Half full or half empty?

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 10:02 am
For almost all of the time we were together, my former boyfriend criticized me for seeing the glass as half empty.

I would respond by saying that if one sees the glass as half full, then one tends to do nothing to improve the situation.

So, why is this short tale in the politics section?

I think that liberals in general tend to see the glass as half empty and therefore work to fill it. Conservatives largely see it as half-full and strive to hang on to what they have.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 963 • Replies: 8
No top replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 10:48 am
Conservatives see it as half full, and are resentful that half is in someone else's glass.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 10:51 am
Sounds like a lot of rationalizing (and stereotyping) going on to me.

And I seriously doubt that your former boyfriend was honing in on your political philosophy when he made the comment about how you see the glass!

You might want to think about that.
0 Replies

Guitarman

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 11:03 am
I agree with plain. I see it both ways. The things we have achieved but better things to come.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 02:27 pm
I think Plainoldme is absolutely correct about the half-full/half-empy thing. Except for the fill it/ hang on to it part.

Frank, steroetyping happens for a reason.

Liberals see the glass as half-empty and think that it should be full and that more should be done to fill it and that someone else should fill it for them.

Conservatives see the glass half-full and are glad that at least its got something in it and it's not empty. They then work to ensure that the cup is never empty.
0 Replies

Smiley

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 02:52 pm
Conservatives see the glass as half-sold
and work to increase the profit margin on what little remains.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 02:53 pm
Is this to become yet another bickering session of left and right or a discussion of POM's topic? Just so I know...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 03:00 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Is this to become yet another bickering session of left and right or a discussion of POM's topic? Just so I know...

You are one of the people starting it in the wrong direction, McG. You want to reduce this thing to what liberals or left wingers feel and what conservatives or right wingers feel.

I think American conservatives are the dumbest group of gullible jerks ever to walk the planet -- but I am loathe to introduce that into a discussion of glasses and fullness.

You should display that same courtesy and forebearance.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 03:19 pm
Frank, Piss off. Evil or Very Mad

Frank wrote:
You want to reduce this thing to what liberals or left wingers feel and what conservatives or right wingers feel.

Plainoldme wrote:
I think that liberals in general tend to see the glass as half empty and therefore work to fill it. Conservatives largely see it as half-full and strive to hang on to what they have.

What do you think?

I believe I was answering POM's inquiry Frank, unlike your continued hate filled blatherings.

Why don't you keep your smell down-wind and quit embarrassing yourself.

Or...keep to the topic or keep quiet.
0 Replies