When you first heard of the Tea Party, who did you think belonged?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 02:42 am
@dlowan,
plainoldme wrote:
I immediately thought of those people who want art and music classes eliminated from schools.
dlowan wrote:
Complete and total fuckwits.
Looking back on my education in the public schools,
I remember the music classes.

I am 1OO% certain
that thay contributed nothing -- in the most absolute sense -- to the betterment of my life, in any way.
Those music classes were a complete waste of my time. Thay were only annoyance.
During the years n decades n centuries since, the content thereof NEVER had any bearing -- however slight -- upon my life in the real world.

I wonder how our musical person: Bear,
feels about the compulsory education of music classes.

David
plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 07:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
WE started it . . . a statement that indicates you are one of the FF's. REally? So you are more than 200 years old???!!!

You have never exhibited an understanding of any political principle. Could it be your advanced age?
plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 07:38 am
@Green Witch,
I wanted to answer you last night but I had to wait 26 minutes to avoid flooding the thread after having replied to several folks.

I think it is telling that the most of the signs were misspelled. That statement the repubs make about the educational level of the Tea Totalitarians is as untrue as the romney retelling of the Obama statement last week . . . or was it two weeks ago? It is hard to remember because romney is a dyed-in-the-polyester liar.

Notice how david attempted to spin the matter. Pathetic
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 07:42 am
@engineer,
There was a recent campaign in the town where I live complete with lawn signs. The issue was what the posters saw as "fiscal responsibility." The matter was funding for unfinished fish ladder and filling the potholes.

First of all, those folks in New England ought to have a greater understanding of weather and potholes than the signs evidenced.

Secondly, the posting itself illustrated their total ignorance of funding. The town treasurer contacted the local paper and arranged for an interview so he could explain the matter.

I assumed everyone who posted a sign was a Tea Totalitarian due the faulty logic.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 07:44 am
@dlowan,
And totally lacking soul -- no matter which definition you might use!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 07:46 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

I am 1OO% certain
that thay contributed nothing -- in the most absolute sense -- to the betterment of my life, in any way.
During the years n decades n centuries since, the content thereof NEVER had any bearing -- however slight -- upon my life in the real world.

Then, am I right in assuming you also took a compulsory class in logic?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 08:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I am 1OO% certain

I actually find that a bit sad and think the majority of people would strongly disagree. Music is an important part of human civilization, as are all the arts. Even if we don't fully understand or relate to a particular art most people are enhanced just by knowing something about it. Even if you just watch Bugs Bunny Cartoons it's nice to know the background music is by Tchaikovsky. Music also helps us understand each other. White suburban children can get a window into the black urban world by listening to rap. All children can get a glimpse of 18th century tastes by attending a Mozart opera. We learn a lot about Nazis' just by understanding Wagner. We can learn many things about other cultures by listening to their songs and music. Knowledge is power, we owe our children as much knowledge as possible.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 09:43 am
@Green Witch,
DAVID wrote:
I am 1OO% certain
Green Witch wrote:
I actually find that a bit sad and think the majority of people would strongly disagree.
During every minute of every year since then, NOTHING
ever happened that caused me to remember those classes.

Green Witch wrote:
Music is an important part of human civilization, as are all the arts.
That 's probably true.

Green Witch wrote:
Even if we don't fully understand or relate to a particular art most people are enhanced just by knowing something about it.
Thay tawt us such things as how many strings a bassoon has. ( I don 't care how many. )

Green Witch wrote:
Even if you just watch Bugs Bunny Cartoons it's nice to know the background music is by Tchaikovsky.
I don 't care much for cartoons.
I play the mute button a lot.
My favorite musical instrument is the radio,
but I had to learn how to use that on my own, independently of the school.

Green Witch wrote:
Music also helps us understand each other. White suburban children can get a window into the black urban world by listening to rap.
That did not exist then.
Better to take a sociology course ?
or anthropology ?

Green Witch wrote:
All children can get a glimpse of 18th century tastes by attending a Mozart opera.
We never went there.

Green Witch wrote:
We learn a lot about Nazis' just by understanding Wagner.
Historians say that; I 'm not much of a musical expert.

Green Witch wrote:
We can learn many things about other cultures by listening to their songs and music.
Knowledge is power, we owe our children as much knowledge as possible.
We did not do much of that, so far as I remember.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 09:45 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
WE started it . . . a statement that indicates you are one of the FF's. REally? So you are more than 200 years old???!!!

You have never exhibited an understanding of any political principle. Could it be your advanced age?
No. Its just that your ability to understand does not function very well, Plain.

David
engineer

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 10:04 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I am 1OO% certain

I'm sure there are many classes in school that people look back on and say "I never used that", but those classes vary from person to person. One person might say math ("I've never had do trig at home"), another science ("How does knowing about Jupiter help me?") I would have guessed you would rail at spelling before music. One goal of education is to create a platform of knowledge wide enough to allow someone to have choices later in life. I don't mind music being part of that platform. I don't recall a lot of "compulsory" music classes other than a very basic intro to music so maybe my musical experience was different than yours. Now that my children are in the school system, I have a much higher appreciation to the benefits of having music programs in the school. All of my children play instruments and they are better off for it. Even though all I play is the radio, I can appreciate their gifts and how the school system supports them.

Back to the Tea Party, the problem to me is that if the school system (and government in general) were just to provide what everyone agreed was the bare minimum, first we would not actually provide the minimum since some people would not fully understand the requirements and secondly our quality of life would erode. Who wants to live with just the minimum? You could argue that government should leave going beyond the minimum to the people, but without a certain level of support, you can't get any further. On the ship of life, dedication might be the engine that moves you forward, committment the hand on the tiller that keeps you going where you want to go, but education is the map that allows you to chart your way. Without a good and broad education, how will you know where your course lies? The key to personal liberty is having enough knowledge to decide your own course therefore it is the government's responsibility to tax the people to provide for that education. That may include courses that don't matter to you personally, but that are part of that base utimately required for that true personal freedom you so strongly advocate for. If you refuse to pay taxes for a music program (or a shop class or advanced mathmatics) you are effectively restricting choices for children by simply keeping them ignorant. That doesn't seem to be in line with the growth of a society that promotes personal freedom.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 10:04 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
When you first heard of the Tea Party, who did you think belonged?

Quote:
I immediately thought of those people who want art and music classes eliminated from schools.

When I first herd the term being brought usage up in I thought back historically and thought a bunch of crazy left wing liberal renegades planning a demonstration of some kind. Most likely to be against taxes of all kinds.

A second thought because tertiary streets are sometimes plowed ahead of others, was an image of ladies in high society sipping their afternoon tea, eating scones or little pastries, little finger held to the side, their thousand dollar hats perched on their heads covered with chemicals from Monsieur Michele's Hair Salon.. Covered so fully, there's no way to determine original color or texture or whether the hair was straight, wavy, curly. You know the sorts, upper crust types who push for more music and arts (trips to the museums, ballet, symphony etc.) to be brought to the children. They discuss this while Hoffensworth the butler and Chartreuse the food server (not to be confused with Rosita the cook), hover about, putting fresh lemon wedges out as needed.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 11:43 am
I admired them untill they allowed the movement to be bought by the Koch brothers and their brethren.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 11:54 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
I admired them untill they allowed the movement to be bought by the Koch brothers and their brethren.
nothing redundant there

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 04:43 pm
@Green Witch,
I totally agree with you about music.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 04:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
During every minute of every year since then, NOTHING
ever happened that caused me to remember those classes.

That is, most likely, your fault.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 04:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
No. Its just that your ability to understand does not function very well, Plain

This statement says more about you than it does about me.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 04:48 pm
@Sturgis,
You seem confused.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 05:12 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
You seem confused.[addressed to Sturgis]
That 's humorous!
U, of all people, to raise that objection!! Very funny.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 05:18 pm
@plainoldme,
DAVID wrote:
No. Its just that your ability to understand does not function very well, Plain
plainoldme wrote:
This statement says more about you than it does about me.
Plain, I am not a psychiatrist. It lies well beyond my abilities to help u
with your mental disabilities, your delusions and your other disturbances.
Good luck with finding competent help from mental health care providers.

David
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 05:55 pm
I commend David for entering the fray here, but, in reality, his involvement is little more than interrupting a left-wing Daisy Chain.

Other than David, do the participants in this thread really find it intellectually stimulating or satisfying to stroke one another with "Yeah those Tea-Baggers sure are scum?"

Obviously you're getting a kick out of it or the thread never would have made "Popular," but it sure looks like a tribe sitting around a campfire and describing how the tribe across the river eats feces, and fornicates with dogs.

There's a level of hatred herein that's quite remarkable.

But then, you folks never hate and so I must be wrong.
0 Replies