Australia, we don’t know you, but we love you, say our American friends

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 11:04 am
@aidan,
I apologize for not recognizing the sarcasm.

(I'm glad I didn't overreact and call you a knucklehead Smile )

I assumed you were American, but didn't know about your specific hertitage.

I really like your photo. It's one of the only ones I've seen from the period where everyone in it doesn't look they're suffering from extreme depression.

If you're grandfather could hold a smile for that long he must have been a hoot.

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 01:09 pm
Thanks Finn - he was. His name was Phineas Washington O'Hearne - later de-Irish-cized and Americanized - changed to Hearn. They called him 'Wash'.
My grandmother was a holy rolling Southern Baptist and my grandfather was a beer drinker and card player who loved a chaw.
I can remember watching him spit into his Chock -full- of -nuts coffee can and saying to me, 'Sugar, run get me a beer but don't let your Grandma see.'
He'd been a farmer who moved from Crockett to San Antonio to work as a carpenter for the Air Force - he worked at Kelly Air Force Base until he retired.
He died when I was eleven. It was the first of only three times I ever saw my father cry.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 01:41 pm
@aidan,
Sounds like my kind of guy
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 02:12 am
@Dutchy,
#%^&#T%$%*% Well I love you...

Adelaide, SA, very small City in Australia, that would be the Melbournites and Sydney people's comments as noted..

Note to self, read the whole friggen thread before replying in future, you should know better.

As an Aussie, reading that I am embarrassed. I think I will join that site and make my own comment ...
Dutchy

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 02:18 am
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

#%^&#T%$%*% Well I love you...

Adelaide, SA, very small City in Australia, that would be the Melbournites and Sydney people's comments as noted..

Note to self, read the whole friggen thread before replying in future, you should know better.

As an Aussie, reading that I am embarrassed. I think I will join that site and make my own comment ...

What are you getting your knickers in a knot about?????
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 02:29 am
@FOUND SOUL,
You haven't done anything wrong at all, FS.
Not that I can see.

(BTW, a pleasure to meet you & welcome to A2K. Smile
I'm Olga & I live in Melbourne.)
Eorl

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 06:03 am
While "Seppo" is clearly a derogatory term, I think it stems from WWII and is rarely heard these days. Rhyming slang itself has almost gone with that same generation.

USians I haven't heard anywhere but here, and I can't see how it's offensive. Personally I try to avoid saying Americans when I'm only refering to citizens of only one of America's country. To do so seems belittling to the non-US, like they are inconsequential. Perhaps within America you all know what "Americans" means, but it doesn't seem obvious from here.

Having said that, offensiveness is in the ear of the offended.
Builder

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 06:18 am
@Eorl,
http://www.surfermag.com/blogs/ask-a-local-what-is-a-seppo/

Q: I was recently in Australia and the Aussies kept calling me a “seppo.” What does that mean and where did that word come from? —John Marcus, San Francisco, CA

A: Sorry to be the one to break it to you, John, but you’ve just been identified as a certifiable foreigner. South of the border you’re a gringo, in Hawaii you’re a haole. In Australia, you’re a septic tank—seppo for short. The term was originally derived from rhyming slang: Yank = septic tank. Not exactly sure on the logic there, but the term has also been said to reference Americans’ tendency to be “full of ****.” Don’t take it too personally though; as long as it wasn’t preceded by an irate expletive, you can consider it a term of endearment.
Eorl

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 06:36 am
@Builder,
Must admit I don't hang out with many surfers. Maybe it's more commonly used than I thought.
Builder

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 06:46 am
@Eorl,
The point is, Eorl, that Aussies just like to hang a bit of **** on people.

It's not a thing we take to heart. Okay? It's just a bit of fun, okay?

Seppos come from 'Merikar'. 'Aussies come from paradise. Take a number and wait.

Most young surfers pine for South America. Land of the cheap cocaine.

That's why I call the northerners Nortes. Norte Americanos. Not southern.

End of story. I'm not biased.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 02:16 pm
@msolga,
Thanks Olga:)

Call you out for a drink when we next visit..

Kel

Dutchy, I like getting my knickers in a knot....
Dutchy

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 03:22 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Dutchy, I like getting my knickers in a knot....
[/quote]

Frustrated with the goings on in the City of Churches? Laughing
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 04:54 pm
@Dutchy,
haha...

Well glad to see you were paying attention:)
Dutchy

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 05:11 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I never ignore an intelligent woman. Smile
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 05:13 pm
I hope I've made it clear I like Oz and the average Aussie a whole lot, but here's a gratuitous poke:

Your beer stinks. Foster produces an average bitter than I never could find on tap in Sydney or Melbourne anyway. The best beer I found, and best is a relative term, was a Taz brew.
Eorl

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 06:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quite right. We don't drink that piss here. We export it to the UK Wink

Make mine a Guinness.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 02:33 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oi, actually I tried your beer, I hate beer, I liked yours it was so weak, is that a good thing? Cool Going to have to agree with you therefore, our beer is too strong, it sucks.

As far as Forums go? This be the only one I know of that has alot of Americans that has "little" main posters showing their faces, what ya hiding? Just kidding...
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 02:34 am
@Eorl,
Which, of course, is Irish.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 02:39 am
@FOUND SOUL,
There are loads of weak American beers, and there are loads of good hoppy and malty ones. I could only find weak Aussie beers.

If you find yours too strong ( Shocked ) I recommend Mexican. (But even they have negro brews so stick with Usian Coors or Fosters - Australian for Beer ). Smile
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 02:40 am
@Dutchy,
Well I pressed report the first week or so I was here on Osso, but you know, that's called a mistake:)