Study links childhood IQ to likelihood of future drug use

firefly

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 07:14 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:

Lots of doctors seem to positively lust to prescribe drugs.

It assures their income, because the patient has to keep returning, and the drug companies offer them all sorts of bribes/incentives/rewards for prescribing their product, and the insurance carriers love it because it's a relatively cheap form of treatment, so they rarely question it.

It's a win-win for everyone except the patient who might better benefit from a different sort of intervention or treatment modality.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 02:44 pm
I still remember the testing from my childhood. in sporadic flashes. some of the tests. buckets of water and a well. ink blots.

a creepy old victorian house and bad kids. I'd never been around bad kids before. the lady doctor ran some kind of troubled children counseling service for a discounted fee.

and then they told my mom that it was her fault...

we never went back.

but the next year I was in a program I did not wish to be in. special ed. (we had a real special ed department at the school, too. for the mentally challenged. just for comparisons sake)

from that point on, if I failed, it was because I was lazy. or deliberately trying to undermine my parenting...

but, some of the things I learned from those bad kids came in real handy as I realized that I was on my own, and the only one that was going to stick up for me was me.

I have a theory that traumatized kids tend to be more intelligent, because they have to be. the thinking and surviving part of the brain kicks in before some other kids.
boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 07:11 pm
@Rockhead,
Wow, Rockhead, that sounds really awful. I'm so sorry that your mom reacted that way.

I think that some people are really starting to appreciate people who think different. Just today I was reading the book reviews in the back of Scientific American Mind and there was a book about dyslexia reviewed. It talked about all the talents expressed by dyslexic people and that we should cultivate those talents. There are a lot of books like that now, and a lot of books saying we're missing the boat by neglecting to properly educate the different thinkers among us.

But I kind of get where your mom might have been coming from. In a different time I might have reacted the same way. I've been in a very serious funk since our parent-teacher conference last Tuesday. I don't know how to describe it any better than that the teacher tried to make me feel ashamed of Mo and ashamed of myself. I don't think she meant to but it was so terribly, horribly awful. I still haven't shaken it off.

It kind of feels like they have given up on Mo and that they are asking me to adjust my expectations -- to essentially give up on him too.

Did it feel that way to you -- that people had just given up?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 07:19 pm
@boomerang,
my home situation was most of my trouble.

the junior high GTC program was brand new at that time, and was not very good. IMO.

I don't remember any counseling, just one very nice, but overmatched and ineffective teacher. by high school I was in AP classes by my own choosing, but had no adult advising me until I had a teacher take interest after I was living away from home.

I think Tico went through the same program a few years after I did, it might have been better by then...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 07:26 pm
@Rockhead,
Individualism is a good thing to learn.

David
boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 07:47 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm sorry, I think I spazzed -- your testing was for giftedness....

What did the therapist tell your mom was her "fault"?
boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 07:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm not really sure you can lean individualism.

I think it's a good thing but it isn't really appreciated, as you probably know.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 07:52 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I'm not really sure you can lean individualism.
Well, u can learn the value of Individualism.
I get the impression from your posts that Mo is individualistic;
i.e., willing to stick up for his own ideas,
rather than being obsessed with following the heard and being docile in *fitting in.*

boomerang wrote:
I think it's a good thing but it isn't really appreciated, as you probably know.
The collectivists don 't appreciate the Individualists, feeling threatened.

The Individualists don 't care.

David
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 07:54 pm
@boomerang,
my testing was for behavior disorder.

the IQ thing just kinda popped out, I think...

I wasn't consulted in a lot of the decision making at that point.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 07:57 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
my testing was for behavior disorder.

the IQ thing just kinda popped out, I think...

I wasn't consulted in a lot of the decision making at that point.
I deem that to be very insulting to the testee.

David
0 Replies