable !

Now you sound like Fresco!
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:11 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
You can learn to control your emotions, like anger

Are you aware that we are able to create gays and hermaphrodites? Do you think that our creations are able to overcome how they have been created?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:17 pm
@Olivier5,
The difference between me n fresco is minimal and yet enough to get to the extreme opposite conclusion...Fresco believes "dynamics" is an essential feature of reality...in other words he believes motion is real...I don't...for me motion, dynamics, is yet another set of instructions on which binary sets of information "things" fall within bigger descriptive sets that the observer can no longer "observe" but that are there...the passing of time seams just a clever graceful trick of this world...there is nothing to nothingness...there is nowhere to move out of everything ...and everything cannot move out of itself if everything...that which is complete does not move !
Olivier5

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:18 pm
@reasoning logic,
Gay IDK. Hermaphrodites, certainly. Bangkok's full of them.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:21 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
You wrote,
Quote:
the passing of time seams just a clever graceful trick of this world.

It's no wonder there can't be any agreement about reality and free will.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:23 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
The difference between me n fresco is minimal and yet enough to get to the extreme opposite conclusion...Fresco believes "dynamics" is an essential feature of reality...in other words he believes motion is real...I don't...for me motion, dynamics, is yet another set of instructions on which binary sets of information "things" fall within bigger descriptive sets that the observer can no longer "observe" but that are there...the passing of time seams just a clever graceful trick of this world...there is nothing to nothingness...there is nowhere to move out of everything ...and everything cannot move out of itself if everything...that which is complete does not move !

Errrr... I feel like the odd one out because I believe in a much simpler version of reality. You know, 'semi-naive realism'... :-) It doesn't look like the Matrix too much.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:27 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Gay IDK. Hermaphrodites, certainly. Bangkok's full of them.

Do you think that I was joking around about our scientific ability?
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:30 pm
@Olivier5,
No your vision may be deemed more "normal" but certainly there is no simpler more crude vision that suppresses true infinity n motion then mine...I take Occam´s razor very seriously...Wink
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:31 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
You can learn to control your emotions, like anger

Are you suggesting that you can stop your anger before it happens or do you realize that it is less productive to act on it in some cases?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:35 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
You can learn to control your emotions, like ange

Are you suggesting that you can stop your anger before it happens or do you realize that it is less productive to act on it in some cases?

I don't get how your first half of the sentence relates with the second... anger management and utility are two different subjects...I guess utility is a good justification for anger control but then why would you need to contrast them ?
Olivier5

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:36 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Why IN HELL would one want to suppress infinity and motion?