Dennis Miller and journalistic ethics

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 03:25 pm
Dennis Miller has said that he will give GWBush a pass on his new CNBC show, because he likes the guy. He is a comedian, and he says he shouldn't have to worry about some bullshit jounalistic ethics. But CNBC is a news station, isn't it? Isn't there some conflict of interest going on here? And who is to blame?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,485 • Replies: 20
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 03:29 pm
Eh, it's his show, he can do what he wants. Is anyone actually watching it?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 03:56 pm
It is indefensibly boring -- not nearly as exciting as artificial insemination.
Dennis might just as well have said that he gives Dubya the pass because he gives good head and then strike a beaming smile.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 03:58 pm
The premiere of "Dennis Miller," with guest appearances by California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and a chimpanzee named Elle, drew 746,000 viewers, more than four times the average audience in the same 9 p.m. time slot last season, according to Nielsen Media Research.
But CNBC was still dwarfed by its larger rivals, Fox News Channel and CNN. Fox's "Hannity and Colmes" led the hour with 1.7 million viewers, while CNN's "Larry King Live" averaged 1.3 million
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:10 pm
whatd the monkey have to say?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:36 pm
He said the same old stuff . . . "the world is a better place without Saddam Hussein, we are liberating the Iraqi people . . . " oh, you didn't mean George Bush, did you.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:43 pm
It's too difficult to tell which one is the chimpanzee.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:43 pm
the monkey said something about a 1,000 points of light and then defered to his son the chimp who scrambled about on the floor looking for energizer batteries to operate the Star Wars Initive (also know as peace-nuker)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:45 pm
Re: Dennis Miller and journalistic ethics
kickycan wrote:
But CNBC is a news station, isn't it? Isn't there some conflict of interest going on here? And who is to blame?

CBS has news too. Should they pull their entire prime time lineup because it isn't all news? He said very cleary at the begining of his show that it was an ENTERTAINMENT show - not news and Dennis Miller is an entertainer - not a journalist.

Pretty amazing that a show of that poor quality manged to get your feathers ruffled.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:45 pm
Dyslexia, that is hilarious.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:56 pm
fishin':

My feathers are not ruffled. I just thought it was interesting, and I was just wondering if anyone thought it could be a problem for CNBC to mix in a show in which the host is doing biased comedy about the news on a supposed news station. Wouldn't that kind of take away from their credibity? I think Dennis Miller is hilarious and I usually like whatever he does. I just think that CNBC made an odd choice.

By the way, your CBS example is completely ridiculous.

CBS has news, but it isn't known as a "news" station. CNBC is. It's not the same thing.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 05:09 pm
kickycan wrote:
By the way, your CBS example is completely ridiculous.

CBS has news, but it isn't known as a "news" station. CNBC is. It's not the same thing.

No, your calling CNBC "news" is what is completely ridiculous. Look at CNBC's programing line up. Their shows are more in line with "Good Morning America" or "Live with Regis and Kelly" than any real "news". Is Suzy Orman "news"? How about "The Apprentice"? They run a few hours during the day with qausi-serious stock market news. Otherwise it's all fluff.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 05:25 pm
I am sorry, I thought that they were marketing themselves as a kind of business news station. They have two shows that don't really fit into that category. About 90% of CBS is in that category. I don't think they are even close to the same thing.

Boy, you really got your feathers ruffled there, didn't you? Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 05:29 pm
CNBC is nothing for NBC to be proud of and their affiliation with Microsoft on MSNBC is equally dubious. I do agree the Comedy Channel would be more appropriate and I don't know why Dennis was appearing on The Tonight Show and other NBC "news" shows to tout this as a comeback. He should have stuck with HBO but I think Bill Maher usurped his postion there. Dennis needs to polish up his routine -- it's old and stale and completely lost its luster. Even on the old show, the guests all began interviewing Dennis!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 05:30 pm
(And Jon Stewart I'm sure kept him from getting a spot on the Comedy Channel).
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 05:34 pm
They have infomercials late at night too. And "After Hours" isn't really news either. But then again it's like "Larry King" and CNN is still considered a news channel.

But really they are a business news channel. That's why people watch it. People don't watch CNBC for "The Apprentice." They have been adding a lot of other shows more recently though.

They're very careful about journalistic ethics. Besides "the Dow is at..." and "the NASDAQ is at..." the most frequently spoken phrase is probably "for the sake of full disclosure..."
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 05:34 pm
Lightwizard, I agree with you somewhat. I think he's the kind of guy who should just do one big stand up show every six months or so and get HBO to pay for it. He's much better at the stand up than the give and take, face-to-face talk show thing. And I think CNBC just has an almost non-existent viewership, and this is a desperate move for ratings. I guess they really don't care about being taken serious as a news station, as much as they want ratings right now. I think it will hurt them.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 06:46 pm

Dennis Miller ?

Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z Z .........

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 07:08 pm
he wAS FUNNY , once. THEN WHEN HE DID HIS RANTS, I realized he was reading cue cards or a prompter trying to sound deep. Boy was I pissed . What he tried to pass as idignation was just Helen whats er faces speed reading course.
let me get this right. Wasnt he originally a liberal leaning comedian?(I can remember monty python lines but ill be damn if I can remember anything funny from Mr miller).
I suppose Ill need to be tortured on tHE COMFY CHAIR!!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 09:15 pm
I saw the stand up he did a few years ago on HBO, and it was pretty damn hilarious. He was talking about how people create their own gods, and I remember one of his lines was that he believes in God too, it's just that his God thinks he's incredibly f*cking funny. The way he delivered it was totally brilliant. I think he was definitely leaning to the left, from what I remember. Why does that matter?

Farmerman: He was reading cue cards, but didn't he also write his own material? I don't see the problem there. If he didn't write it, then I could see how you'd be pissed, but I don't think that's true. Where did you hear that?
0 Replies