Bush!

SqUeAkz

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:23 pm
I dont understand this following situation:

One of the presidents I cant think of what one at that moment, out-lawed prayer in public schools, the reason he said : "It seprates politices from religon." Yet why on the dollar bill does it say "In GOD we Trust?" Give me your opinion
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 997 • Replies: 15
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:42 pm
It should be changed as shopuld our countries motto.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 08:37 pm
Quote:
In 1955, Congress passed a law requiring that "In God We Trust" appear on all U.S. coins and currency. The first paper currency with the motto appeared in 1957. This was right after the McCarthy era, during the early Cold War, when no congressperson would dare be seen voting against "God." "In God We Trust" did appear occasionally on a few coins, starting with a 2-cent piece in the 1860s, in an attempt (it is surmised) to put "God" on the side of the north during the Civil War. In 1956, an Act of Congress adopted "In God We Trust" as a national motto. The original motto, "E Pluribus Unum" ("out of many, [come] one,") celebrating plurality, still appears on the Presidential Seal and on some paper currency.

It's the same reason why we say "under god" in the pledge of allegiance, the original never even referred to god. Which hunts really scare those aristocrats.

And it was Thomas Jefferson who put forth the idea when he stated that there would be a "wall of separation between church and state." After all, our country is founded on the premise that the country would be ruled by "We, the People," not a god, king, or dictator.

Source
Typo Edit
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:09 pm
Prayer is generally religion specific, where as god is for everybody, providing you believe or not.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:15 pm
There is no getting full church/state separation, because of the emotion involved. All we can do is minimize such things.
0 Replies

SqUeAkz

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:07 pm
Bush!
That is very true. Did you also notice in Bush's State of the Union speech he didn't talk at all about money, economics tax-cuts or anything even close to that? He skimmed over the stuff our posterity hear every day. Gosh I want that moron to get out of office.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 11:13 pm
As does most of the rest of the world.
0 Replies

Aressler

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:43 pm
He sure did seem to want to get the steroids out of sports though. Taxes are just a little to complicated for him at this stage of his presidency. He seems to be taking one small baby step after another.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:38 pm
That's because he's got one small baby mind!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:56 pm
Ceili wrote:
Prayer is generally religion specific, where as god is for everybody, providing you believe or not.

I disagree. Prayer from the heart or even from specific texts, such as the Psalms, isn't religion-specific. Smile
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:59 pm
Re: Bush!
SqUeAkz wrote:
That is very true. Did you also notice in Bush's State of the Union speech he didn't talk at all about money, economics tax-cuts or anything even close to that? He skimmed over the stuff our posterity hear every day. Gosh I want that moron to get out of office.

And then what? Do you really want to see an increase in your taxes? Would you like to see a 45% tax? Would you like to see your dividends, interest, etc from investments taxed at 30%+? Embarrassed

Not me!
0 Replies

SqUeAkz

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 04:59 pm
Well if he doesn't get out of office in 2004 then in 2008 we will have to pay double or triple the money we will have to pay already, do to the growing deficit. Can you imagine that? Then we might not be able to pay bills, or maybe even not be able to own your own home. I would rather pay 45%tax rates then 90%.
0 Replies

unknown man

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 09:03 pm
Hey, it all depends on how old you are, doesn't it?
The true payers are going to be good old generation X, (or generation debt, whatever works.)
So we don't have to worry....
...wait a minute, I'm classified as an "X", ah crap.
0 Replies

SqUeAkz

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 09:10 pm
yea but isn't like half the population generation x?
0 Replies

unknown man

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 09:12 pm
Hey, good point, I mean, so much dept, and what is the estimate?
Somewhere I remember seeing ( bushin30seconds.com) that every child in America is already nearly 1000 dollars in debt.
I dont remember the exact figures but.... you get my drift.
0 Replies

SqUeAkz

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 09:15 pm
YAY i prove yet another point of why the idiot shouldnt be in office
0 Replies