Do you agree with Obama's decision to start killing more people? Then why do you support him?

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 09:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Secondly, I do not think he is a warmonger. I think that you are using that term gratuitously to scorn those who will choose to vote for Obama despite the fact that he has not been perfect in office.

I disagree both with the notion that he is not a warmonger as well as the risible notion that I say that he is just to scorn Obama voters (whom I don't give a flying **** about one way or the other).
Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 09:41 am
@Robert Gentel,
Maybe you have said it earlier, Robert, but assuming you were in America on November 20, 2012---what, if anything, would you do as a voter?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 09:45 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Secondly, I do not think he is a warmonger. I think that you are using that term gratuitously to scorn those who will choose to vote for Obama despite the fact that he has not been perfect in office.

I disagree both with the notion that he is not a warmonger as well as the risible notion that I say that he is just to scorn Obama voters (whom I don't give a flying **** about one way or the other).

From wiki:

Quote:

A warmonger is a pejorative[1] term that is used to describe someone who is eager to encourage a people or nation to go to war.

That doesn't describe Obama at all.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 09:53 am
@Thomas,
As we've discussed elsewhere I find the act of voting largely pointless (especially as a CA resident in the general election) and wouldn't bother voting for anyone (there are plenty of other ways I can have a greater influence on the outcome than that).

But I want Obama to lose, to answer your question, and would continue to campaign against him. Even though all his opponents (except Ron Paul) are talking an even more hawkish game, I want to repudiate his flip-flopping on the issue because I don't think they would be able to do much more hawkish than he has in practice. In practice I think he's been about as hawkish as the US could get away with right now.

I'm sick of Democrats incessantly compromising on the "least evil" argument and think they need to start losing until they stop being such spineless pushovers. It's because of this incessant "but Republicans are worse" excuses that they get away with being so completely useless to their ideological base.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:06 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

If you cherry pick the harshest definitions it might not, but the term literally means "war seller" and is synonymous with bellicist and militarist, which I think is appropriate.

Whatever the excuses for his killings one can conjure he's still undoubtedly one of the men with the most blood on his hands out of all world leaders right now. If you order all current state leaders by the killings they presided over he would be in the top 2%-3%.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:12 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

If you cherry pick the harshest definitions it might not, but the term literally means "war seller" and is synonymous with bellicist and militarist, which I think is appropriate.

I don't believe it is at all. A little exaggeration for effect on your part here.

Cycloptichorn
revelette

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:12 am
@Robert Gentel,
So tell me, after 9/11, what would have been your response to AQ and other militants groups of similar goals to deal with it? Apologize for any wrong doing on the part of the US and sit back and do nothing? The US did not start the war with AQ. Bush went off in another direction, but Obama focused back on the ones who were responsible and the ones who have joined them.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:14 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I am not exaggerating for effect, I find militarism to be a relative thing and relative to other world leaders how many can you name who are more militarist than he? And if militarism isn't warmongering then it's a largely useless pejoration.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:22 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
So tell me, after 9/11, what would have been your response to AQ and other militants groups of similar goals to deal with it? Apologize for any wrong doing on the part of the US and sit back and do nothing?

This is a perfectly insipid question. I have been advocating a withdrawal from Afghanistan for the last few years (mind you, it'd been a decade since 9/11), and your idiotic argument is to ask if I wanted the US to have apologized to Al Qaeda after 9/11? Go fly a kite!

This is the kind of abject stupidity that makes open debate frustrating, the profundity of which I fear might make it contagious.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:28 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I am not exaggerating for effect, I find militarism to be a relative thing and relative to other world leaders how many can you name who are more militarist than he? And if militarism isn't warmongering then it's a largely useless pejoration.

Obama inherited two different wars - what did you want him to do? Quit on both of them immediately and send everyone home the minute he got into office? That wasn't politically possible, even if it is what you would have wanted him to do.

I think the fact is that since he took over the reigns, the numbers of those killed offensively by US soldiers has decreased; and he is not perceived as a warmonger, instead constantly and continually touting non-military solutions for issues. Let us examine the current Iranian rumblings; is Obama advocating that we use military force to stop them? No, he is not. Is he promising to bomb their sites in order to prevent them from getting a bomb? Nope. But a Warmonger would be doing exactly that. The GOP candidates are pretty much all doing exactly that (with the exception of Ron Paul).

You can't just use terms however you want. A Warmonger is someone who advocates war as a solution for global problems. Obama doesn't do that and never has. I couldn't find a definition of Warmonger that matches the way you seem to be using it.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:29 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

revelette wrote:
So tell me, after 9/11, what would have been your response to AQ and other militants groups of similar goals to deal with it? Apologize for any wrong doing on the part of the US and sit back and do nothing?

This is a perfectly insipid question. I have been advocating a withdrawal from Afghanistan for the last few years (mind you, it'd been a decade since 9/11), and your idiotic argument is to ask if I wanted the US to have apologized to Al Qaeda after 9/11? Go fly a kite!

This is the kind of abject stupidity that makes open debate frustrating, the profundity of which I fear might make it contagious.

Rev may not have been aware that this is what you've been advocating for years. Don't let that stop you from calling her question 'abject stupidity' though.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Obama inherited two different wars - what did you want him to do? Quit on both of them immediately and send everyone home the minute he got into office?

That's one extreme, the other is to leave them till the last possible minute* like he is doing. I advocate a middle-term solution.

*In Iraq we left on the last day we were legally allowed to be there by the Iraqis and all our allies in Afghanistan have announced their intent to leave in the next months, which is hastening the US withdrawal.

Quote:
I think the fact is that since he took over the reigns, the numbers of those killed offensively by US soldiers has decreased;

I think that compared to Bush's last year he increased, not decreased the number of people America kills. He favored a surge and a dramatic escalation of drone use and while body counts necessarily involve a bit of guesswork I've not been able to find any figures that show a reduction from where the wars were at the end of Bush's term.

If you look at the full picture he certainly isn't a fraction of the warmonger that Bush was, but I do not consider it accurate to say that he decreased the number that we kill when I believe he did precisely the opposite.

Quote:
Let us examine the current Iranian rumblings; is Obama advocating that we use military force to stop them? No, he is not.

Relative to only the Israelis is he a dove on this issue. In diplomatic speak "no option off the table" means war. His administration has used that several times within the last few weeks to indicate that if the diplomacy they favor does not work that option remains.

Frankly, even that is ******* nuts. Even if diplomacy fails entirely and Iran actually decides to weaponize their program right away, a war with Iran over this is utter folly. But Israel's even more militarist position and the hay Republicans can make by the charge that he is not a true friend of Israel means he is willing to tack their way.

I consider it utterly irresponsible for him to be putting war on the table in the threats even if he says he prefers the diplomacy and thinks that it can work. If the diplomacy doesn't work he's boxed himself into using force by promising that he would prevent Iran from acquiring nukes and that all options for doing so are on the table.

Quote:
Is he promising to bomb their sites in order to prevent them from getting a bomb? Nope.

In diplomatic speak it generally is not as overtly stated and he has gotten as close to a promise like that as diplospeak allows.

This is from January:

"America is determined to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon, and I will take no options off the table to achieve that goal. But a peaceful resolution of this issue is still possible, and far better."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/25/us-usa-obama-speech-iran-idUSTRE80O0B120120125

This is from December:

http://www.reuters.com/video/2011/12/08/obama-on-iran-no-options-off-table?videoId=226508075

He makes clear that military options are being considered and has stuck his neck out by saying that we aren't going to tolerate a nuclear Iran and will use all options to ensure that.

Quote:
But a Warmonger would be doing exactly that. The GOP candidates are pretty much all doing exactly that (with the exception of Ron Paul).

Campaigning isn't diplospeak, they would not say those things the same way they do in office. They'd say it like Obama is saying it.

He has repeated the "no option off the table" mantra enough times that the meaning is patently clear. He has asked Israel to give more time for diplomacy to work and has said he thinks it can work but has, for months, paired this with the clear threat of military force as a backup plan.

Quote:
You can't just use terms however you want.

I actually can, and you can disagree with the validity of the use if you wish but we'll have to agree to disagree about it.

How's your list of current world leaders with more blood on their hands coming?
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:47 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Rev may not have been aware that this is what you've been advocating for years. Don't let that stop you from calling her question 'abject stupidity' though.

It's stupid not because of my historical positions make it so but because of the idiotic notion that if I do not like one course of action that a deliberately absurd "do nothing and apologize" is the alternative I must be proposing.

It's a completely stupid way to argue. Just because I argue that we should now be killing fewer people and winding this down earlier does not mean that I advocated no response at all to 9/11 and wanted to apologize to Al Qaeda.

That is perfectly insipid and deserved being labeled as such.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:48 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You can't just use terms however you want.

I actually can, and you can disagree with the validity of the use if you wish ...

This is the kind of abject stupidity that makes open debate frustrating,
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:49 am
@DrewDad,
You invariably mistake pithiness for wisdom.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:53 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Campaigning isn't diplospeak, they would not say those things the same way they do in office. They'd say it like Obama is saying it.

Oh, well, when you can just wave away examples of ACTUAL warmongering, I guess you can make any 'ol argument you like, right?

Sorry, not buying it. At all.

Quote:

I actually can, and you can disagree with the validity of the use if you wish but we'll have to agree to disagree about it.

Fortunately for my position, dictionaries and other sources for definitions of words clearly agree with me and disagree with you. Naturally, you can say whatever you like, but don't expect to find much agreement.

Why is it that Obama's domestic opponents are allowed to say things and have their meanings be something else - but Obama is not? You know as well as I do that he cannot state 'I will take military options off the table for dealing with a nuclearized Iran.' It would be used against him endlessly domestically. So, where's the slack for him, that you are willing to cut others?

Quote:
How's your list of current world leaders with more blood on their hands coming?

There aren't many, in large part b/c most countries replace their leaders every few years, and we're the only real country at war with another one right now. It was a carefully constructed question on your part, but not one which leads to any real enlightenment regarding Obama's character.

Why don't you compare him to leaders within the last 50 years and see where he falls? He wouldn't even make the list of warmongers.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:55 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

You invariably mistake pithiness for wisdom.

No, he's correct - your use of the term Warmonger is incorrect and continuing to insist that it is correct is as insipid as the posts you like to criticize. You'd be better off admitting it and just choosing a different term than to fight this losing retreat action into differential semantics.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:57 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

It's stupid not because of my historical positions make it so but because of the idiotic notion that if I do not like one course of action that a deliberately absurd "do nothing and apologize" is the alternative I must be proposing.

It's a completely stupid way to argue. Just because I argue that we should now be killing fewer people and winding this down earlier does not mean that I advocated no response at all to 9/11 and wanted to apologize to Al Qaeda.

That is perfectly insipid and deserved being labeled as such.

It was actually a request for you to elucidate what you would have done differently. But you didn't take her up on it, preferring instead to hurl slings and arrows. Was greater enlightenment achieved by this?

Cycloptichorn
revelette

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:59 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

It has been a decade since 9/11; however, we had been sidetracked in Iraq for much of that decade and hadn't dealt with AQ and Bin Laden who was behind the events on 9/11. Obama refocused on the actual people who did the crime some of which the Taliban has been aligned with since before the war started in Afghanistan.

Quote:

sticks and stones (shrugs)

Quote:
It was actually a request for you to elucidate what you would have done differently. But you didn't take her up on it, preferring instead to hurl slings and arrows. Was greater enlightenment achieved by this?

Correct, so what is your answer?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 11:11 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Oh, well, when you can just wave away examples of ACTUAL warmongering, I guess you can make any 'ol argument you like, right?

What you mean by this is unclear to me. I didn't wave away the Republican candidate's warmongering, I explained why I don't think they could realistically be any more hawkish than Obama has in practice. That doesn't mean I don't consider Romney's pandering on Israel and Iran to be warmongering.

Quote:
Fortunately for my position, dictionaries and other sources for definitions of words clearly agree with me and disagree with you.

I disagree with this assessment, but don't really see any chance of this assessment being any more edifying than it has so far and will just have to agree to disagree with you on this.

Quote:
Naturally, you can say whatever you like, but don't expect to find much agreement.

I can live with failing to convince you.

Quote:
Why is it that Obama's domestic opponents are allowed to say things and have their meanings be something else - but Obama is not?

I'm not sure where you got this notion. Obama is allowed to say whatever the **** he wants to. I, in turn, am free to say I don't want him to be the next president.

I've never said anything about what Obama or his opponents are "allowed" to say or not and have not ever favorably contrasted his opponents (with the exception of Paul) to him on this issue.

Quote:
You know as well as I do that he cannot state 'I will take military options off the table for dealing with a nuclearized Iran.' It would be used against him endlessly domestically. So, where's the slack for him, that you are willing to cut others?

I understand the domestic political pressure he is under, but his word, unlike theirs, actually carries the authority of being the commander in chief of the world's largest army. The effect is very different, the stupid warmongering that Romney engages in is not binding and because he will lose the election won't increase the odds of war much at all (except to the degree that he causes Obama to engage in similar behavior) but Obama's words actually do move us closer to war and he is boxing the US into a corner if diplomacy doesn't work in Iran.

Quote:
There aren't many, in large part b/c most countries replace their leaders every few years, and we're the only real country at war with another one right now. It was a carefully constructed question on your part, but not one which leads to any real enlightenment regarding Obama's character.

Why don't you compare him to leaders within the last 50 years and see where he falls? He wouldn't even make the list of warmongers.

I will give you a slight nod to your cherry picking accusation but not for the reasons you say so (the real cherry picking I am guilty of is deliberately excluding recently deposed despots like Gaddafi to try to get the figure to the Occupy's 1%) and I will agree with you that in the course of the last 50 years he is not much of a warmonger at all.

But like I said to you earlier, I think that the term has little meaning without being relative to current context. Warfare is evolving so quickly that the comparison to even 10 years ago needs a technological and economic asterisk by it (e.g. the drone escalation that Obama undertook was not technically feasible under Bush, and towards the end of last year a new, much smaller, missile that reduced the kill count began to be used by the drones.

That is, all current leaders are less warmongery than in the past, we live in unprecedentedly peaceful times. Economic contagion is increasingly diminishing the value of "hard" power and increasing the value of "soft" power and the cost of waging overt war will keep increasing in the next decades.

S0 I completely agree that Obama is not a warmonger relative to leaders in different eras, but relative to his era (eras get smaller with the acceleration of technology, just like generations do) he is one of the leading killers around. I'd venture a guess that in 50 years he'd compare unfavorably to future warmongers too but all this says a lot more about the evolution of warfare than it does about his decision making.