s-15 pickup wont start

nixbone

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 01:46 pm
my 1984 gmc s15 will not start it does seem to be getting gas and it trys to start but just keeps going til it gets low battery it just wont turn over. i have new plugs wires i just put rebuilt carb and harmnic balancer seals etc.. canany help please? it has 2.8 v6 5speed rochester carb
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,155 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:42 pm
@nixbone,
Maybe just flooded? If so, let it set awhile and recharge the battery if necessary. Best technique with a flooded engine is to gently ease the throttle open so as not to get a big squirt from the accelerator pump and crank until the engine starts. It will run rough for several seconds till it clears out the excess fuel.

Other than that, I don't know either.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:09 pm
@nixbone,
This is only a guess but based on what you wrote, maybe it's a bad or weak fuel pump. (can be checked with a pressure gauge and it perhaps operates between 50-60 PSI as a guess).

Another possibility is a bad gas filter, clogged or partially-clogged line. I do understand that the fuel pump is in gas tank. Not fun to replace.

Assuming your carb gasket is good. I underastand that can contribute as a possibility.

Further guessing is that it could be a plugged catalytic converter as at this advanced milage it's not out of the realm of possibilities.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:40 pm
@Ragman,
dude...

if it has a carburetor, it's running less than 10 lbs of fuel pressure. more like 4 or 5...

I would check and make sure I had spark first.

remove one plug wire from a plug, and insert another good plug. hold it against the manifold, and have someone crank the motor over.

watch for spark.

if you have a good crisp bluish spark, move to step 2.

see what the flow from the fuel pump to the carb looks like.

step 3 puts you back inside the carburetor you were working on.

good luck...
nixbone

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:05 pm
@Ragman,
the rebuilt carb had a new gasket so it should be ok . the fuel pump is acualy old enough that it ismounted to the blockk and some typerod connectinng to the crank i guess it only pumps with engine running . i cant imagine it being clogged so abruptly and i am still learning so i would not think to check theconverter or no how . thank you
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:23 pm
@Rockhead,
hey...I brain farted.....doooh,. you're right. not EFI..carb..force of habit.
0 Replies