Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 06:48 pm
Hi, I'm currently working at mcdonalds as a trainee and I'm just curious about something. At the bottom of my pay slip says: "tax file number is not provided, highest rate will be applied after (stated certain date)" what does it mean? Bcos I do have my TFN with me. Please help. Thx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,436 • Replies: 3
No top replies

chai2

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 06:54 pm
@yennywee,
I would ask payroll at mcdonalds.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 06:57 pm
@yennywee,
I've heard of Taxpayer Identification Number and Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, but tax file number is a new one to me. What country is this?

An outside contractor would definately be withheld at the highest rate if it failed to furnish either a TIN or EIN. An employer would be required to have a social security number for every employee, so I'm not sure of the situation. If in the US, did you refuse to complete a Form W-4?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 09:40 pm
@yennywee,
This might help. There is more at the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_File_Number

Quote:
Tax File Number (TFN) is an 8 or 9 digit number issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to each taxpayer (individual, company, superannuation fund, partnership or trust) to identify that taxpayer's Australian tax dealings. When it was introduced in 1988,[1] individuals received a 9 digit TFN and non-individuals were issued an 8 digit TFN. Now both are issued 9 digit TFNs. 10 digit TFNs are expected in the future, but none have yet been issued.

Strict laws ensure that tax file numbers may be recorded or used only for specifically authorised tax-related purposes. Not all individuals have a TFN. A business has both an Australian Business Number (ABN) and a tax file number; and if income is earned as part of carrying on its business, it may quote its ABN instead of its TFN.

The TFN serves a purpose similar to the American Social Security number, but its use is strictly limited by law to avoid the functionality creep which has affected the US counterpart.
0 Replies