First Word -

Dutchy

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 02:09 pm
@vonny,
PORT DOUGLAS

Yes vonny PD is a lovely place for a holiday, only 3.500km from here, so not next door. Have been there twice, enjoyed drives to the rain forests, did boats trips and dived on the great Barrier Reef, a fantastic experience. And of course feasted on their fabulous foods. My son deserves his break with his family, has just finished a long Tuna fishing season and will get ready on his return for the new season starting in January.
vonny

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 02:18 pm
@Dutchy,
TRAVEL

I've travelled round quite a lot of Australia via Google Maps - great invention! You live in a wonderful country - but I don't need to tell you that!

Are you still planning to visit your son at Christmas? Be a great achievement if you can manage it - wow, you've come a long way in a short time. You had us all on tenterhooks whilst you were in hospital - amazing what you've managed to achieve since then. When will they do the cataract op - soon I hope?

Poor Foundy - I hope she's not pushing herself too hard. She works some incredibly long hours - not good for her shoulder. And Sturgis - where's he vanished to now? I hope he's recovered from the last bout of ill health.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 03:18 pm
BEHOLD

Okay maybe not so dramatic, however I'm here. Apparently someone was concerned I had overdosed on licorice and ice cream and licorice ice cream. No such luck. Been here and there, looking around at times but was not really up to posting some of the time. Not sure exactly why. No returns to the hospital so that's a step in the right direction. Still spending far too much time getting to know the smartphone.

Since I mention it so much, I feel compelled to show an internet hijacked photo of it. (of course I had to have it in a shade of red...was there ever any doubt Laughing ) Samsung has come a long way from what I've heard and it seems like the right fit for me. (the larger than average screen helps too for my eyes). The first month has been a learning experience along with slapping myself for not having tried out one of these handy devices earlier. Had regular cellphones before, nothing extreme.

The weather warmed up again, back to the upward 70s and not dropping too low at night. I know it won't last, but it's nice for now. However the angling of the sun in the morning tells me the season has officially changed and even though the leaves haven't turned yet, a few have begun the ejection process. I wonder what I will see when all the leaves are off. Who did what to their building and yard during the last several months? I've heard plenty of sound out there, but the trees keep my curious eyes from knowing.

Port Douglas seems quite nice. I am not too much of a water person, however it looks very relaxing, so as long as I am not forced onto the beach, I could likely deal well with it. More into forests and mountains myself (and yet I now live on an island, go figure).

Medicare booklet arrived today. It looks ominous. It always does, however, I saw one item of concern. They indicate the monthly deduct from the check, won't be changing. Normally that only happens if the monthly check remains stagnant. That would not be good. Especially considering that the Part D, prescript. plan sent a notice indicating the new prices. Up by $6.00 on the monthly premium and new amounts for the per drug cost. Still, it's better than paying all the medication costs on my own. One of them runs at over two hundred dollars for a 30 day supply Shocked . I'm one of the lucky ones as it is covered under my plan, according to the doctor, most plans are not covering it which is too bad because it happens to work quite well on the pain factor.

Speaking of pain, it did ratchet up some these past few days. Not sure why other than related to that fall last week when I got to meet the sexy Irish cop. I wonder why he hasn't dropped by for coffee and donuts, I left a trail of crumbs from the station house to my door Laughing There is lower back pain from that fall, which of course alters my walking which brings other body stress and subsequent pain. Still, I would not trade the extras of aging for an early casket. Too many wonderful things I can still get to enjoy.

Comedy with screams ensued last week when the mail arrived and those idiots from the local courthouse summoned me for jury duty. Same people who tried getting me in May when my doctor wrote a letter explaining my vast array of medical issues and that they were some of them chronic, and some there was no time table of when they'd be resolved. She also indicated that due to nature of one part (the VS) I am not able to sit for long periods of time. As in 4 or more hours while a case is on. So anyway, the courts have decided I suppose that in less than 5 months I must be healed. Rolling Eyes I half laughed and half screamed.

That's about it for now, need to figure out what to do next, Not about to watch the news right now with this whole government shut down. It would be too depressing. Pop around the internet a while longer, then maybe do some reading or listen to some bluegrass music. That usually gets my spirits up and helps me forget anything that's worrisome.

Now where has Foundy gone? Is she off at the witches convention already? I thought that wasn't for another few weeks...

https://www.androidios.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Red-Aurora.jpg
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 04:18 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Now where has Foundy gone? Is she off at the witches convention already? I thought that wasn't for another few weeks...

I'll be back to answer the rest BUT, how did you know that given I just pretty much mentioned that on answer my question with an answer to you Wink DODODODODODODODODODO
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 04:28 pm
@Sturgis,
Soooo Dutchy answer Vonny's question you rude person you Smile I know you're around again Wink

Can't help it Von, I have to keep going at the moment, imagine, 6 months down the track having someone take over the paperwork shuffle and leave me to just manage and sell that would be awesome.. WILL be I mean awesome always thinking positive.

Ah Sturgis, I often read and don't reply or do one or two threads and nick off, you have to be in the mood as well as typing on first word, it's never a first word now is it Smile Then there's sleep, you are deprived I tell you, off sleep off courseeeee.

OUCH! Have to say that hurt my eyes, so red and BIG! Actually I thought maybe I wasn't signed in at first and that was spam, advertising haha.

Our trees are now starting to grow their beautiful bright lime green leaves and something that looks like grapes, yet white, yet smells like frangapani (however you spell it) just beautiful.. As for raking them up, been there done that, drives me nuts.

I went to Port Douglass for NYE, back 4 years ago, just after I met D Wink It was tropical, raining but warm, humidity not too bad. There was a butterfly sanctuary which was awesome to walk through, bottomless glass boats to see the coral, so many colours. Bush walks through rain forests, I want to take D there when I can.. Loved the place.

Dutchy told me a simular story about $6 increase in something, that would buy him jack shirt I'll leave that one for him Wink

To be honest Sturgis, I used to manage an investigation firm so I'm all up for Jury Duty if only someone would ask me Wink Not really, don't think I'd like to assist making decisions but I'd love to sit there and watch cases. What idiots to come back to you after such a short time.. Never mind, you won't be doing it so don't worry Smile

WATCH THE NEWS
NO DON'T
IT'S ALL NEGATIVE
EAT ICE-CREAM AND STARE INTO THE DARKNESS AT THE STARS OR SOMETHING

Hi Dutchy
Hi Von

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 03:21 am
@FOUND SOUL,
AND...................................I NEED A PHOTO FIX OF ANYTHING AFTER YOU ALL ANSWER

FANKS Wink
Dutchy

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 12:21 am
@FOUND SOUL,
PHOTO FIX

What are you talking about Foundy, I am the one that needs a photo fix, where is Dolly? Laughing

A little anxious today, waiting on words from my brothers family, he underwent a quadruple by-pass operation this morning just like I had. Runs in the family as our mother had the same when she was 60, she passed away at 81 years of age, so she had a good many years after the operation. Brother is 77 years old.

Where are the other boys from around here, the girls are getting the overhand and that is just not on, stop them in their tracks, go,go,go. Laughing

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 03:38 am
@Dutchy,
You should bring Daisy over Wink Seriously.

Oh Dutchy, keep your spirits up, he is your Brother, same mould.. He will get over this as well.. Thinking of him. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dolly? BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Wink
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 03:49 am
@Sturgis,
BLACKBERRY

Here's an image of my BlackBerry smartphone - not a touch-phone, I can't get up enough speed on them, need the QUERTY keyboard, even in miniature. Not as stylish as yours, perhaps, but a good, serviceable, little phone - second one I've had - I'd hate to be without it now.

http://s7v1.scene7.com/is/image/Littlewoods/B053P_SP295_12_PF0GN?fmt=jpeg&qlt=90&wid=1024&hei=768&color=255,255,255&size=1024,768

Foundy and Dutchy want pictures - okay - let's see what I can do about it. Here's some of England in autumn for you Foundy - leaves are starting to change colour now and some are falling - the lawns will soon need regular sweeping.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/UK+Continues+Enjoy+Autumn+Colours+kYC8dVqdsJPl.jpg

http://www.epa.gov/earthday/photoproject/images/2008finalists/600/nature_deer_AlexSaberi.LondonENG.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9olrnhRmp1r708wbo1_500.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--DWdPMsxUMI/UJ0yjbqypbI/AAAAAAAADD0/pE9gKg6XsUg/s1600/Autumn+Rain,+London,+England2.jpg

and Dolly for Dutchy -

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/66332232/Dolly+Parton.png

http://blog.workingwordpr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Dolly-80s.jpg

and lots of medicine for Sturgis - hope you find something that will help - $600 for a 30 day supply of tablets! Strewth, as a diabetic I get mine free - but even if I was paying it would only be about £7.40 for a month's supply!

http://www.rethinkgood.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/medicine-pill-bottles-light-painting-excessable-waste-1024x652.jpg

What am I doing at the moment? Well, today I go and try to master the intricacies of a microwave oven. Thrilling? Well - perhaps not the most exciting pursuit on earth, but as Foundy knows, I don't get into the kitchen much for various reasons, but with a microwave oven, and a COMFORTABLE SEAT (yes, Foundy, I finally acquired one that might help), I intend to start cooking decent meals again. I love cooking, but haven't done it for years - wish me luck! Bought a slow-cooker too. Neither will take the place of a conventional oven, but I ought to be able to work out how to use them whilst sitting down! Itll take me a while to get organised - need a dedicated working space - but I'll sort that out today.

For those who don't know, I can't walk - well, only a little way, since an a cycling accident some years ago. It doesn't stop me from doing anything - I have two mobility scooters, a wheeled garden seat, a wheelchair, lots of grab rails indoors - and I can still get up and downstairs unaided - but I'm sometimes a bit wobbly when I stand up - not safe near a conventional cooker - hence the new kitchenalia ..... Wish me luck!
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 04:17 am
@vonny,
Awesome post Von Smile

Absolutely beautiful pictures I'm in awe of England. And LOVE the others for the boys Smile I've done that, the sweeping thank goodness that's over.. Would love to get to England.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/GenericMc/DSC05857.jpg

Thought you may laugh at the slow cooker next to a friggen microwave lols. How did the witch find that, witch?

LOVE cooking in them Slow cookers not so much microwaves but they work well for sure .. Get scared to leave the home and come home to the meal, can't doo that yet with slow cookers..... But OMG you are going to be in heaven and I AM OVER THE MOON that you finally have one Von.. You are going to have so much fun, I can even hear it (so to speak) in your voice Smile Watch out world. She'll run a restaurant in 6 months.

Here is one for you maybe? I just googled .....x

Ingredients

Serves: 8
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup (30g) smoked Spanish paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1.5kg chuck steak or casserole meat cut into 2cm cubes
3 tablespoons (60ml) vegetable oil, divided
1 1/2 cups (315ml) water
185g tomato paste
1 packet (375g) fettuccine or other long pasta
1/2 cup (125ml) sour cream (optional)
8 sprigs fresh parsley (optional)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions

Preparation:40min › Cook:5hours › Ready in:5hours40min
1.Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onions until they soften and begin to brown at the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Transfer mixture to a slow cooker. Cover and set cooker to Low.
2.Mix together paprika, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Toss the meat cubes in the paprika mixture until evenly coated.
3.Heat one tablespoon of the oil in the frypan over medium-high heat. Put a third of the meat into the frypan and cook until nicely browned on all sides. Transfer to the slow cooker. Pour 2 tablespoons of water into the frypan and scrape the browned bits from the pan; pour this liquid into the slow cooker. This prevents the paprika from burning when you brown the next batches of meat. Add another tablespoon of oil to the frypan and cook the next batch the same way; repeat till done.
4.Stir the tomato paste and the rest of the water into the slow cooker; cover. Cook on High for 4 to 5 hours (or on Low for 6 to 9 hours).
5.Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Stir in the pasta, and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, according to packet directions, until done. Drain.
6.Serve the goulash over the pasta with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of parsley.

I wanna know what your first dish is..... well, we all do Smile

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x147/Crafty_Lady_13/102_0151.jpg

Not sure what I think of potato salad with this, where are the greens? But you can see the meat looks SOOOOO tender ..

Dutchy

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 06:26 am
@vonny,
COOKING
My mouth is dribbling over Foundy's recipes, so desperate to try hers and D's cooking, it would be a real feast since I have my appetite back.

I wish you well with your new microwave and new found enthusiasm for cooking Vonny. So sorry to hear about your cycling accident and problems it has given you, you're obviously a vey determined woman to do all the things you feel like doing. I admire you greatly.

Thank you also for the beautiful photos of England, I have been privileged to visit your beautiful Country on 2 occasions. Have a similar photo of Westminster Bridge with myself and Big Ben in the background.

Lovely photo's of my Dolly idol too, even though Foundy doesn't approve of her. She forgets I look at her through man's eyes.)
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 03:07 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
SNAP!

So funny - I put my microwave on the work surface with the slow cooker in front of it - not sure what their permanent positions will be, but they are in the same location exactly as yours! Laughing

Thanks for the recipe. I do have a slow cooker cookbook, but I'll print yours off and keep it on file - looks rather good. Idea

I have a microwave cookbook too, but nowhere can I find anything that tells me if I can use a glass microwaveable dish with a lid on it. I was told by a friend that if I use a lid on a casserole, it will explode because of the force of the steam. But the dish is a Pyrex type dish - looks like solid glass - freezer, dishwasher and microwave safe, and it has a solid lid. So how would I vent it - or whatever they do to let steam out? So confusing! Rolling Eyes

We didn't get much done in the kitchen today. I've just realised that it will take me a week to get the cupboards and drawers back into some sort of order - full of tools and music centres and other husbandy things at the moment - I want my kitchen back, so have laid the law down - stuff goes into the garage or the study - kitchen is for kitchenalia !!! Twisted Evil

Hey Dutchy, how did your brother's by-pass go? It must have been a worrying time for you and for his family - gosh, sad that you both had the same problem. I guess that must happen lots in families. Hope it went well for him, and that he bounces back as quickly as you've done.

I admire Dolly as a businesswoman - good voice too - the first photo I posted for you is my favourite one of her, cuts through the showbiz glitz and looks nicer and more natural.

Sturgis - hope you're feeling masses better now. You do worry us, you know. Not surprised we fear that you've overdosed on liquorice and liquorice ice cream - don't think you look after yourself properly! Seen you round on other threads, so guess you're not too far away. Do drop in more often - Dutchy's feeling starved of male company! Rolling Eyes
Sturgis

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 03:15 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
REALLY?

Say it's not so!
Quote:
I've done that, the sweeping thank goodness that's over..
My kitchen floor needs sweeping since I knocked the trash over.

(yes, of course I am taking things out of context. It's cheap fun, yet it seems to work. Ugh! Did I mention that dreaded word 'work' again?)

Plan on returning here later, never really sure what the next hours will do or if I will just conk out into a deep merciful sleep.

Finally figured the itch factor. Since the worst happens and wakes me in the stillness of the midnight (?...who writes this stuff???), it registered that it's part of the circulatory sort of shutting down at night. Less activity keeps the legs still which in turn leads to the blood pooling, stagnating and the ensuing itch. Doctor is next week, which can't get here soon enough.

Until whenever I return...
Dutchy

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 03:29 pm
@Sturgis,
WELCOME

Good to see you back Sturgis, get that sleep whenever you czn, you're body obviously need it.

Vonny, brother got trhough operation alright, latest I heard he was in the Intensive Care Unit, recovering and still out to it. My sister in law will visit him today if she is allowed to.

Glad you enjoyed your new 'toys', bet they'll get plenty of use from now on.

Friday morning here and I'm waiting to hear from Foundy, probably having a coffee and playing with Rawaii. Smile
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 04:17 pm
@vonny,
HA!

Quote:
How did the witch find that, witch?
Mr. Green

That's funny.

You are better off purchasing plastic microwave dishes that have lids (with a flip top) to them so the steam can get out. You would be able to use the glass dish with lid, but you would have to leave the top on an angle slightly, so that steam can get out... Basically as long as the steam can get out you are safe. Never use metal.

I think when any of us get anything new, we want to USE IT NOW Smile

Ask Dutchy, he has a new toy as well and waiting for Anna to cook him, croquettes !!!

Yeah Sturgis.. You don't have to write a book even though it's a great read, a line or two will do... Wink

DOLLY DOLLY DOLLY

Yes, I know you are a "mere" male Dutchy Wink

You know I think people "think" this is our little space but EVERYONE is welcome to add their bits.. It's a bit of a "BITS" thread.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 04:19 pm
@Sturgis,
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will send my "broomstick" over from down under and instruct it to do the work for you Wink

Welcome back Sturg'ssss

Sounds as if you need a permanent massage thingy that is battery operated that wraps around your legs at night, gently vibrating the entire time.

Not sure exactly what that sounds like I almost giggled.

AND, though... A new invention? Could make you millllllions!
Sturgis

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 09:50 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
WARM

Warm temps this evening, it's past 11 p.m. and hovering around 70. Window open, last year was a little cooler at this time but not by much if I recall.

As to the massage wraps, they are something I recall from a few years back in a hospital stay. The weird things inflate and deflate throughout the night as a form if massage/stimulation to keep the blood flowing and avoid blood clots. It was too late as I already had the blasted clot. Unfortunately they were also quite painful and annoying from what I remember (was heavily medicated at the time related to surgery). I complained, they stopped using them and the next thing I knew were taking them to the fellow in the next bed. He had the window in that place, not sure what the view was as in 20 days I never saw it.

So apparently, it's been invented in some way and I won't make money off it. Then again, that shouldn't surprise me. Back in 1980ish I came up with coffee bags. Similar to tea bags except with coffee (gee no kidding Sherlock, they had coffee did they). Mentioned it to a person and about 2 years later they were on the market. Not from me though. It was the same brand coffee he used so I was always wondering...and mad about it. He ended up moving to a rather fancy area in Florida and I kind of then put the pieces together. I figure he got a patent, sold 'his' idea to the coffee people, got his 'reward' and lived happily. More power to him if it makes him happy (that is, if he really did take my idea and make oodles of money from it...and there was truly no other way he would have landed in a high class, high cost Florida town such as he did...or maybe I'm just being paranoid and delusional). Bottom line is it no longer festers segments of my brain as I found a peculiar peace of mind in having the basics of life and not a vast fortune. (although I still like money)

Anyway, at this point I'd gladly go for them...although it means I will need to sleep on my back which I don't do (except when medically necessary or highly medicated as I was back then). Still say that life with these little bothers is much better than the alternative of being cremated and scattered about (hopefully after my body has served medical science for research in some way).

Dutchy, good to read your brother came through the surgery. You will be his inspiration as he begins his healing process.

Now on to the all important items:

http://cdn.evilbeetgossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/dolly-parton-quote.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6FxRX3TILZ4/ULYW98EcgUI/AAAAAAAAkDA/3dyX5BlQJ28/s1600/dolly-parton-on-the-red-carpet.jpg
http://entertainmentdesigner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Dolly-Parton-on-Ferris-Wheel.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-I6zj2tPgeN0/TX_kSWfMSMI/AAAAAAAABek/WRVSX8PjSv8/s400/Dolly+Parton+bust+insurance2.jpg

and a last one: http://cdn.aarp.net/content/dam/aarp/social_change/newsmakers/2009_03/420_dollyParton.imgcache.rev1270154438032.jpg

I will search for some more items in red for Foundy and something for Vonny as well...

Wonder if Spades and Bill can return and tell me what they want pictures of.

Until later...hope you are all staying well and happy. First and foremost folks, always remember this: Be good to yourself.
Dutchy

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 10:05 pm
@Sturgis,
You made my day Sturgis, Dolly in all her glory, displaying her beautiful hair, happy personality, dress sense and perfect figure. The ideal woman to take home to meet your grand mother!
vonny

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 02:32 am
@Dutchy,
I can just imagine my grandmother's face if one of my uncles had taken someone like Dolly home to meet her! Yikes, she'd have swooned on the spot! Grandfather would have had people remove her - he didn't like 'painted women' (that's what he said, anyway!) - he'd have been afraid his daughters tried to emulate her. Much as I appreciate Dolly as a business woman - and a darned good one - she is a little ... er ... artificial?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-owoAj7QLCGM/T9DzN3rkG_I/AAAAAAAABBA/OgyQsNa-xIo/s1600/fainting+woman.jpg

But I can understand some men like the Dolly-birds in life - here's one for you, Dutchy -

http://www.beautifulhairstyles.com/blonde/pictures/061026dollyparton.jpg

Sturgis likes policemen - eh, did you say that or did I get it wrong - anyway, here's one for you too -

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090711161933/uncyclopedia/images/0/09/Policeman.jpg

And for Foundy - the lady who has everything - almost! Diamonds, a girl's best friend!

http://weddingandtheme.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/wedding-necklace-ideas.jpg

Dutchy

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 03:05 am
@vonny,
Hi vonny, did I detect a little jealousy there when you describe Dolly as artificial? Smile

Those diamonds would fit Foundy perfectly, she is such a stunning blonde with a model figure!

Sturgis likes Police men eh. Shall I tell him I was a cop for 38 years before I retired? Smile

How is the cooking going?