Australia, we don’t know you, but we love you, say our American friends

Builder

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:38 am
@Ticomaya,
Norte, I'm assuming, is North.

The land of OZ is indeed in Kansas, if you have the right shoes on, and you click your heels together and chant solemnly, "there's no place like home, there's no place like home". '

Thanks for the laugh, Tico. Wink
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:38 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Oz is in Kansas. Everyone knows that.

Oz is most emphatically NOT in Kansas. "I guess we're not in Kansas any more, Toto."

Read your sources, dear.
msolga

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:39 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Oz is in Kansas. Everyone knows that.

That's something I learned just recently, Tico.
After a very confusing conversation with an A2Ker from Kansas. Smile
So there's another Oz?
I would never have known!

Why is this place in Kansas called Oz?
I'd be interested to know.
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:41 am
@msolga,
You've not heard of the Wizard of Oz series by Frank Baum....or seen the Judy Garland film, The Wizard of Oz, based on them?

That's where the joke of calling Australia Oz started from.

That was the pun behind the British gutter press calling Keating The Lizard of Oz when he touched or almost touched the Queenly bum when shepherding her somewhere.
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:44 am
@dlowan,
Have you read Wicked, The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, by Gregory Maguire? It's not bad. Son of a Witch is not bad either, although it's not as good, in my estimation, as the first novel. I didn't think much of A Lion Among Men, but it does make me wonder if he intends to do novels about the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow.
msolga

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:45 am
@dlowan,
Yes, I have.
Or the Judy Garland film, anyway. A long, long time ago.
But in my mind I've never connected it with Kansas.
Perhaps I should see it again?
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:48 am
@Setanta,
Yeah...he seems to be working through the whole series, plus a bunch of traditional stories, like Ugly Step Sister for Cinderella and more.
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:49 am
@msolga,
It begins in Kansas....that's where Dorothy lives when she is taken up by the tornado. And it's where she and Toto end up again. Some of the Oz characters are based on her Kansas neighbors....like the Wicked Witch of the West....I think...is based on a neighbor who wants Toto put down.

I've not read the books so I don't know if this is true of them.

That film scared the living bejesus out of me when I was taken to see it at a drive in when I was tiny! Still can't really stand it! The Munchkins are spooky too!
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:50 am
@dlowan,
I didn't read that one, although i did read Mirror, Mirror and was unimpressed. I thought he did a good job of taking the Oz fairy tales and making them into a sort of "gritty reality." But in Mirror, Mirror he tries to take a truly gritty reality (the Borgias) and make it into a fairy tale--i don't think he pulled it off. It is, overall, though, an interesting literary endeavor.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:57 am
@dlowan,
Ah.
That's interesting.
It obviously all went right over my head when I saw Wizard, as a little kid.
Yep, probably time for another viewing.
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:00 am
@msolga,
They had Judy on speed by that film cos they thought her too fat...and tied her budding breasts down. I guess that's where the spin down into drugs began. Sigh. I guess she really wasn't in Kansas any more....if she ever was.

I was with the witch...Toto drove me nuts.
msolga

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:02 am
@dlowan,
That's awful
Poor Judy.
How old was she at the time?
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:02 am
@dlowan,
Some joker on the CBC who was talking about the "child abuse" of professional sports recruiters mentioned in passing that in Hollywood in the 30s, they gave child stars drugss to keep down their weight and get them going in the morning, and then gave them drugs to put them to sleep at night. I'd never heard about it--appalling what people do to children for selfish reasons.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:06 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Oz is most emphatically NOT in Kansas. "I guess we're not in Kansas any more, Toto."

Dorothy was wrong. Of course it's in Kansas ... It's on the way between Arizona and Kansas. Here's a pic of Dorothy's house in Liberal ... you see the yellow brick road.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4589/bnjn.png
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:06 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Norte, I'm assuming, is North.

Then why not say "north"?
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:07 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

That's awful
Poor Judy.
How old was she at the time?

Sixteen....I think Dorothy was supposed to be about twelve, so they didn't want no titties.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:08 am
@Setanta,
try watching one of these tv shows where they voyeuristically watch these tarted up 6 year old girls that are enrolled in kiddy beauty pagents. Id gather up all the mothers and put em up against the wall.
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:08 am
@Ticomaya,
Because they are speaking Spanish.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:10 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

try watching one of these tv shows where they voyeuristically watch these tarted up 6 year old girls that are enrolled in kiddy beauty pagents. Id gather up all the mothers and put em up against the wall.

That awful cancer has recently spread here.....there was a furious outcry. I hope they are banned. They're disgusting.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:11 am
@Ticomaya,
You believe everything you see on the net?