America Moves to Criminalize Cell Phones While Driving

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 07:38 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I don't even think you know the meaning of 'quality of life', all things considered, so I'm not going to worry about it overmuch.

You will take a different tone if significant numbers of people agree with me.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 07:45 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
Well then I am all for these laws to keep your idiot acquaintances from killing someone. Really, we lived for years not attached to our phones. I don't think there are many phone calls so important that they can't be returned shortly. The problem is everyone thinks they are so personally important that every call needs their immediate attention. I say again- laws are created for people who are too stupid to do the right thing.

I agree. We managed without cell phones before, and we can manage not to use them now when driving. There is nothing that cannot wait until you can pull over to the side of the road and stop.
I never take or make a call while driving. I have no objection to the law.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 07:48 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
I have no objection to the law

Nor as always any objection to how these authoritarian laws are crammed down our throats, you being no fan of freedom or democracy.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 07:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
That makes your life sound kinda pathetic.

<shrug>

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 07:49 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

<shrug>

And your opinion of such matters when you dont even know me is supposed to be something that I care about?? Drunk
msolga

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 07:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Not allowing me contact with the world though my mobile device as I drive significantly and in my opinion with-out justification lowers my quality of life.... yes.

Then why not pull off the road & take the call, if it's so important to you to respond the instant a persons rings you?
Or why not respond to the call when you reach your destination?
Would doing either of those significantly lower the quality of your life (or the lives of other cell phone users) while making the roads safer for heaps of other people at the same time?
I use a cell phone & it's never bothered me in the least to wait a few minutes to respond to a call ..... it's not as though the caller will vanish from the face of the earth before I respond.
-
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:09 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Then why not pull off the road & take the call, if it's so important to you to respond the instant a persons rings you?
Or why not respond to the call when you reach your destination?

It does appear that I will be forced to take one of these lower quality options or face making myself a criminal.....that I will not have a choice in the matter because I live in a country that patterns its policies on the utopian dreams of the police state advocates. .
thack45

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:15 pm
@Ceili,
There are some who have a sense of entitlement to anything just because - and just as soon as - it's become available to be had.

Hawk's calling BS reminded me of one of my favorite bits...

The whole thing seems like a red herring. Why would I even worry about people using cells while they drive when no one is doing a thing about people who can't drive while not using a phone?
msolga

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes, but .....
It's about the safety of others on the roads compared to the convenience of responding instantly to a phone call .... say nothing of texting while driving .....
It's interesting to me that you'd (& so many others, apparently) would need to be "forced" to act in a way that makes road travel safer for other people.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:19 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
There are some who have a sense of entitlement to anything just because

It is my individual right unless the state has a very good reason to take it away. The state in my opinion does not have a good reason to take away my right to talk on the mobile while driving.

You seem to think that my rights are gifted to me by the state, my rights belong to me always, to include my right to be free from government micro-managing and coercion.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:20 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
It's interesting to me that you'd (& so many others, apparently) would need to be "forced"
The state has of yet not shown cause to force me, it has only come with an assertion and the will to force me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
It is my individual right unless the state has a very goo reason to take it away.

Deaths & injuries (say nothing of damage to vehicles) which can be attributed to cell phone use while driving are not good enough reasons for you?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:27 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Deaths & injuries (say nothing of damage to vehicles) which can be attributed to cell phone use while driving are not good enough reasons for you?

It all depends upon how many Deaths and Injuries.....as I have said already in this thread I Dont think that the government has either sound enough numbers nor high enough numbers to win its case.

"if it saves just one life" is the motto of damn fools.
thack45

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

It is my individual right unless the state has a very good reason to take it away. The state in my opinion does not have a good reason to take away my right to talk on the mobile while driving.

You seem to think that my rights are gifted to me by the state, my rights belong to me always, to include my right to be free from government micro-managing and coercion.

The technology that is the modern cell phone was certainly not "gifted" to you by the state. Neither was your car. But do you feel you have rights to do whatever you want with them regardless of how it may impact the safety of others?

BTW... did you like the clip?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

<shrug>

And your opinion of such matters when you dont even know me is supposed to be something that I care about?? Drunk

you're the one who describes your life here. you're the one who controls what we know about you and your life.

you're the one who makes it sound ... pathetic.
msolga

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
So how many deaths & injuries do you believe would be sufficient for you to accept the inconvenience of responding a cell phone call a bit later or to refrain from texting while driving?

(this is incredible!)
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:36 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
But do you feel you have rights to do whatever you want with them regardless of how it may impact the safety of others?

Obviously not, as I have said that the state could in theory have just cause to criminalize talking on the cell phone while driving. My position is that the state has not made its case, it does not have the evidence that rewriting the criminal code this way is justified. If it does so anyway then it is an immoral oppressor of the citizens.

There is something call proportion which the US Government consistently demonstrates that it does not understand, or more likely chooses to act like it does not understand as it continues to grab for more power.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:38 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

you're the one who describes your life here. you're the one who controls what we know about you and your life.

you're the one who makes it sound ... pathetic.

Whoop De Doo! *sarcasm*
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:43 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

So how many deaths & injuries do you believe would be sufficient for you to accept the inconvenience of responding a cell phone call a bit later or to refrain from texting while driving?

(this is incredible!)

IDK, but in 2009 34,000 died on the road....if only 3,000 of them were somehow related to mobile phone use then I dont see much of a problem with mobile phone use, certainly not enough to make criminals out of any of the 300 million plus citizens of America if they choose to use them while driving.
msolga

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 09:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
My last word on this: If I could support around 3, 000 lives being spared annually simply by not using my cell phone in my car & other not using them either ..... I would have absolutely no problem about any infringement of my "rights".
0 Replies