Australia, we don’t know you, but we love you, say our American friends

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 07:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Ah...a bit like Gubba when used by Aboriginal people.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 07:54 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I like anusgrams.

I rather shudder to think what that may be.

Do dogs leave them on the carpet when they're scooting around on their butts?
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 08:11 pm
@sozobe,
ANUS was a former A2K habitue. He was a nutbag who made outrageous assertions in history science and art. He was an OZZY . Many of the other OZZIES would apologize for him but my feeling was that we dont apologize for H2O man ,JTT, or several others others, so our batshits are just as nutty as the OZZies.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 08:14 pm
@farmerman,
JTT has no country.

he's from outer space...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 08:28 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

dlowan wrote:
I like anusgrams.

I rather shudder to think what that may be.

Do dogs leave them on the carpet when they're scooting around on their butts?

NOOOOOO! They're like anagrams only they involve arseholes, or assholes as you folk say.

You're just waiting for the claspagram, aren't you??
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 08:29 pm
@farmerman,
He was pretty awful....and there's lots less of us, so we kinda feel responsible.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 09:15 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I'm wondering if China has already passed the US economically for the foreseeable future?

Yes, China is forecasted to surpass the US (in economic size) and it's been a when question (next decade is the general consensus) more so than an if question for a while. The general consensus is that it will not just eclipse the US economy in size but will dwarf it within my lifetime.

Martin Jacques: Understanding the rise of China
http://www.ted.com/talks/view/lang/en//id/1059
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 03:51 am
Personally, i find Yank offensive, and largely because i almost never heard it unless it was coming from someone who was attempting to be provocative, or who was blatantly belligerant (sp?). That was in Ireland, and on the odd trip to Scotland or Wales (although i found the Welsh to be scrupulously polite and the only person who ever called me Yank in Wales was an Anglish-man). Being of Irish descent myself, i took the measure of each situation and responded was though i were offended in those situations in which i was sure offense was intended. I think many (most?) people in the English-speaking world understand that Yank can be offensive.

EDIT: I don't see why one cannot just use the proper name. Someone had something to say about Ozzian once, so i try scrupulously to say Australian. Americans think of themselves as Americans, so why persist in some idiotic usage which seems to be motivated by some convoluted form of political rectitude?
Builder

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 04:33 am
@Setanta,
For starters, Setanta, convoluted is my word of the month. Hands off, hombre.

So you're Irish? That would explain your rather loose grasp of the English language in your last post.

I have no problems typing American, but, as others have already pointed out, on this rather lengthy thread, there are more ways to be American than simply having your khyber pass planted in the US of A.

I like the mestizo name; that being norteamericanos.

Most of you are rather naughty? No?? Wink
msolga

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 05:18 am
@hingehead,
I confess I only just now read the article you introduced this thread with, hinge.

Pretty funny ..... though, you know, kind of not-so-funny at the same time.

Here's another recent article, one on how another outsider sees Oz.

This was the final article from Nick Bryant, the BBC's correspondent in Oz.

These are his thoughts about Australia at the end of his time in that position, in August of this year:

Quote:
Australia: The Consequential Country
31 August 2011 Last updated at 00:12 GMT

Comments (95)

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/55043000/jpg/_55043949_012737966-1.jpg
Bare-handed rope climbing on Bondi beach, Australia Australia has climbed to its rightful place on the news agenda

"The land down under" has always been a colloquialism dripping with inconsequentiality, and reaches back to a time when the tyranny of distance brought with it the felony of neglect.

It provides a fitting title for Bill Bryson's best-selling book on Australia, a portrait, sweeping in its broad brush strokes, which focuses on what the author perceived to be this country's sheer irrelevance.

Before making the long journey to Australia, Bryson sauntered the short distance to his local library where he conducted a fruitless search of the New York Times index for 1997. Australia merited just 20 mentions. Albania, by contrast, got 150.

If anything, 1997 turned out to be a glut year. Over the following 12 months just six stories were considered ripe for publication. Ending his travelogue, Bryson left readers with a departing thought that was as melodramatic as it was melancholic: "Life would go on in Australia," he opined, "and I would hear almost nothing of it."

Published on the eve of the Sydney Olympics, Bryson's conclusion sounded implausible then, and seems absolutely ludicrous now.

No longer can it be said that Australia suffers in any way from a national form of relevance deprivation syndrome. Quite the opposite. Few peaceful nations with a population of 22 million or under receive such close attention. As the economic locus of the world shifts from the Atlantic to the Indian and Pacific oceans, that trend is set to continue, and accelerate. Australia is a major component of that story.

Just read the New York Times - in the past few months alone, it has published 16 stories from its Sydney-based correspondent. On what might be called the NYT index - or perhaps the Bryson scale - Australia is fairing exceedingly well.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/55044000/jpg/_55044288_011406354-1.jpg
Cate Blanchett Cate Blanchett: One of Australia's most famous exports?

In recent years, other major news organisations, like Sky News and al-Jazeera, have also established bureaus here. The Guardian, The Times, The Daily Telegraph, The Independent, The Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times and Bloomberg all provide a steady and comprehensive stream of coverage.

Much of the reporting of Australia is highly favourable. Sometimes even envying. Inevitably, the success of a seemingly recession-proof economy gets this country a very strong financial press - even if, as we noted a few weeks back, the talk over the coming months will be of whether it has been infected by the "Dutch disease", an over-reliance on the booming resources sector that is having a distorting effect on the economy as a whole.

On the commercial front, companies like BHP and Rio Tinto have become Asian bellwethers, and thus also global bellwethers. So, too, has the shopping mall giant Westfield, whose results provide insights into the economic health not only of Australia, but America and Britain as well.

Soon, Brazil, that South American emerging giant, will be added to the list. Rather like the length of the queue of coal ships outside Newcastle, the world's largest coal export port, Westfield's retail results are fast becoming a global barometer.

Macquarie Group is another Australian company always worth watching, not least because it is estimated to be the single largest non-governmental owner of infrastructure in the world.

In the arts and entertainment, as we have noted many times before, the cultural cringe has been superseded by a cultural creep. Just read the adulatory reviews whenever Cate Blanchett takes a Sydney Theatre Company production to New York or Washington, or when Peter Carey publishes a new novel.

Doubtless, vestiges of the cringe still exist. I'm regularly amazed, for instance, at the overly-deferential welcome reserved for visiting writers, scholars and polemicists, some of whom are granted a star status here that they could never hope to achieve at home. The "what do you think of Australia?" syndrome is evident still, especially in the quality press and on ABC.

On the lifestyle front, Australia remains a global superpower. The food. The beaches. The staggeringly beautiful countryside. The coffee. It's all happening. Only this week, The Economist judged Melbourne, that great over-achiever, to be the world's most liveable city. Sydney, Perth and Adelaide joined it in the top 10.

If further proof of Australia's lifestyle clout is needed, just venture into a bookshop in London and see how many homegrown chefs and interior designers are offering coffee-book-table advice on how to replicate the Australian way of life. Then see how many people are buying them.

For all that, the reporting of this country regularly returns to some strong negatives, as well. Still shocking to outside observers is the chasm in living standards between white Australia and black Australia. However, this is not an urgent national priority, nor is it likely to become one.

Don't judge Australia by its politics - it is a far more clever, sassy and consequential nation than that”

Sometimes, I wonder what would have happened if, say, the independent MP wielding the balance of power in the House of Representatives had come not from Tasmania or New South Wales but been an Aboriginal MP from the Northern Territory (by the way, the first and only Aboriginal member of the House of Representatives is a Liberal from Western Australia). Alas, indigenous voters do not comprise a significant voting bloc in federal elections, and never will. Politically speaking, the first Australians are largely ignored.

The asylum seeker issue is another area where Australia continues to incur reputational damage. Numerically, the problem is comparatively small from an international perspective. Politically, the problem is disproportionately large. For the BBC, this is not a numbers story, but a reaction story. A boatload of, say, 37 Sri Lankan asylum seekers is never our headline. Rather, it is the Pavlovian response to each new boat arrival from both sides of politics that gives us our story.

Were there more news around or were the economy in worse shape, perhaps the problem would not loom so large. The press and the politicians would have others things to hyperventilate about. On a number of levels, then, the boat people issue is what might be called a successful nation problem.

Asylum seekers want to make their futures here for obvious reasons. In the absence of major economic headaches, politicians are looking for "wedge" issues and other points of divergence. The press is in need of stories - especially ones that come with such strong pictures, which helps explain why "boat people" asylum seekers attract more media attention than those arriving by air, who come in far greater numbers.

Tellingly, both of these negatives involve race. But we are not talking here of a redneck nation. Rather, I have always thought that the big racial story over the past 50 years has been one of successful multiculturalism and assimilation.

Sure, this is a country which gave rise to Pauline Hanson and where there is a still a lot of racial insensitivity and low-level racism. But the larger story is one of racial success and inclusiveness, especially given the massive demographic changes that have overtaken this country since World War II.
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/55044000/jpg/_55044290_012533785-1.jpg
Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard (r) listens to Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair PM Julia Gillard has said she prefers domestic politics

My final negative concerns Australian politics. In the most recent past, I have always written with great affection about a country that I love, but it has been hard to summon much enthusiasm for politicians on either side. There is something very dismal and second-rate about the quality of politics and politicians in Canberra. Indeed, Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott seem to revel in their parochialism, and reinforce it in each other.

When Julia Gillard stated that foreign affairs was not her passion, the rest of the world responded, justifiably, with the same indifference. She has been nowhere near as newsworthy as her recent predecessors, Kevin Rudd, John Howard, Paul Keating, Bob Hawke. Tony Abbott has also expressed a preference for being a "stay-at-home prime minister". Indeed, he turned it into a campaign boast. Both the major parties then are led by figures whose limited ambitions are happily accommodated within these shores.

That is why I have found it so hard to report on Canberra - in recent times, it has made a mockery of the sophisticated, modern and relevant country that is evident elsewhere.

The anger and hostility is currently being compared with the mood in 1975 during the Gough Whitlam dismissal crisis. But it also has a late-60s feel - a post-Menzies, pre-Whitlam interlude when the country appeared to be treading water, and waiting for something to happen.

Certainly, there is something stultifying and stalled about the national life right. In my final week, the headlines came from David Hicks, John Howard, asylum seekers and the governmental response to climate change. In other words, pretty much the same headlines which predominated when first I arrived.

So my advice to any new arrival - and, in particular, my successor Duncan Kennedy - would simply be this: don't judge Australia by its politics. It is a far more clever, sassy and consequential nation than that.

You were very generous in your comments at the end of the last blog - too kind - and I hope that many of you will stay in touch via email ([email protected]) or Twitter (@nickbryantoz).

Certainly, this country will forever be a major part of my life. As the regulars know, my wife is a beautiful Sydneysider, and our fabulously cheery son does indeed come from the land down under. Australia is writ large in my family's DNA.

But in this space, I have tested your patience for long enough. So a quick leave-taking.

There is, after all, a recent journalistic precedent. And that is simply to say: thank you and goodbye.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14726289 ...
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 06:27 am
@Builder,
Quote:
having your khyber pass
The linguistic practice of extending a words meaning by rhyming it with another unrelated word,that many folks of ENglish derivation engage in , IS STUPID.

Its the equivalent moronic linguistic practice that our own HillWilliams engage in by avoiding contractions.
msolga

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 06:38 am
@farmerman,
Well I have to tell you, farmer, rhyming slang is an established Oz tradition.

Some can be quite creative, funny & clever with it! Smile
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 06:57 am
@msolga,
It sounds so damned contrived to my ear. Like buiders "Khyber Pass" (I assume it rhymes with ass)
A clever turn of phrase is much more clever and creative. Ryme words, to me, are the same low end of the cleverness scale as puns. Few are good and most are horridly bad.
msolga

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:07 am
@farmerman,
OK.
And I'm hardly an expert on rhyming slang, say nothing of being much good at it myself. (wrong cultural background, for starters Smile )
But I do find some of it clever & amusing.
I guess it's a cultural thing, really, whether you appreciate such things.
I suspect rhyming slang would be appreciated & understood better by the English than people in the US, who probably don't have similar language traditions themselves.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:22 am
@Builder,
You didn't need to prove to me that you're a jackass, i was already well aware of that. It's hilarious to see you criticize anyone else's use of English.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:26 am
@farmerman,
It is contrived, and it's meant to be crass and obvious, farmerman.

It does, afterall, come from the slums of the old Dart, so what could you expect?

Trouble and strife? Married one.

I was born middle class, but decided on being a builder, so I get this vernacular all the bloody time at work.

I've been a moderator of American (sorry norte americano) web forums, and I have the utmost respect for nortes that respect me. Trouble is, many nortes don't even know where OZ is, let alone what happens here.

You get the old kangaroo jokes, and down under crap, and apparently we all live on a ranch with a bunch of phukking cattle for sexual partners.

You really want to single us out for type-casting issues??
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:28 am
The objection to the use of American by Americans is pretty idiotic coming from people who have no stake in the matter. It's also a case of selectively viewing the situation. Latin Americans who live south of Panama might have a point, just might, with that norte americano bullshit. But the people of Mexico and central America use it, too, and they are themselves North Americans. It may not have occured to people from Australia, the sophistication of whose geographical knowledge may be slight--but they're choosing sides is a silly argument, and getting much more worked up over it than do the people of the Americas. Why anyone in Australia would care about it is completely beyond me. Most of the world's population refers to us as Americans, so why do the Australians get their little lace panties in a twist?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:34 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
I've been a moderator of American (sorry norte americano) web forums, and I have the utmost respect for nortes that respect me. Trouble is, many nortes don't even know where OZ is, let alone what happens here.

What the hell's a "norte"?

Oz is in Kansas. Everyone knows that.
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:34 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

It sounds so damned contrived to my ear. Like buiders "Khyber Pass" (I assume it rhymes with ass)
A clever turn of phrase is much more clever and creative. Ryme words, to me, are the same low end of the cleverness scale as puns. Few are good and most are horridly bad.

Nah...it rhymes with arse.

My state seems not especially given to rhyming slang, so I often have trouble with it....but I think its Cockney roots are kind of cool. And I love puns. Guess I'm a low life, eh?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 07:37 am
You know, when Yugoslavia broke up, the people in that part of the country which was called Macedonia called their new little nation Macedonia, and called themselves Macedonians. Now there is a province of Greece which the Greeks call Macedonia, and they loudly objected to the Macedonians calling their country Macedonia--claimed it entailed a veiled threat to Greece's territorial integrity. So, the UN started calling the new little nation "the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia."

Have the Australians gotten all worked up over that one, or is it just the Americans they choose to bitch about?
0 Replies