Do you agree with Obama's decision to start killing more people? Then why do you support him?

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 11:08 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Maybe the supposition is that ground troops are likely to be more discriminating, but if that's the proposition, it seems somewhat doubtful to me.

I have advocated boots on the ground instead of the less discriminate air power in past situations but this is not one of those cases. If these people are going to be killed, I would prefer the current methods of using drones. I just don't see ground incursions in that area resulting in fewer lives lost.

That could have been argued in early 2009 when the CIA was killing a greater ratio of civilians with their drone strikes but at the end of 2009 the CIA responded to the outrage from the collateral damage of the increased attacks (2009 was the biggest year of drone killings) by switching to smaller 35-pound missiles that have been about as discerning as I would imagine ground troops would be (and in any case, American ground troops operate with a lot of air cover in pretty much any situation these days). This is much cleaner than American ground warfare and even previous air campaigns (no need to address any air defenses).

I have virtually no complaints about American military tactics these days, only with American military strategy.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 11:58 am
One thing I don't think many people in this thread understand is that the overwhelming majority of the people we kill are just insurgents to our own incursion.

Even if you take the most generous estimates of Al Qaeda manpower we'd have killed Al Qaeda off many times over if they represented just 10% of the people we killed.

You can just use basic math to realize that the overwhelming majority (well over 90%) of the people we are killing there are simply fighting our invasion and were not trying to kill us in the first place.

I think there seems to be a perception that the CIA is bombing a bunch of terrorists plotting to attack America when in reality they are killing members of an insurgency against our invasion.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 02:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
"Don’t judge me against the Almighty, judge me against the alternative.”

-Barack Obama
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 11:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I agree with your math, but I think you're crossing your events in a few ways. You're right that most are not Al Qaeda, but rather people resisting invasion. However, the use of bombs (drones) and the use of soldiers are not the same.

For instance:
Quote:
I think there seems to be a perception that the CIA is bombing a bunch of terrorists plotting to attack America when in reality they are killing members of an insurgency against our invasion.

While I don't give the public a lot of credit on their attention to detail where American Idols are not involved, I also don't think this is the perception. That kind of perception is certainly one, I've heard, but I'd not credit it as the most common/majority. Additionally, I think that in terms of perception, your use of "in reality" asserts your perception to be greater somehow. What knowledge of drone bombings do you have to support this? Specifically.

I myself often can be cynical about our use of force and what motives drive it, but this may be overkill. The truth is somewhere else. Every time a Predator drone fires a hellfire missile, it would be untrue to believe either:

1) It hit a bunch of exclusive group of organized Al Qaeda agents coordinating a complex and ingenuousness new way to kill god fearing Americans.

2) Every group hit is a wedding party with some guest orphans.

Let's say there is a small group that has nothing to do with Al Qaeda. Hell, maybe they even hate Al Qaeda, but right now the USA is their most immediate problem. They decide to use the only effective means of asymmetrical warfare: Roadside IEDs.

Now, you work for CENTCOM, and you learn of where this group is. Does it matter if they are Al Qaeda? No. In fact, even if you knew they weren't, if they are carrying out attacks, you're not going to brush the crumbs off your lap and say "well, that's fair." You're going to pass that information on to whoever, and they are probably going to target the area. You, Robert Gentel, if you were in that chair, would do the same thing. If you think otherwise, I'd be very interested in what obstacles you'd have to move to not.

A
R
T
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 12:56 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
I agree with your math, but I think you're crossing your events in a few ways.

Even after reading your post multiple times your point entirely eludes me. Perhaps you could point it out.

Quote:
You're right that most are not Al Qaeda, but rather people resisting invasion. However, the use of bombs (drones) and the use of soldiers are not the same.

It's probably a good thing that I never made that argument then, and have no idea what your point is.

Quote:
Additionally, I think that in terms of perception, your use of "in reality" asserts your perception to be greater somehow. What knowledge of drone bombings do you have to support this? Specifically.

What are you on about? Specifically.

Quote:
I myself often can be cynical about our use of force and what motives drive it, but this may be overkill. The truth is somewhere else. Every time a Predator drone fires a hellfire missile, it would be untrue to believe either:

1) It hit a bunch of exclusive group of organized Al Qaeda agents coordinating a complex and ingenuousness new way to kill god fearing Americans.

2) Every group hit is a wedding party with some guest orphans.

Do you have a point to any of this? Nobody said anything about weddings or orphans.

Quote:
Now, you work for CENTCOM, and you learn of where this group is. Does it matter if they are Al Qaeda? No. In fact, even if you knew they weren't, if they are carrying out attacks, you're not going to brush the crumbs off your lap and say "well, that's fair." You're going to pass that information on to whoever, and they are probably going to target the area. You, Robert Gentel, if you were in that chair, would do the same thing. If you think otherwise, I'd be very interested in what obstacles you'd have to move to not.

I really have no idea what you are grasping for here. If I had the job to of fighting these insurgents (i.e. to kill these people) in your hypothetical scenario I suppose that is what I would have to do in your hypothetical scenario. But what on earth that has to do with my criticism of Obama's strategic decision to kill more insurgents instead of extricating ourselves I have no idea about. Could you point what on earth your point is here? I can't escape the feeling that you have no idea what mine is either so let me know if that needs any clarifying.
failures art

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 09:37 am
@Robert Gentel,
What I'm getting at is that your post seems to employ the "in reality" mindset that suggests you believe you hold the authority to correct others on what they perceive.

So when you start talking about what the American perception is on these attacks, you are addressing an argument not being made here. My choice of two extremes in parody (methodical terrorists versus orphans at a wedding party) are alternatives to your perception. The point of the CENTCOM thought experiment is to point out that these actions don't rely on the perception that all victims of these attacks are terrorists (as you suggested Americans believe).

I believe you're advancing the idea that drone strikes are a part of a larger suppression method by the CIA. Such an idea then removes any sort of real consideration on the circumstances of the strike.

Better I think to discuss specific strikes, and discuss the legitimacy of them specifically, along with the human cost. What we have right now in this thread is a blanket discussion on if a method should be used at all, which restricts the discussion in many ways.

I asked if you have specifics on strikes. Do you have anything to support your idea that it's "in reality" more about suppressing local insurgents? Is this view restricted to countries we are occupying?

Here's my objection to your argument: You are tailoring the use and purpose of drone strikes to your rejection of them.

There's plenty of reasons to object to the use of drones, or to support the restricted use of them to specific mission theaters. I think that is a useful discussion on the use of force.

The rest I pretty much agree with. Our presence provokes, and leaving is the right thing to do above all other things.

A
R
T
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 10:36 am
@Robert Gentel,
All for killing those who plot to do more mass murders on our soil no matter what their citizenship happen to be.

The more the better go Obama.........................

Footnote somehow it those poor people plotting mass murders in the US was instead plotting to kill thousands at a time in Costa Rica perhaps Robert would not be asking that question. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 10:40 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
What I'm getting at is that your post seems to employ the "in reality" mindset that suggests you believe you hold the authority to correct others on what they perceive.

What are you on about? I claim no special authority.

Quote:
So when you start talking about what the American perception is on these attacks, you are addressing an argument not being made here.

Nonsense. The argument was made here that we are acting in self-defense against. Just because you aren't keeping up doesn't mean it isn't there.

Quote:
My choice of two extremes in parody (methodical terrorists versus orphans at a wedding party) are alternatives to your perception.

You can't demonstrate a basic understanding of what my position is, why do you think you can provide "alternatives to [my] perception" whatever the hell that vague statement is supposed to mean.

Quote:
The point of the CENTCOM thought experiment is to point out that these actions don't rely on the perception that all victims of these attacks are terrorists (as you suggested Americans believe).

Your explanation doesn't make your post any less pointless. I have made clear that I am not objecting to American tactics but American military strategy.

What CENTCOM might do in a tactical situation has nothing whatsoever to do with the validity of the strategy being employed. Namely to persist in the war in Afghanistan. This is an utterly pointless point you are making.

Quote:
I believe you're advancing the idea that drone strikes are a part of a larger suppression method by the CIA.

I believe that my point is perfectly clear to anyone with basic reading comprehension. Why don't you just read it again instead of grasping at such odd straws.

Quote:
Such an idea then removes any sort of real consideration on the circumstances of the strike.

Huh? What are you on about?

Quote:
Better I think to discuss specific strikes, and discuss the legitimacy of them specifically, along with the human cost.

Huh? What are you on about?

Quote:
What we have right now in this thread is a blanket discussion on if a method should be used at all, which restricts the discussion in many ways.

Nonsense. Perhaps you should read the thread again. It has nothing to do with a blanket discussion about a "method".

Your inability to follow along with and comprehend this discussion is annoying.

Quote:
I asked if you have specifics on strikes.

Yeah, you asked for vague "specifics" but didn't make enough sense to indicate what you are talking about.

Quote:
Do you have anything to support your idea that it's "in reality" more about suppressing local insurgents?

Yes, and I posted it. Why don't you go there and read it again instead of having me type it all over again.

Quote:
Is this view restricted to countries we are occupying?

No. And this question makes no sense.

Quote:
Here's my objection to your argument: You are tailoring the use and purpose of drone strikes to your rejection of them.

Nonsense. That is not at all the basis of my objection and I wish you would demonstrate the capacity for basic reading comprehension here.

Quote:
There's plenty of reasons to object to the use of drones, or to support the restricted use of them to specific mission theaters. I think that is a useful discussion on the use of force.

My position has nothing to do with what particular way these people are being killed. If you can't understand that I don't see how we can possibly have an edifying conversation.

Please try to figure out what I am actually arguing, I lack the patience to spell it out for you.

Quote:
The rest I pretty much agree with. Our presence provokes, and leaving is the right thing to do above all other things.

That happens to be what the topic is actually about (as opposed to what your bouts of reading incomprehension have led you to believe).
failures art

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 10:46 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

failures art wrote:

What are you on about? I claim no special authority.

Here, I'll make it simple, drop the "in reality" schtick. Otherwise you are claiming special authority.

A
R
That's what I'm on about
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 10:51 am
@failures art,
I see. You basically interpret my use of the words "in reality" as being condescending, and have nothing of greater edification to offer to the discussion.

Thanks for contributing. I will give your recommendation for me to not use the words "in reality" all the consideration it is due.
failures art

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 10:55 am
@Robert Gentel,
Your consideration is a coveted prize. Much like moral indignation from a safe moral distance.

A
R
T
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 11:43 am
@failures art,
Time is precious. You have to pick your spots. I once thought I could consider all. In reality, I could not and must judiciously consider considering things that I come across.

If you would like a better explaination of why I am being dismissive to you it is because your argument is a poor one. If you would like a better explanation of why it is so, I will refer you to Paul Graham's essay How to Disagree.

Quote:
DH2. Responding to Tone.

The next level up we start to see responses to the writing, rather than the writer. The lowest form of these is to disagree with the author's tone. E.g.
I can't believe the author dismisses intelligent design in such a cavalier fashion.
Though better than attacking the author, this is still a weak form of disagreement. It matters much more whether the author is wrong or right than what his tone is. Especially since tone is so hard to judge. Someone who has a chip on their shoulder about some topic might be offended by a tone that to other readers seemed neutral.

So if the worst thing you can say about something is to criticize its tone, you're not saying much. Is the author flippant, but correct? Better that than grave and wrong. And if the author is incorrect somewhere, say where.

If all you have to say to me is that I have an arrogant tone you are not saying much. If you have more substantial disagreements with what I am actually arguing then I would pay more attention.
failures art

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 12:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I've not commented on your "tone," but to the accuracy of your claim for which you authoritatively assert via "in reality." I specifically called for you to support your claim, but your response was:

Quote:

I doubt you view this as addressing my writing style or tone. I'm not concerned. I'm still more interested in your statement.

I think it's far too easy to summarize the American mentality toward the death toll as a git-er-dun shoot-em-up on terrorists. Since it's so easy to characterize public sentiment as such, it often goes unquestioned. I am challenging your assertion, so my apologies for asking that you support it better than telling me to get with the times and catch up. Further, the idea that the Taliban/Al Qaeda makes up less than 10% of the casualties is a value seems married to the idea that only people in that group are presenting a threat in these high interest areas. So yes, most are simply resisting our presence, but if they start employing methods like IEDs, it doesn't matter that they aren't Al Qaeda.

So no, I'm not concerned with your style. I'm concerned with your content. While I'm sure you believe you have an excellent argument, you don't pause to dissect my style, when you're put on the defensive. Perhaps you should consider Graham's advice yourself.

Certainly, we disagree. From what I can gather, your moral summation of military engagement is far more simple; closer to black and white. Mine is more complex/complicated. Perhaps, that grey area of nuance offends what you feel should be cut and dry. I don't believe any of this is easy, and so discussing this in terms of a yea-or-nea on supporting Obama seems to miss the larger issue. Speaking in absolutes is easy, and nuance summons contempt. I can deal with it.

A
R
T
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 12:32 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
I've not commented on your "tone," but to the accuracy of your claim for which you authoritatively assert via "in reality." I specifically called for you to support your claim, but your response was:

Quote:

Actually, I told you to read what I had already said about it instead of asking me to type it again.

The claim you asked me to substantiate was that "in reality" the overwhelming majority of the people we have killed in the region are not Al Qaeda terrorists but members of an insurgency against our regional incursion.

The substantiation I cited was a simple mathematical comparison between the most generous estimates of Al Qaeda terrorists in the region (a number that is often cited in the low hundreds) to the body count. We have killed orders of magnitude more people than there were Al Qaeda terrorists. This simple bit of arithmetic is what leads me to claim that the overwhelming majority of the people we killed in the region were insurgents fighting our incursion itself.

Quote:
I think it's far too easy to summarize the American mentality toward the death toll as a git-er-dun shoot-em-up on terrorists.

Then don't put those words in my mouth.

Quote:
Since it's so easy to characterize public sentiment as such, it often goes unquestioned.

You are the person who characterized it as such. Don't argue with me about your own straw men.

Quote:
I am challenging your assertion, so my apologies for asking that you support it better than telling me to get with the times and catch up.

What assertion? Like I said, you demonstrate no comprehension at all for my argument. You are just making general calls for me to substantiate general things.

Quote:
Further, the idea that the Taliban/Al Qaeda makes up less than 10% of the casualties....

Let's just stop right there. I did not make this claim. You are distorting the claim I did make (by including Taliban, who are insurgents to our invasion).

If you distort the claim I made in this way, it is much easier to argue against it but the intellectually honest thing to do is argue against what I actually said.

Quote:
So yes, most are simply resisting our presence, but if they start employing methods like IEDs, it doesn't matter that they aren't Al Qaeda.

It doesn't matter to the tactical commander, no. But it does matter to the strategic commander.

Do you understand what the difference is? Do you understand what it means when I said (before you showed up making straw men) "I have virtually no complaints about American military tactics these days, only with American military strategy"?

I have already told you that if you put me in the hypothetical shoes of a military commander in the battlefield that killing these people makes perfect sense. But this has no bearing on whether it makes sense for the military to be in that battlefield.

Quote:
So no, I'm not concerned with your style. I'm concerned with your content.

Then try to understand it better than you do.

Quote:
While I'm sure you believe you have an excellent argument, you don't pause to dissect my style, when you're put on the defensive. Perhaps you should consider Graham's advice yourself.

What are you, two? "I know you are but what am I"? You have no argument to rebut here. There's nothing to comment on but your vapid style. You've made no counterargument to anything I have argued, and pointing this out is entirely appropriate.

Quote:
Certainly, we disagree.

No, that is far from certain. You have not made a coherent point about which I can make such an assessment.

The only thing clear at this point is that you don't like my tone and I have no use for your inability to argue well.

Quote:
From what I can gather, your moral summation of military engagement is far more simple; closer to black and white.

Nonsense. I invariably reject such lack of nuance. You have no basis upon which to make this claim about me and merely prefer to imagine that you are a person of greater nuance (for obviously self-satisfying reasons). It's easier than actually addressing what I say to say that I am merely a person who likes reductionist moral clarity.

Quote:
Mine is more complex/complicated.

Then try to show how, instead of just making these vague pronouncements. It's certainly a great deal more confused and convoluted, I will give you that.

Quote:
Perhaps, that grey area of nuance offends what you feel should be cut and dry.

You can ramble on about vague "nuance" you claim I lack, or you can actually address what I say and try to point it out. One is more valuable than the other. You have regressed to the lower levels of Graham's hierarchy. Now you've gone from saying my tone was condescending to the notion that I am a person who lacks as much nuance as you are capable of. You do this with a perfect absence of any argument to support this, without any mention at all of what my position is and this is precisely the kind of reason why I say you argue poorly.

Quote:
I don't believe any of this is easy, and so discussing this in terms of a yea-or-nea on supporting Obama seems to miss the larger issue. Speaking in absolutes is easy, and nuance summons contempt. I can deal with it.

I have contempt for your lack of intellectual honesty, your problem isn't greater "nuance" but intellectually bankrupt arguments.

Why don't you try to actually argue against one of my expressed positions? You can go on and on about what you claim is lacking nuance, but what seems clear is that you can't tie this vague gainsay to anything I've actually said that you can express a concrete disagreement with.
failures art

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 01:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

failures art wrote:

Quote:

Actually, I told you to read what I had already said about it instead of asking me to type it again.

No, Robert. You did not. http://able2know.org/topic/181356-5#post-4823943

Robert Gentel wrote:

The claim you asked me to substantiate was that "in reality" the overwhelming majority of the people we have killed in the region are not Al Qaeda terrorists but members of an insurgency against our regional incursion.

I asked you where you got your read on the American perception, not where you got your math. I don't disagree with your math.

Robert Gentel wrote:

The substantiation I cited was a simple mathematical comparison between the most generous estimates of Al Qaeda terrorists in the region (a number that is often cited in the low hundreds) to the body count. We have killed orders of magnitude more people than there were Al Qaeda terrorists. This simple bit of arithmetic is what leads me to claim that the overwhelming majority of the people we killed in the region were insurgents fighting our incursion itself.

For which I haven't disagreed.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
I think it's far too easy to summarize the American mentality toward the death toll as a git-er-dun shoot-em-up on terrorists.

You're putting words in the mouth of; thoughts in the heads of Americans by asserting what the public perception is. Come off it.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
Since it's so easy to characterize public sentiment as such, it often goes unquestioned.

You are the person who characterized it as such. Don't argue with me about your own straw men.

You opened the jar on public perception. You argument against drones employed the strawman that American's perceived these attacks as hitting terrorists set on attacking the USA (Read: If they knew they weren't they'd believe as you do). That is a strawman: Attributing a mentality to a whole group that is easily rationally defeated rather than addressing a more scattered landscape of mentalities that is not so simple.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
I am challenging your assertion, so my apologies for asking that you support it better than telling me to get with the times and catch up.

What assertion? Like I said, you demonstrate no comprehension at all for my argument. You are just making general calls for me to substantiate general things.

No. I asked specifically for what I wanted.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
Further, the idea that the Taliban/Al Qaeda makes up less than 10% of the casualties....

Let's just stop right there. I did not make this claim. You are distorting the claim I did make (by including Taliban, who are insurgents to our invasion).

If you distort the claim I made in this way, it is much easier to argue against it but the intellectually honest thing to do is argue against what I actually said.

Here is what you said:
Robert Gentel wrote:
You can just use basic math to realize that the overwhelming majority (well over 90%) of the people we are killing there are simply fighting our invasion and were not trying to kill us in the first place.

You: 90% of the people we are killing aren't Taliban/AQ
Me: 10% of the deaths are the Taliban/AQ

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
So yes, most are simply resisting our presence, but if they start employing methods like IEDs, it doesn't matter that they aren't Al Qaeda.

It doesn't matter to the tactical commander, no. But it does matter to the strategic commander.

I'm not sure I agree. The tactical commander, we agree on, so we'll move on from that. The strategic commander has a much harder time. Let's say the SC wants to find the best road out of there. Is there a greater strategic fallout if they hit a group, or if they elect not to? What makes it easier to sell the case to come home? Moreover, can you describe a situation where not acting on intel of a threat would be strategically to the advantage? So if a TC says they know of 3 high interest areas, what is the case for the SC to say, don't fire. If one of those groups acts out a local attack, the political ramifications will make for a harder exit strategy don't you agree? Isn't that the exact rationale that is advanced by many hawks in congress to support that there is still a threat in these areas--that the threat is demonstrated by successful attacks?

Robert Gentel wrote:

Do you understand what the difference is? Do you understand what it means when I said (before you showed up making straw men) "I have virtually no complaints about American military tactics these days, only with American military strategy"?

Okay. Fair play. Tell me then, what would be a good strategy. Show some examples of other countries using such a strategy, and tell me why you think such a strategy would be applicable and could be adapted to our own military strategy.

On this matter, I'm very serious. This is what I think the real base of the discussion should be. If you'd like a jump off point, critique my own suggestions which I posted a few pages back:

http://able2know.org/topic/181356-3#post-4819868

Robert Gentel wrote:

I have already told you that if you put me in the hypothetical shoes of a military commander in the battlefield that killing these people makes perfect sense. But this has no bearing on whether it makes sense for the military to be in that battlefield.

If we're talking about active military theaters like Iraq or Afghanistan, it's too late, we're there. If we're talking about other areas like Pakistan, and Syria, I agree a question of jurisdiction exists.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the Abottabad raid. Keeping with our theme of strategy, the outcome does seem to validate the international trespass, but on the long term, I have other concerns I've already voiced.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:

Stop being so reflexive. I absolutely desire to understand your point. I have no desire to misrepresent you.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
While I'm sure you believe you have an excellent argument, you don't pause to dissect my style, when you're put on the defensive. Perhaps you should consider Graham's advice yourself.

What are you, two? "I know you are but what am I"? You have no argument to rebut here. There's nothing to comment on but your vapid style. You've made no counterargument to anything I have argued, and pointing this out is entirely appropriate.

Vapid? Would that be commentary on my tone or my style?

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
Certainly, we disagree.

No, that is far from certain. You have not made a coherent point about which I can make such an assessment.

You find my post incoherent? So do you think I don't have a point, or that it is not being communicated?

Robert Gentel wrote:

The only thing clear at this point is that you don't like my tone and I have no use for your inability to argue well.

Well, we can both make declarations on what is a well made argument, but that wouldn't get us very far. You've failed to convince me about what I've challenged you on, does that make your argument poor? I'm sure it more likely means that there is something wrong with me. You're dictating terms, and it seems more important to you, so have at it.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
From what I can gather, your moral summation of military engagement is far more simple; closer to black and white.

Nonsense. I invariably reject such lack of nuance. You have no basis upon which to make this claim about me and merely prefer to imagine that you are a person of greater nuance (for obviously self-satisfying reasons). It's easier than actually addressing what I say to say that I am merely a person who likes reductionist moral clarity.

Fair enough. I stand corrected. No harm in admitting that. If you say you don't believe as much, I'll take you at your word.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
Mine is more complex/complicated.

Then try to show how, instead of just making these vague pronouncements. It's certainly a great deal more confused and convoluted, I will give you that.

Confused? About what exactly?

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
Perhaps, that grey area of nuance offends what you feel should be cut and dry.

You can ramble on about vague "nuance" you claim I lack, or you can actually address what I say and try to point it out. One is more valuable than the other. You have regressed to the lower levels of Graham's hierarchy. Now you've gone from saying my tone was condescending to the notion that I am a person who lacks as much nuance as you are capable of. You do this with a perfect absence of any argument to support this, without any mention at all of what my position is and this is precisely the kind of reason why I say you argue poorly.

I've not said you were incapable of nuance. I didn't even state that I thought you held a moral binary (the most reductionist position one could have) philosophy.

I believe that whatever nuance you believe in, I view perhaps more nuance. You described this about me, and suggested it is for self-satisfying reasons. Given our dialogue, I still believe this, even if I mistakenly exaggerated the degree of simplicity you use.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
I don't believe any of this is easy, and so discussing this in terms of a yea-or-nea on supporting Obama seems to miss the larger issue. Speaking in absolutes is easy, and nuance summons contempt. I can deal with it.

I have contempt for your lack of intellectual honesty, your problem isn't greater "nuance" but intellectually bankrupt arguments.

Such as what?

Robert Gentel wrote:

Why don't you try to actually argue against one of my expressed positions? You can go on and on about what you claim is lacking nuance, but what seems clear is that you can't tie this vague gainsay to anything I've actually said that you can express a concrete disagreement with.

I've little of actual disagreement with you. I do however think you employed a rather poor argument using what you projected as American sentiment/perception. This is significant to me because when discussing the use of drones (but not exclusively), saying that 10% of the victims aren't terrorists implies that the other other 90% are not of legitimate concern. You seemingly acknowledged this problem via the Tactical Commander scenario. In a question of whether or not we agree with Obama's decision to use this method, and even use it more heavily, making such an point seems to suggest that 90% of our kills from drones have nothing to do with mission objectives because Taliban/AQ are the only threat we face. I think people understand that not all insurgents are Taliban/AQ, and the soldiers over there know this as well. I don't think the use of such weapons/tactics hinge on the composition% of Taliban/AQ persons in attacks.

A
R
T
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 03:33 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:

failures art wrote:

Quote:

No, Robert. You did not. http://able2know.org/topic/181356-5#post-4823943

And as soon as you let me know what you are on about I will answer that question. It made absolutely no sense to me (literally, I am not saying it's a poor argument I'm saying it is Greek to me).

Quote:
I asked you where you got your read on the American perception, not where you got your math. I don't disagree with your math.

From dozens of discussions with I have held with relatively well-informed Americans who had no idea that Obama dramatically increased the drone killings and from discussion with people like you in which there is clearly a case of information asymmetry (regardless of whether you smart at me saying so) and from its absence from the zeitgeist and vox populi.

Most people are just not as interested in following covert warfare and as interested in knowing the minutiae of such kind of tradecraft, and the US government itself has often refused to acknowledge events or even lied about them. In my experience few people, even among new hounds, follow it as closely and this leads me to believe that the general populace is far less informed about it than am I.

But whatever the case, this is still an entirely pointless line of questioning you pursue, that seeks to indict my elitist notions and does nothing at all to address anything of substance that I argue.

Yes, I think even people who are much more informed than the average (like yourself) tend to follow this much less closely and comparatively not really have any idea what is going on other than the vague notion that drones are being used in the regions. If your point is that I'm an arrogant know-it-all (or wannabe, if you will) then I'm guilty as charged but this has no real bearing on any of my arguments. I stand by what I said, the majority of Americans (yourself included until this thread) had no real idea what the scale or nature of these operations are but whether or not that is true doesn't change anything about my position does it?

Quote:
Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:

You're putting words in the mouth of; thoughts in the heads of Americans by asserting what the public perception is. Come off it.

Poppycock. I have not misrepresented American perception on this issue, and if you'd like to conduct a scientific survey to test this then I will reimburse you for it if it shows me to have misrepresented the average American perception.

The majority of Americans are simply not paying attention to this and only know superficially about the drone attacks and have no idea about the scale and target selection (even the most well informed people have to deal with the fog of covert warfare).

Quote:
You opened the jar on public perception. You argument against drones employed the strawman that American's perceived these attacks as hitting terrorists set on attacking the USA (Read: If they knew they weren't they'd believe as you do). That is a strawman: Attributing a mentality to a whole group that is easily rationally defeated rather than addressing a more scattered landscape of mentalities that is not so simple.

This word "strawman", I don't think it means what you seem to think it does. I'd need to have actually misrepresented the perceptions of the American public to have erected one.

Quote:
Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:

Here is what you said:
Robert Gentel wrote:

You: 90% of the people we are killing aren't Taliban/AQ
Me: 10% of the deaths are the Taliban/AQ

Your inability to demonstrate basic reading comprehension is frustrating. I very clearly said to you, even in the portion of my reply that you quote, that the Taliban are the insurgents I am claiming we are killing in AQ's stead. You persists in ignorantly grouping them both when I was drawing a distinction between them.

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree. The tactical commander, we agree on, so we'll move on from that. The strategic commander has a much harder time. Let's say the SC wants to find the best road out of there. Is there a greater strategic fallout if they hit a group, or if they elect not to? What makes it easier to sell the case to come home? Moreover, can you describe a situation where not acting on intel of a threat would be strategically to the advantage? So if a TC says they know of 3 high interest areas, what is the case for the SC to say, don't fire. If one of those groups acts out a local attack, the political ramifications will make for a harder exit strategy don't you agree? Isn't that the exact rationale that is advanced by many hawks in congress to support that there is still a threat in these areas--that the threat is demonstrated by successful attacks?

Could you reword this to ask a coherent question? I earnestly tried to decipher this rambling but really have no idea what you are on about. I told you my qualms were not tactical, but strategic. Do you understand the difference?

I'm saying that Obama should have made the decision to start to withdraw earlier than next year. What tactical commanders do prior to that decision is a natural consequence of his failure to do so and I do not fault the tactics they must employ because it's not up to them when they can stop killing the Taliban and insurgents, it's up to Obama.

Quote:
Okay. Fair play. Tell me then, what would be a good strategy.

Since we started talking about this some of it has actually inched forward. The US introduced a couple of moratoriums on the drone strikes (after killing a bunch of Pakistani soliders and getting kicked out of the airbase they were using and having supply lines to Iraq cut by Pakistan) and have targeted the Taliban less since (the strikes since then that I know about have actually largely been relatively high-value AQ targets). We have also allowed the Taliban to open an office in Qatar and have begun negotiations with them elsewhere, already offering to release their leader from Gitmo as a gesture of goodwill within the last two weeks.

Basically the sane strategy right now is to stop fighting the Taliban and make peace, and it's a strategy the US will pursue more aggressively next year (it won't happen in this election year but will accelerate dramatically next year) and one that has begun and has accelerated since we started talking.

Simply put I'm getting what I wanted next year, but when we started talking it was scheduled for 2014 or later and I am arguing that next year is about two years late.

Quote:
Show some examples of other countries using such a strategy...

Like some other country fighting some other war somewhere? How many such wars do you think I can call on? This is a daft question, but how about France telling NATO they want out earlier than NATO had planned and announcing that they are pulling their troops about 10 days ago? Britain too plans to get out next year. How about the Panetta himself spilling the beans that we are accelerating our withdrawal to 2013 (before the administration walked it back slightly)?

Anyone following this at all should realize that every single participant thinks NATO should cut their losses and have been openly planning for the end of our war with the Taliban at the table. That's why it doesn't make sense to vigorously prosecute the war against the Taliban this year (and why it has already been winding down in that regard since we started this discussion).

Quote:
and tell me why you think such a strategy would be applicable and could be adapted to our own military strategy.

I don't know how you manage to ask such pointless questions with such remarkable consistency but I'll try to humor you.

Basically, I think we should have drawn down the war 2 years ago. I'll leave you to figure out how to "adapt" that into American military strategy (but here's a hint, it largely revolves around the notion that what we are going to do next year should have come billions of dollars and hundreds of lives earlier).

If that concept is ambiguous to you I'll just have to live with failing to have communicated successfully with you.

Quote:
On this matter, I'm very serious. This is what I think the real base of the discussion should be. If you'd like a jump off point, critique my own suggestions which I posted a few pages back:

http://able2know.org/topic/181356-3#post-4819868

Your suggestions are tangential and nonsensical. Things like the draft make precious little sense when it comes to this war, and I can't imagine why you think they should be the kind of discussion this is about.

The crux of the issue is that everyone involved knows we are have decided to cut our losses, and I am arguing that we are wasting blood and treasure while acclimating ourselves to the idea. What on earth that has to do with your suggestions is something I can't figure out and perhaps you could explain if you want better critiques that I have the patience for.

I'll try one last time: I think we should have started the withdrawal that will start next year 2 years ago. Get it yet?

Quote:
Robert Gentel wrote:

If we're talking about active military theaters like Iraq or Afghanistan, it's too late, we're there.

Jesus, you get me to wonder if I'm the one daft and just not understanding you. Of course we are there, I am arguing for us to get out more quickly

What on earth do you mean? You don't know that we could... leave? War doesn't have to be indefinite, you know.

Quote:
Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:

Stop being so reflexive. I absolutely desire to understand your point. I have no desire to misrepresent you.

I have never ever seen someone of your intelligence have so hard a time understanding such basic arguments ("we should leave earlier"). Excuse me if I seem baffled but it almost seems like talking to someone about football who is responding about basketball. I have not been able to identify a single coherent point in any of your posts here and am frustrated by the exchanges.

Quote:
Vapid? Would that be commentary on my tone or my style?

No, I am not saying your arguments have vapid tone, I am saying your arguments have vapid substance. You go on and on about me mischaracterizing the American public's knowledge and perceptions when they are largely irrelevant to what I want to discuss and really have nothing else of substance to disagree with me on.

Quote:
You find my post incoherent? So do you think I don't have a point, or that it is not being communicated?

I can't make it any more obvious that I think your arguments here have been entirely pointless, if I allude to the possibility of miscommunication it's usually just a pleasantry that I am indulging in but if you want me to speak plainly then, yes, I think you are rambling without a point.

Quote:
Well, we can both make declarations on what is a well made argument, but that wouldn't get us very far. You've failed to convince me about what I've challenged you on, does that make your argument poor?

No, and neither does your failure to convince me make your arguments poor, the lack of any point does that.

Quote:
I'm sure it more likely means that there is something wrong with me.

Finally some common ground!

Quote:
You're dictating terms, and it seems more important to you, so have at it.

I'm not "dictating" anything, I'm just telling you that I think your arguments are remarkably similar to an unsharpened pencil. You can do with that whatever you wish.

Quote:
Fair enough. I stand corrected. No harm in admitting that. If you say you don't believe as much, I'll take you at your word.

Cool, let's see if you can go back and figure out the AQ/Taliban misrepresentation too. That one is more important to the discussion.

Quote:
Confused? About what exactly?

Most of what you said here really doesn't make sense to me, and not in the "I don't agree and find it nonsensical" way but in the "what is he even trying to say" way.

But if you want a specific example how about explaining how America having a draft has anything at all to do with my argument that we should be drawing down this war.

Quote:
Such as what?

Like I said, I don't think you've made a single relevant or coherent point so take your pick. If you can identify a cogent point you made against my core position (that we should be spilling less blood in this war and winding it down earlier) I will acknowledge it.

Quote:
I've little of actual disagreement with you. I do however think you employed a rather poor argument using what you projected as American sentiment/perception.

That's fine, but that's about as far as you've gotten (merely expressing that you find it poor) on that tangential argument and you've done nothing to either substantiate your gainsay of it or even tie it in any meaningful way to an opposition to my position. It's basically a complaint that I give the American public short shrift and about that I will have to respectfully disagree yet again, and point out yet again that my perception about the American public being right or wrong doesn't say anything about my core position.

If you want to test this just pretend I agree with you, now what? How does that do anything to indict the core of my argument?

Quote:
This is significant to me because when discussing the use of drones (but not exclusively), saying that 10% of the victims aren't terrorists implies that the other other 90% are not of legitimate concern.

No it doesn't. Just because I don't think we should still be killing the Taliban doesn't mean I don't think they are a legitimate concern. In fact I believe precisely the opposite (as do all belligerents in this war) that the Taliban is not going anywhere and that at some point we are going to need to cut a deal with them.

I am saying that the majority of the people we were killing this year are the type of people we are now trying to bring to the negotiation table and find a political solution with.

Quote:
You seemingly acknowledged this problem via the Tactical Commander scenario. In a question of whether or not we agree with Obama's decision to use this method, and even use it more heavily, making such an point seems to suggest that 90% of our kills from drones have nothing to do with mission objectives because Taliban/AQ are the only threat we face.

I'm gonna talk to you like 2-year old because you keep reading like one.

I am asserting that most of our kills are insurgents (INCLUDING THE TALIBAN). I do not view the Taliban as a group that needs to be defeated and neither do any of the participants in the war, each and every one currently support a negotiated peace with them and the other insurgents.

Get it? Stop grouping AQ with the Taliban, it demonstrates both a complete ignorance of the theater we are talking about as well as a maddening refusal to acknowledge my repeated correction of this grouping you made.

Quote:
I think people understand that not all insurgents are Taliban/AQ, and the soldiers over there know this as well.

Jesus.

AQ: terrorists who attacked us

Taliban: the majority of the insurgents

Get it? You keep grouping the Taliban and AQ ignorantly, the Taliban long has had no use for AQ (who have been decimated to as low as 40 members in their country by some estimates and who are no longer strategically useful to them) and I keep trying to tell you that the Taliban is the very people I am saying we should NOT be targeting anymore (especially with the whole trying to bring them to the negotiating table part).

Quote:
I don't think the use of such weapons/tactics hinge on the composition% of Taliban/AQ persons in attacks.

Ok, here's a good example of one of those pointless things you asked me to point out. What on earth are you trying to say? Why do you keep pairing AQ/Taliban when that is the very distinction I was making? Do you really not understand that I am advocating that we stop targeting the Taliban because we already decided we can't eradicate them anymore and are asking them to come to the table and participate politically in Afghanistan's future?

And if you didn't get that distinction, which is pretty much all that I've been talking about, what on earth did you actually think I was talking about?
revelette

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 07:46 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
You keep grouping the Taliban and AQ ignorantly, the Taliban long has had no use for AQ

Taliban may not call themselves AQ but the fact is that in Pakistan the Taliban has been merged with militant extremist since the start of the Afghanistan war after 9/11. (moreover, they refused to hand over Bin Laden)

Quote:
As an increasing number of suicide attacks rock Pakistan's major cities, concerns for the country's security are rising. In recent years, many new terrorist groups have emerged, several existing groups have reconstituted themselves, and a new crop of militants has emerged, more violent and less conducive to political solutions than their predecessors. Links between many of these new and existing groups have strengthened, say experts, giving rise to fresh concerns for stability. A failed bombing attempt in New York's Times Square in May 2010 with links to Pakistan also exposes the growing ambitions of many of these groups that had previously focused only on the region. The Pakistan-born U.S. citizen Faisal Shahzad who confessed to the bombing attempt was sentenced to life imprisonment by a U.S. court in October 2010.

Pakistani authorities have long had ties to militant groups based on their soil that largely focused their efforts in Afghanistan and India. But with Pakistan joining the United States as an ally in its "war on terrorism" since 9/11, experts say Islamabad has seen harsh blowback on its policy of backing militants operating abroad. Leadership elements of al-Qaeda and the Afghan Taliban, along with other terrorist groups, have made Pakistan's tribal areas (the semi-autonomous region along the Afghan border) their home and now work closely with a wide variety of Pakistani militant groups. On May 1, 2011, al-Qaeda leader and 9/11 mastermind Osama bin Laden was killed by a U.S. raid in Abbottabad, a military town not far from Islamabad, raising questions about the Pakistani government and intelligence services' knowledge of his whereabouts.

Terrorist Groups

Many experts say it is difficult to determine how many terrorist groups are operating out of Pakistan. Most of these groups have tended to fall into one of the five distinct categories laid out by Ashley J. Tellis, a senior associate at Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, in January 2008 testimony (PDF) before a U.S. House Foreign Affairs subcommittee.

Sectarian: Groups such as the Sunni Sipah-e-Sahaba and Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, and the Shia Tehrik-e-Jafria, which are engaged in violence within Pakistan;
Anti-Indian: Terrorist groups that operate with the alleged support of the Pakistani military and the intelligence agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), such as the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), the Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM), and the Harakat ul-Mujahadeen (HuM). This Backgrounder profiles these organizations, which have been active in Kashmir;

Afghan Taliban: The original Taliban movement and especially its Kandahari leadership centered around Mullah Mohammad Omar, believed to be now living in Quetta;

Al-Qaeda and its affiliates: The organization led by Osama bin Laden and other non-South Asian terrorists believed to be ensconced in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). Rohan Gunaratna of the International Centre for Political Violence and Terrorism Research in Singapore says other foreign militant groups such as the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan, Islamic Jihad group, the Libyan Islamic Fighters Group and the Eastern Turkistan Islamic Movement are also located in FATA;

The Pakistani Taliban: Groups consisting of extremist outfits in the FATA, led by individuals such as Hakimullah Mehsud, of the Mehsud tribe in South Waziristan, Maulana Faqir Muhammad of Bajaur, and Maulana Qazi Fazlullah of the Tehrik-e-Nafaz-e-Shariat-e-Mohammadi (TNSM).

more at the source

I am glad the wars are winding down, however, we would be idiots to just assume that all those terrorist groups have turned over a new leaf.

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 07:52 am
http://www.latestbbcnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/drone_attack_obama_090123_mn.jpg

http://voiceofdetroit.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Somalia-drones-Obama.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 08:10 am
@Robert Gentel,
Sorry I am coming late to this thread, but I just noticed it.

Quote:
Why are you guys gonna vote for this warmonger?

Well, I cannot answer for the others, Robert, but I am going to vote for him for several reasons.

In the first place, I think Obama has gotten as much as possible out an an almost unbearably toxic political environment. I admire the fact that he has conducted his political policy in a reasonable, pragmatic fashion.

Secondly, I do not think he is a warmonger. I think that you are using that term gratuitously to scorn those who will choose to vote for Obama despite the fact that he has not been perfect in office.

Thirdly, Obama is by far the best of the realistic choices being offered.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 08:20 am

Nobody in their right mind would vote for Obama this coming November.
0 Replies