What does it mean?

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 08:35 am

Does "risks placing the real power for drug approval not just with a cabinet secretary, but with the White House itself" mean "risks placing the power in the hand of a secretary or White House itself?"

Context:

The precedent risks placing the real power for drug approval not just with a cabinet secretary, but with the White House itself. The only solution, then, is to make the F.D.A. truly independent. Americans have already done this, through the Federal Reserve, to protect our money supply from political meddling; it’s time to do it for drugs.

More:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 616 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
boomerang

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 08:57 am
@oristarA,
What you find in America is that certain drugs approved by the FDA are sometimes kept from the market, not for safety reasons but for political reasons.

There was recently a dust up over the FDA recommending that "Plan B" (the morning after pill) should be available over the counter (without a prescription) to anyone who wanted to buy it. Many anti-abortion politicians didn't want this to happen and the decision was overturned for political reasons. (Here's one news story about it: http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/286073/sebelius-and-plan-b-kay-hymowitz)

The writer of your article is suggesting that these decisions should lie solely within the scope of the FDA.
oristarA

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 09:28 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

What you find in America is that certain drugs approved by the FDA are sometimes kept from the market, not for safety reasons but for political reasons.

There was recently a dust up over the FDA recommending that "Plan B" (the morning after pill) should be available over the counter (without a prescription) to anyone who wanted to buy it. Many anti-abortion politicians didn't want this to happen and the decision was overturned for political reasons. (Here's one news story about it: http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/286073/sebelius-and-plan-b-kay-hymowitz)

The writer of your article is suggesting that these decisions should lie solely within the scope of the FDA.

Excellent!

But Boomerang, you haven't answered my grammatical question.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 09:45 am
@oristarA,
I'm not really sure. I think I'd have to see more of the article. (Your "more" doesn't have a link following it.) I need to know what precedent they're discussing.

I think what they mean is "not just with a cabinet secretary but with the President himself".

I think your "or" would be wrong. They aren't saying that it would be the secretary OR the White House, they're saying it would be the White House, not the secretary.

The Secretary is not an elected position so they might not make the most politically expedient decision.
oristarA

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 10:01 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I'm not really sure. I think I'd have to see more of the article. (Your "more" doesn't have a link following it.) I need to know what precedent they're discussing.

I think what they mean is "not just with a cabinet secretary but with the President himself".

I think your "or" would be wrong. They aren't saying that it would be the secretary OR the White House, they're saying it would be the White House, not the secretary.

The Secretary is not an elected position so they might not make the most politically expedient decision.

Oops! The link is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/opinion/free-the-fda.html?_r=3

My puzzle is the relationship between "risks" and "with." So I asked:

Does "risks placing the real power for drug approval not just with a cabinet secretary, but with the White House itself" mean "risks placing the power in the hand of a secretary or White House itself?"
boomerang
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 10:23 am
@oristarA,
Yes! I'm sorry, I did misunderstand the question.

Here "with" does mean "in the hands of". Placing the power with the secretary or WH means the same as placing the power in the hands of the secretary of WH.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 05:23 pm
The word "risks" here is being used as a verb, not a noun. I think that might be your prolem with the grammar.
0 Replies