Does it feel like Christmas to you?

thack45

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:23 pm
@Mame,
Have you listened to the christmas shoes song yet?

gets me in the mood every year
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:33 pm
@Mame,
Yes, it does. I've had many types of christmas experiences -
New York City, Macy's toy department when I was eight; midnight mass in the Chicago area, seeing neighbors' celebrations and enjoying our own small but good time; strange ones when I was a teen sans many friends when we first moved from Chicago; connecting more to friends than family in my uni years; losing my religion (think that's a song) in my twenties, but connecting more with family; tense romantic holiday seasons when I said wouldn't marry the guy; decades of married christmases (different guy) that involved driving all over creation to our families places and collapsing later to have great time with friends at our house, usually a day or two after the family scenes; divorced christmases that were still good, especially when we had the gallery; lonelier lately, but I still hear from family, old pals and colleagues.
I just got Neil's ink drawing "card" again. Well, not exactly again; he draws a new plant each year.. this time, an expanse of rhododendron.

I've resorted to just emailing good wishes, but those are individual letters.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:37 pm
@roger,
It has been treated since it began. It hasn't helped the pain. Problem is, nobody can say how long that will last. <sigh>

So you've been through this too? (Pleasepleaseplease don't use phrases like "next time." This is depressing enough already.)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:41 pm
@Eva,
Eva, I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
Eva

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 08:58 am
@ossobuco,
Me too, Osso. Thanks. I'll stop hijacking this thread now.

I rarely have all my stuff done for Christmas until a couple of days beforehand. Probably because I want to do so much. Here's a good example: I could have had all my cards addressed and most gifts bought and wrapped, but I just spent the entire weekend making 28 dozen assorted chocolates instead. Took every bit of my energy. (The chocolates are gifts though, so it counts.)

Why do I do this? Because the preparations are what make it feel like Christmas to me. I'm always a little let down when everything is finished. Maybe that's why you're feeling this way, Mame?

If so, come on down! I still have plenty left to do!
Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 10:17 am
@Irishk,
And carrots for the reindeer...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 10:19 am
@thack45,
Haven't heard it this year yet - but I agree it one that tugs at the heart strings.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 10:44 am
I do not know if this would make me feel like Christmas.
A Danish family, who has 65 large boxes with "Nisser" as Danish form of Santa Claus.
3000 to put up......plus other things. The 6t of January all is packed away.
http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/729/4/800x600-u/4729737-hus-p-girsvej-har-nisser--.jpg
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 07:03 am
It sure feels like it now, just saw my Amex bill online.
Mame

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 11:47 am
@Eva,
I don't know... I think it's because the malls are empty, no carols are playing (even though I can't stand them, they ARE Christmassy), and my granddaughters are back East.

I made some great Cranberry Cake Squares which my sister sent the recipe for - delish. Going to hand them out at the Seniors' Centre. Served a Christmas luncheon at another Seniors' Centre - maybe I'll check out a food bank or something to volunteer at. Probably a bit late for that, but that might help me get in the mood.

I have to make a dessert for the family Christmas dinner - any ideas?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:16 pm
@Mame,
I passed over this thread several times since it was originally published as I really don't just want to answer with just "nope."

Walking to the Mid-Manhattan library this Saturday evening, I felt a glimmer of Christmasness with the perfect slight chill in the air, the bustling of pedestrians, and the lights but it scampered away as soon as I found myself in the densest of crowds I have ever remembered experienced being here in NYC for about 10 years. Don't know why that one block of 5th Avenue and 40th-ish St was so damned packed but it took me by surprise.

In the Grand scheme of things, my answer is still a dull "nope."
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:23 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

It sure feels like it now, just saw my Amex bill online.

Sing these verses with me everyone! [To the tune of "Do They Know It's Christmas Time"]

Quote:

Here's to you
Swipe your credit card for every gift buy
Give the bankers
A larger slice of profit pie

Do they know it's christmas time at all?

Feed the banks
Feed the banks
Feed the banks
Let them know it's christmas time and
Feed the banks
Let them know it's christmas time
failures art

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 01:59 pm
Personally, I'm not satisfied unless I'm waging war at the front lines of the war on Christmas. In that regard, it just doesn't feel like the season.

A
R
T
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 05:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
After this month I just may have to cut the card up Confused
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 02:17 pm
@Mame,
Baked Fudge is a sure winner here. With real whipped cream on the side, of course. Nobody can resist it.
Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 02:29 pm
@Eva,
I just got back my yankee swap gift - well looks like it is very merry to re-gift (as I geared the gift for a young single audience - I'm too old for it).
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 02:31 pm
@Eva,
mmmmmmmm..... can I come over?

Turns out Alex is making the dessert - Chocolate Trifle with amaretto and whipped cream.
Eva

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 12:05 am
@Mame,
Yes, you may come over...if you bring the trifle! Wink
0 Replies