What do we do with Iraq?

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 11:47 pm
The Iraq war is over. It has evolved into a tense and sometimes violent occupation. What next?

I think the terrorists and the radical muslim extremists are just a couple of tools that Saudi Arabia's money men use against us under the table to make the oil deals a little sweeter. And as long as we need the oil, we need the Arab nations. So we are probably stuck with them for a long time.

Which is where Iraq comes in.

At this point, what the United States needs to do is somehow gain a foothold in the Arab world. Iraq is a possible path to that foothold. If the United States' war with Iraq turns out one day to tip the scales in our favor in some strategic way, isn't it worth it to keep our troops there? If it is possible to get another democracy in that part of the world, wouldn't that be a good thing?

From what I've seen, it looks like Bush's plan to pull the troops out in June looks like a bad move. I think we should keep troops there for awhile, to keep things as stable as possible, get them started with as strong a democratic foundation as possible, and use some political and monetary muscle to make sure they become allies.

By the way, please don't turn this into a "Bush lied about the war!" bitch session. I've already done that to death.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,047 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 12:06 am
How is it a democracy if occupying troops stay there?
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 01:29 am
Kicky has a valid point.

Regardless of how we feel about the justification that brought us there (I opposed it), NOW we are stuck there, and their problems have become our problems.

If we pull the troops out, religious extremists will most likely fill the vacuum of power, and use the strong anti-american sentiment to develop a following that could lead to who-knows-what.

In the interests of our country and the supposed "democracy" that we want to give them, we just have to manipulate the political system there. Its an unfortunate choice to have to make, but if thats what we want, thats what we gotta do.

As for troops, they simply have to stay there for a looooong time (at leaset until the UN or other nations can fill our shoes). While it can be said that we are occupying that nation, they are providing some semblance of order. In fact, to cut down on all these attacks on the troops, we just may need more soldiers there. A LOT more soldiers. No way are 150,000 troops going to keep order in a nation of that size.

Regardless of whatever choice we make now, both the United States AND Iraq are f*cked. We kicked the hornets nest and we'll be feeling the stings for generations to come. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

chaossoldiermsc

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 08:15 am
okay, firstly i ain't American. Secondly, i think that it isn't possible to just leave the country with a nice democracy as a foothold. i agree with heywood while still puzzling bout what u guys can do
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 05:12 pm
Pipedream
"If it is possible to get another democracy in that part of the world, wouldn't that be a good thing?"

The USA is not a democracy. It is a Plutocracy.

To think that Iraq will become a Democracy is plain out delusional.

Iraq will split into three territories. The USA now controlled by Neo Fascists couldn't care less about any country being a Democracy. That has been demonstrated many times in history.
Evidence: Chile, Hondoros, Nicaraqua, Philipines, etc. The list is long. Countries that are brutal dictatorships are still being supported with money, training and troops by the US Govt. Study history and current occupation of the USA of countries.

The Neo Fascists have laid out their plan for Global Domination on their PNAC site. Go read it.

Iraq is just another colony for USA business interests. Next: Pakistan, Syria, Iran, N. Korea.

Perpetual war is good for business.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 05:21 pm
Okay, okay! Calm down there Pistoff! I was only asking for opinions on what the U.S. should do strategically.

I am not going to respond to your predictions. Everything you said may or may not be true.

My question to you is:

What would YOU do with Iraq?
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 07:39 pm
ok.

I would withdraw our (US) troops and turn over the "occupation" to the U.N. (We could send some troops under U.N. supervision) Once we are out, there will be no "western infidels" for the insurgents to scapegoat, and the Iraqi people will have a clear choice between moderate or fundamentalist rule. It is, however, their choice.

(And, BTW, it's their oil.)

0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 07:49 pm
Wilso wrote:
How is it a democracy if occupying troops stay there?

That's a question your should pose to Walter Hintler. I think he'd argue that Germany has been a democracy for the last 40 or 50 years without to many problems.
0 Replies

Aressler

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:45 pm
Let them build on there own, ussually when our goverment trys to help they just end up screwing everything up.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:02 pm
Neo Fascists
If the Neo Fascist get another term they will never pull out of Iraq. In fact they are planning on having the largest Embassy there than they have in any other country. It doesn't matter to them what sort of Govt. Iraq has as long as they can control the economy. They have illegal plans for privatization right now.

Were I in charge I would pull out the American troops if an agreement with NATO forces could be reached and the peace keeping forces and personnel that have experience with elections of the UN could perhaps supervise actual fair elelctions. That is most likely a highly risky situation. That would not stop the insurgency though because the point is no western domination and a stake of the Sunnis in the power block of Iraq.

There is not clear cut solution now because the regime there has been toppled and the people at low level and mid level governing functions have been frozen out. Whether those people can be restored to former postitions is no a knowable situation.

Iraqis do not want to be a colony of the US or the Western powers. They were liberated but the US and Britain still refuse to allow them autonomy of their own land.
0 Replies

chaossoldiermsc

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:01 am
what would happen if they were liberated? most likely same thing that you tried to get rid of so bad
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 07:44 am
Re: What do we do with Iraq?
kickycan wrote:
From what I've seen, it looks like Bush's plan to pull the troops out in June looks like a bad move.

There are no plans to "pull the troops out in June."

Some are scheduled to rotate back to the states -- and probably present plans call for a smaller force over there -- but from what I have read, we are committed to troops there for several years.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 07:51 am
Ditto for what angie said.

US out replaced by a truly international peacekeeping force.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 08:24 am
It's my understanding that all that is planned for June was the transition of governence from the US administration in Iraq to a local government. Our troop sizes were not going to be decreased dramatically at all as there will continue to be unrest in the region.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 08:34 am
Wow -- McG and I agree.

All right!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 10:57 am
"What do we do with Iraq?"
Sell it to the highest bidder? Sad
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 11:18 am
Frank and McG, I'm sorry, I must have got it wrong. See what happens when you only read the headlines? Smile
0 Replies