Ticomaya

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 07:32 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
If, I assume. you do not mean that having one upon your person will be banned in cars, I see no problem if there is good data to suggest they are dangerous. It appears, though I have not researched it, that such data exists.

If research suggests that wimmen drivers are dangerous, would you support a ban?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 07:47 am
@Ticomaya,
Luckily for the bunny, the research runs the opposite way.

Mr. Green
djjd62

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 08:00 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Do people no longer stop and ask directions?

at least once a week while i'm on my walk, the funny thing, about half of them have gps systems, the problem being, a restructuring of townships has made for some bizarre address anomalies

for instance, i live on the edge of my township, my mailing address is actually in the adjoining township, so if i google map my location using my mailing address, i end up looking at a business about 6 miles to the west of me
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 08:01 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I generally don't want to be reachable on my own time, including when I'm at home.

amen
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 08:38 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Luckily for the bunny, the research runs the opposite way.

Impossible.
Mame

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 09:07 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

If we don´t have a cell phone we still can make phone calls from normal phone.

Not from a car, you can't.
saab wrote:

We cannot use an icebox instead of a refrigerator as there are noone to deliver ice for an icebox anymore. So you need a freezer to make ice to use for your iceobx.

You're so literal. It wasn't about refrigerators, per se. Did you miss her point?

Anyway, I agree with her. You don't have to have them or even use them much, but when you want/need one, it's great to have. I google everything, and on a trip, it's fabulous to have. If you're on a road trip, you can look up nearby restaurants and make your choice. You wouldn't know, otherwise, what was available, how far it was, or where it was. Yes, they're not necessary, but very handy.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 09:30 am
@Ticomaya,
http://www.sirc.org/publik/driving.pdf

Very Happy

Quote:
Differences between men end women in terms of their driving behaviour and accident rates have long been demonstrated in the UK, mainland Europe, the United States, Australia and in many other countries.

In all studies and analyses, without exception, men have been shown to have a higher rate of crashes than women.

This gender difference is most marked in the population under the age of 25 years, but is also evident among older drivers. The difference between the sexes in terms of the number of fatalities resulting from road crashes is similarly marked. (See, for example, Evans (1991), McKenna et al (1998), Parker et al (1995), Abel-Aty and As-Saidi (2000), Waller et al (2001), Waylen and McKenna (2002), Lancaster and Ward (2002)).

The scale of this difference between the sexes is very substantial. Chipman et al (1992), for example, show that men have double the number of crashes (per 1,000 drivers) than women.

Waller et al (2001) also note that in addition to having a higher number of crashes, men incur their first crash earlier in their driving career and are more likely than women to be held to blame for the incident. Norris et al (2000) and others attribute this greater level of crash-proneness to higher driving speeds among men and less regard for traffic laws.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 10:14 am
@ehBeth,
i have always thought that women were just better drivers in general.
We do not have a high amount of testosterone that triggers us into anger as easily as men do. We are not so competitively driven and since our brains have the capability of holding several thoughts at once with out losing focus, driving is never pushed to the way side because of stress, anxiety..etc.

but that is just my general idea. Not concrete anything Smile
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 10:24 am
@shewolfnm,
That is in the study I linked.

I really noticed the results of the phenomenon when I worked as a rehabilitation counsellor a couple of decades back. Went to visit a client in a rehab hospital - the huge majority of the patients were young and middle-aged guys - paras/quads/tetras - diving/driving accidents.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 10:33 am
@shewolfnm,
I like your idea.
Of course, only men would be idiotic enough to ticket someone for looking at them the wrong way.
(You see it in traffic court all the time.
Q"Why did you pursue the plaintiff at a high rate of speed while blowing your horn?"
Answer: "He cut me off and endangered my children."
Q"So, after he cut you off and endangered your children, was anybody actually injured ?
Answer: "No"
Q: "So thplaintifflantiff has testified that he tried to drive away from you but you followed at speeds exceeding 85mph while blowing your horn. Is that true?"
A: "He cut me off! I had to show him, er. "
Q: Would you say that when you were pursplaintiff plantiff at 85 mph that your children were in less danger then when he cut you off?
A: "I wanted him to stop so I could confront him."
Q: So you wanted to take your children at high speed in hopes that a total stranger, a person completely unknown to you, would stop and then you would get out of your car leaving your children alone while you confronted this stranger?"
A: Yes.

~~
We really need to have a national conversation about testing and licensing people before they can have children.

Joe(yah think?)Nation
saab

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 11:43 am
@Mame,
I still prefer to use a map - simply because I enjoy reading maps.
On a roadtrip or being in a city I like to exploare and I am not looking up where there is a restaurant ahead of me.
I still prefer a little bit of adventure. Loosing my way maybe, asking for directions, find out about things which are new.
When I visit a city for the first time, I study a map and have the directions in my head and just walk or take a bus or streetcar.
This is so much more fun than to only have contact with my cell phone instead of life itself.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:29 pm
@ehBeth,

I like the conclusion: "Men and women are different."

All I have to say is ... bah!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:30 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

i have always thought that women were just better drivers in general.

Ah, hahaha, haha, no. No way. The exact opposite of my experience.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:36 pm
@saab,
A propos of using a map, i found that the Microsoft product "Streets and trips" was the best available map making program. If you went online before using it, it was up-to-date on road repair and construction to within hours. We used it in one of the businesses i managed, and one morning as i drove to work, there was a sign announcing resurfacing on an interstate highway. Later that day, i was putting together maps for a crew going to New Mexico (from Ohio), and at the very beginning of the trip, they advised driving through the center of Columbus to get to I70 West to avoid the construction on 270--the bipass highway around Columbus--which means they had incorporated the construction which had just commenced that morning. I'm not a big fan of Microsoft, so it says a lot that i preferred their program over any other.

I understand the part about maps being a distraction, but no worse, in my experience, than taking your eyes off the road to look at your nifty GPS doohicky.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:39 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Q: "Why did you pursue the plaintiff at a high rate of speed while blowing your horn?"

A: "He cut me off and endangered my children."

Q: "So, after he cut you off and endangered your children, was anybody actually injured ?

A: "No"

Q: "So the plaintiff has testified that he tried to drive away from you but you followed at speeds exceeding 85mph while blowing your horn. Is that true?"

A: "He cut me off! I had to show him. "

Q: "Would you say that when you were pursuing plantiff at 85 mph that your children were in less danger then when he cut you off?"

A: "I wanted him to stop so I could confront him."

Q: "So you wanted to take your children at high speed in hopes that a total stranger, a person completely unknown to you, would stop and then you would get out of your car leaving your children alone while you confronted this stranger?"

A: "Yes."

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Ah, hahaha, haha, no. No way. The exact opposite of my experience.

Ditto.
saab

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:53 pm
@Setanta,
Driving in Denmark we have even used an older geodetical (?) map.
It is so much fun. It shows every little place along the road. Even though the roads might have changed the villages are in the same place.
It shows churches with and without a spire, lighthouses, windmills, watermills, ruins, doctor´s office.
Of course some of all these things do not exists any more, but one gets a good feeling for how it was around 1930-1950

http://www.sir-lyngbjerg.dk/images/Areal/kort%20over%20arealer.JPG
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:58 pm
@Ticomaya,
Yeah well the exact opposite of THAT in my experience.

Some categories of bad drivers (general):

- Young guy in a bad old car, listening to loud music, going too fast and changing lanes randomly without using a signal

- Older guy in a giant truck, takes umbrage quickly and drives aggressively (two of these guys had a pissing contest with each other ahead of me on the freeway recently)

- VERY OLD guy or gal in a giant Caddy going 25 miles below the speed limit, prone to sudden and unpredictable moves (as in "dammit that was my exit!!" <careeeen>)

- Soccer mom in a giant SUV/truck/van in a hurry, drinking Starbucks and talking on the phone, expecting traffic to part in front of her because she's in a hurry and has a giant vehicle so geez get out of the way already

That's regular weekday driving. Weekend nights feature a bunch of drunk and aggressive people of both sexes, but I think men have the edge.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 02:08 pm
@Ticomaya,
Very cool !
But I should added at the end:
Answer: Yes.
Q: What are you, an idiot???

Joe(Objection! Withdrawn! Or I should say Already answered.)Nation
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 10:54 pm
Admission: Haven't read all of the preceding posts. If this is repetitive, I apologize for my laziness.

It's pretty damned clear that someone is not as good a driver when talking on the phone as when they are not.

How significant the difference may be subject to debate, but I have seen studies that suggest that talking on the phone while driving is essentially the same as driving while slightly drunk.

I have also seen hundreds if not thousands of people driving in dangerous ways while they were talking on a phone. When someone does something stupid and dangerous on the road I'm travelling, at least 80% of the time that person has a cellphone plastered against their ear.

This is not the same issue as mandating seatbelt usage.

If I don't wear a seatbelt and I get in an accident, my failure to wear the seatbelt will not result in injuries or greater injuries to to other parties.

If I'm on a cellphone while driving (or worse, texting) and it leads to an accident, I might very well be responsible for other people's injuries or deaths.

If I want to drink myself into oblivion and eventually kill myself, the government should not be able to stop me. If I want to drink myself into oblivion and then get behind the wheel of a car and present a danger to other citizens, the government should be able to stop me.

The same thing goes for cell phone usage and texting.

It's not an issue of individual liberty.