If you are afraid of non-existence, why is this so?

George

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 10:02 pm
@JLNobody,
One who believes in an afterlife may still conceive an idea of non-existence.
0 Replies

Procrustes

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 10:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
In that context, the label we put on such a creature (caterpillar) does not die when it changes into it's next phase in life (butterfly). It's life is non-existant when the butterfy dies, or equally, the caterpillars life is non-existant if it happens to die before metamorphisis. But it depends on what you mean when you say 'does not exist'. I feel this may end up like the 'does nothing exist' thread.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 10:11 pm
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:
In that context, the label we put on such a creature (caterpillar) does not die
when it changes into it's next phase in life (butterfly). It's life is non-existant when the butterfy dies,
Y do u believe that he or she dies ?
Procrustes

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 10:17 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't, it's just a word to describe the state of a body.
Eorl

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:41 am
@Procrustes,
I think believing in an afterlife seriously devalues life. Especially if an afterlife is infinitely long. It makes life infinitely close to nothing by comparison. Nice to wish for, but a childish fantasy.
Eorl

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:43 am
@dlowan,
oh I know, I won't be able to give a damn, then.

But now it matters, big time.
dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:47 am
@Eorl,
I never saw you as a Hobbit man.
Eorl

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:57 am
@dlowan,
Oh sure. Fan as an early teen. Was highly skeptical the films would be worth the effort. Very wrong!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 01:38 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

You don't consider the idea of non-existence and the idea of death to be (at least roughly) synonymous?

No, not necessarily.

More to the point though I was suggesting that the abstract concept of non-existence is in my experience a good deal more palatable to most people than the real, palpable prospect of their death.
Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 02:50 am
One thing which could frighten me right now is the idea of non-existence without death. I'd rather be dead than to be alive and to "not be there."
Procrustes

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 05:27 am
@Eorl,
I didn't say that I believe in an afterlife. I just don't know where 'you' go after death.
Eorl

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 06:09 am
@Procrustes,
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest anything about your post. I should have used the reply-all button.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 09:17 am
@georgeob1,
JLNobody wrote:
You don't consider the idea of non-existence and the idea of death to be (at least roughly) synonymous?
georgeob1 wrote:
No, not necessarily.

More to the point though I was suggesting that the abstract concept of non-existence is in my experience a good deal more palatable to most people than the real, palpable prospect of their death.
Do u have in mind the deaths of their human bodies??
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 03:44 pm
@Setanta,
Set, I know I don't have to repeat this again to you, but here goes: I am biologically and biographically alive, but "I" am also non-existent in the Buddhist sense of anatman (no-self or no-agent-of-existence). (and, of course--as I see it--so are you)
0 Replies