First Word -

Sturgis

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 09:55 pm
MUCH

A bit too much to respond to all at once so I'll do a hit and miss sort of deal.

Congratulations on getting Dolly over to Australia, should be an excellent time and treat. You must go Dutchy and give us details! Lots of details!
As far as Springsteen, you can keep him. He has angered me in recent years with some of what he has done. Stick to music Brucie instead of making political statements in lackluster songs, that's my advice.

As far as types of music, NO I am not an opera fan. It doesn't work for me, seems a little too showy and besides which I have no idea what they are saying and the captions when shown on the television are invariably too small, or else we get white lettering over white scenery so it can't be seen.

My first trip to an opera, I was 11 and saw The Barber of Seville. It was something which was arranged for me to see by somebody at my school. Kind of odd going as nobody else in the class had been invited to it. Went alone...yeah, in those days 11 year olds could travel the city alone, it was a winter day and one of those damp snow deals where the snow is wet and half of it melts leading to slippery slush and pockets of ice. I enjoyed the show from what I remember but it didn't push me towards opera.

My musical tastes are varied, I like classical at times, can listen to bluegrass and country just about always,enjoy the doo-wop classics from the 50s and 60s as well as much of the pop music of the 5os, 60s and 70s. Kind of started being less interested as the 80s took off, although there were several nice tunes released then, same holds for the 90s and on through today. Occasional song which grabs me.

Additionally, I fell in love with the folk music scene, albeit a little later than most, but fall I did, thanks to Dave Van Ronk. Cannot say enough wonderful things about him and his music. It carried me through the November 2005 into July of 2oo6 when I had the strange 'non-cancerous' growths taking over my stomach. (still say I don't give a hoot how benign it is, the fact is they were in there and growing left and right, even if they posed no danger of metastasizing). Listening to Van Ronk (and a few others) during that time, kept me calm as I lost the 40 pounds because I was unable to eat. That was when I would plow through several containers of ice cream each week as a way to at least try to maintain. I didn't get to it though until after I'd lost the weight.

Other music has appealed to me, , including Cajun and zydeco most music doe appeal, sexceptions being opera and jazz in particular although they each have some good moments.

Kind of off today, although the left leg has cleared up, and the right is vastly improved, there's some crazy weird pain in there and I noticed earlier that there's a growling redness around the wound areas. Makes me wonder if the antibiotic got all the infection. Am seeing the doctor tomorrow morning and will ask her what she thinks about it, as I am pretty certain the infection had likely settled in and deeply prior to making a public appearance on the surface.

Now a musical interlude starting with a favorite of mine, by Al Hirt, called Java.

and Al Hirt with Cotton Candy/Sugar Lips/Java

Dave Van Ronk with his take on Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now

Nobody Knows You When You're Down Out

Van Ronk performing Alabama

and closing out with Last Call

Goodnight everybody! (or I suppose good morning to Foundy and Dutchy)
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 02:13 am
@glitterbag,
I think glitterbag, it's much like a book? That also has a movie. I love James Patterson and I have read almost all of his books, mind you I prefer true crime and Ann Rule is a great writer. But, "Kiss the Girls" I nearly threw the book down over what was happening but I was on the edge of my seat, much like seeing a concert. Then I saw the movie and they cut so much out it was disappointing, wait that's the other way around Smile

Point being what ever you are passionate about, if you have experienced it more "live" then you just "hear or in my case read" the story so much better.

Good for you. I am 50 so not that much younger but some of those people I was too young to see a concert but I loved and still do all the old music what the , this new era is about is beyond me Smile

I met Johnny Farnham remember him Dutchy? In person and Elle McPherson I am sure most of you know of her?

Therefore, same, when listening to the music or seeing a cover, you feel something totally different.

I so need to listen to music more.. Been too long, work a a holic Smile

As for venues with music, OH YES agree love doing that. Like Jazz too. Especially with the man of your dreams Smile

You all are giving a lot of great music on here, I think I need to do what Daisy did, sit back, glass of wine, music and I KNOW WHERE TO GO, here Smile Tomorrow night perhaps.

Sturgis what a lot of music you like ! Smile

Daisy where are you, don't hide, we loved your post.

Von, sorry I can't do you tube yet, bet you will teach me ..Wink

Dutchy you need to listen to more music than just Dolly Wink This part of the thread must be for you lols.

Dinner calls

Night all for now, yep was my morning Sturgis hope the vibes being sent to you are making you better, glad you feel better glitter.

FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 02:39 am
@FOUND SOUL,
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j347/tullmann1/Ron%20Swanson%20GIFs/Dancing.gif

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab30/ansach/nd_123_zps7cfbffa2.gif

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216/Peacefulrain09/Movies/DirtyDancing_zps49ab64e9.gif
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 03:19 am
@glitterbag,
The only Bolero by six Spanish guitars that I can think of is by The Gypsy Kings who play progressive pop-oriented flamenco -

Anything like this?
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 03:38 am
@FOUND SOUL,
YOUTUBE
Easy peasy - says she who had no idea how to post something off YouTube until some kind soul o A2K explained how just a few short months ago!

Find the music or video clip you want to post, copy the link location, then post it as follows - type [youtube][/youtube] - centre your cursor between the two middle brackets, and paste the music or video of your choice. The same sort of thing as [img][/img] - only there isn't one for YouTube, so you have to type it yourself. The main thing to watch are the brackets - not ordinary brackets like ( ) but [ ] - lower case.

Now I've probably totally confused you! Hope not. Come back to me if you have problems and I'll try to explain with more clarity..
vonny

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 03:56 am
@Sturgis,
ZYDECO

We have zydeco in our collection - Clifton Chenier particularly. Dave Van Ronk - wasn't he a crony of Bob Dylan - I think they fell out over House of the Rising Sun - which was the great hit for Eric Burdon and the Animals - a great favourite of mine.

Bob Dylan - we have everything he ever made - more my husband's choice than mine. I like some of his work, but I'm picky about music - I like, say, one track off an album and only listen to that one track, whereas my husband listens to entire albums. As I once said to Foundy - I have a grasshopper mind and the attention span of a gnat - or words to that effect. Easily bored! Laughing

Bruce Springsteen - mmm - I don't listen to pop singers when they voice opinions on politics, so it doesn't really bother me - just enjoy his music. In fact, I don't always listen to the lyrics of music - which shocks some people - I just 'feel' the music - hard to explain.

Opera - never watch it on television - don't like television! And trying to put opera or ballet on a little box never works for me. But I went to see both on stage at theatres from early childhood, so I have great affection for both genres of music.

As I said on another thread when my (English) sense of humour conflicted with that of someone else - Vive la difference! Good job we have different tastes - makes life a lot more interesting.

0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 04:04 am
@Dutchy,
JAZZ

Hey Dutchy, I liked the Dutch Swing College Orchestra even more than I thought I would - good music! Especially liked the old Jelly Roll Morton tune, Wild Man Blues.

My favourite jazz instrument? Clarinet. What's yours?
vonny

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 04:08 am
@FOUND SOUL,
KNIGHTS

in White Satin - don't know it by your CHAP Laughing (what would you call him - man, fellow, lad, geyser???) Rolling Eyes Laughing but love it by the Moody Blues. Lovely song.

0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 05:47 am
@vonny,
JAZZ

My favourite instrument is the Trumpet, just love Louis Armstrong and his Jazz 5 and Hot 5 What about "When the Saints come marching in"?

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Youtube.+Louis+Armstromng+when+the+saints+come+marching+in&docid=4744441109284271&mid=7FBA7359605403F43AFA7FBA7359605403F43AFA&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=7FBA7359605403F43AFA7FBA7359605403F43AFA
Daisy Ryder

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 09:34 am
@Dutchy,
BLUES

I love music. Not really into the new stuff. It just doesn't make sense.
One band ... New on the radio, I kinda like.
You can't change the music station without hearing Pokey LaFarge and the south city three ... The one guy plays the washboard.
They're catchy.
Pokey reminds me of a new Bob Dylan.
You should check it out. (;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjuo6mgeqC4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

vonny

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 09:51 am
@Daisy Ryder,
NEW

They are new to me - listened to a few of their tracks - like Garbage Man Blues. Reminds me so strongly of another group, but I can't drag the answer from my memory -

vonny

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 09:58 am
@Dutchy,
Here's a fun one for you Dutchy - the Pasadena Roof Orchestra.

Daisy Ryder

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 10:00 am
@vonny,
CRAZY.
That song just played on the satellite radio. Laughing Garbage Man ...
Not bad, eh? Don't they just want to make you wiggle and giggle!?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 10:08 am
@vonny,
Thank you Vonny, I enjoyed that.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 01:50 pm
Here's one I love - just a pop song - but it's a great favourite of mine.

FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 02:26 pm
@vonny,
GOODNESS!

How am I going to listen to all of that I mean, all of those? Wink

Cajun Music, I've never heard of any of those artists, I just looked up !! But,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib2s6z2MK_w

Santana now that's a guy I could groove to all night long! I'll work out how to do it Von, you know me, I will, I will Smile

STURGIS

How did you do at the Doctors is it still infected? Can they work out that niggly pain? Did you write the word sex? Did I actually see that?

DAISY

How's your head? Wink Just kidding....

Seeing ol Cuz, today, 2nd cousin and his wife, he has been providing me with a whole lot of history, fascinating when we keep going way back into the 1900's, need more time to read it all... I'm better at practical than theory ...

Does anyone follow their family tree?

Keep the music going, I'm sure to click on them tonight and see what I can capture...

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t404/IVBREDDY/motivational_good_morning_quotes_zps9e3a4361.jpg

Sturgis

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 02:46 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FIDDLE

Fit as a fiddle according to the doctor.

Then I woke up.

Not much change, another round of antibiotics, deal with this a time longer. Seems fair and like a good idea. She isn't overly concerned, thinks this is moving along properly. As to the pains, that's part of the deal with this stasis thing refusing to push the blood through the way it should. Better to have some pain then to end up with even more non-healing sores. Most of them have cleared up, although there are a few new ones and one or three spots which seem like they could erupt at any time.

Yes, miss pervy, I did say sexception. It was when I tried moving some text and the letter at the end of does got moves next to exception. Noticed it long after I had posted, and since I read through first it was annoying that somehow I had missed it.

Family tree? Not if I can help it. Ours was obviously some sort of a nut tree considering what has fallen out of it. I know large portions, but other parts are a mystery.

Not much to add at this time, maybe later.

Hope all are well.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 03:00 pm
@Sturgis,
MS PERVY ?

PFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT AND PFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Smile

Good to hear Sturgis... Great news.. Keep that sexpirit up Smile
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:15 pm
Oh my Gosh, Al Hirt was a big deal when he was alive. I had an old LP I would play to relax when I was 14-16. I'd listen in the dark and fall asleep to "east of the sun and west of the moon", it was so beautiful. My favorite cousin Michael was two years older (actually still is) and Al Hirt was his inspiration. By the time he graduated from high school he won an award "Top Coronet Player in North Carolina". Or something like that, but it got him a scholarship to Peabody Institute, later drafted into Navy and played with the Navy Band about 6 years.

I have a Pokey LaFarge CD, his music reminds me of late 20's-early 30's rural Honkey Tonks. Very interesting sound. If you can get HBO's Boardwalk Empire you will love the music. Also, I don't know if you can get "Austin City Limits" outside of the US, but they feature famous as well as new acts, and many collaborative efforts. I saw a small group called "Alabama Shakes", original music kind of a fusion of Soul, country, rock, hard to define but very interesting sounds.
Dutchy

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 10:12 pm
@glitterbag,
Besides Armik, the Flamenco guitarist Ottmar Liebert is also one of my favourites. Listen to him playing "Barcelona Nights".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1isv5s0uo