Let's Talk Girls, Fashion, and Feminism

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:24 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
What is feminist fashion anyway? Is there such a thing?

I don't know! I'm still trying to figure that out.

Some thoughts.

Prada is more feminist than... Versace.

Jeans, a leather jacket, some sort of protest t-shirt and combat boots is more feminist than a tight pink dress, high-heeled shoes, and lots of jewelry.
sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:27 am
@Mame,
Quote:
I don't think fashion and being fashionable is shallow. Why do you brush your hair before going out? Why do you buy clothes that fit instead of baggy things? How you present yourself is part of who you are.

I think this might be an important dividing line in how I think about it.

You're going to wear clothes anyway. You can choose colors or style or fit, but it's not like you're not going to wear clothes.

High-heeled shoes are another category because of their utility, or lack thereof. (I understand that the really good shoe makers have high-heeled shoes that are genuinely comfortable, but even my most comfortable high-heeled shoes are far less comfortable than my regular boots/ flats.)

Then makeup is another addition thing. It's not baseline, especially for kids.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:27 am
@sozobe,
The whole fashion thing could turn out to be very feminist. My cousin M__ was a big-time fashionista as a child. She's now a buyer for Rockport (used to work for, I think, Ann Taylor). She's a smart, stylish, elegant, beautiful woman with a BA and a full-time job, etc. For her, knowing style is as much a part of her job and her career as knowing SQL programming is to mine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:32 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Prada is more feminist than... Versace.

Jeans, a leather jacket, some sort of protest t-shirt and combat boots is more feminist than a tight pink dress, high-heeled shoes, and lots of jewelry.

Interesting take. I don't read feminism into clothing choices.
sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:35 am
@ehBeth,
I don't know that I do either, those were some thoughts.

I believe "Legally Blonde" was about debunking that last thought. Wink
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:36 am
I dare you all to read Veblen's short essay The Economic Theory of Women's Dress. You're talking about dress not clothing.
0 Replies

andreahidges

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 05:12 pm
@Questioner,
You know, it's sad that we still haven't evolved enough to let everyone do whatever the hell they want to do!
spendius

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:24 pm
@andreahidges,
You should get down on your kness andrea and thank the all merciful Divine Providence that we haven't evolved to that point. Yet.

If ever we do you will spend the rest of your life on your kness wailing and moaning and waving your emaciated arms at the sky.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:40 pm
@sozobe,
remember, more than half of the students inmedicine AND in engineering programs at the elite universities are women. I think you need to get our of the 1980's soz an accept the NEW REALITIES about women in the professions.
I am gonna share something with you and by doing so will be labeled a pig. BUT, when I was in grad chool for chem and later in geology, the womens students were mostly nerds and a limited nuber were considered really attractive
TODAY, I see lRGE NUMBERS OF grad students (and the numbers of women grad students in the sciences and math are growing ) AND MANY MANY ARE nockouts.
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:43 pm
@roger,
A gu thing would have been "ALWAYS wash your pizza down with a lrge quaff of your preferred suds. Extra points are wawarded for any chunks that can spume into your mug
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:47 pm
@farmerman,
I was one of three premed women out of, say, 200 in a class. Maybe I missed sighting a couple, so let's say, five. I wasn't plum ugly.
That was early sixties, my first year, 1960.
Things changed a lot soon after I left, civil rights, ya know.
I wore heels a few times to class, the days I didn't go off to hospital work later, but usually not.

Laughs at farmerman with the news.
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 07:36 pm
@ossobuco,
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Unknown_painter_after_Thomas_Gainsboroughs_%E2%80%9ABlue_Boy%E2%80%98.png                                                  Heres a picture of PAuley Shore in his HS picture.

Osso, the fact is that most MED schools (not undergrad) are now statistically women majorities and, as for my "Sexist" utterings , I knew I would be brought up quickly by the "ole timers".

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 07:41 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah. I read, maybe five or seven years ago, that docs are now like nurses of yore in regard. I've no idea, being away from all that now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 08:30 pm
@farmerman,
Women are still really under-represented in many scientific fields, like physics. (Big Bang Theory is not a sitcom, it's a documentary.)

But not really sure how those observations relate to the post you're replying to. What part of the 80's am I in and what did I say that indicated I was in that part?
spendius

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 04:59 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
AND MANY MANY ARE nockouts.

A bit fastidious are you fm?

From what I have seen of our closest relatives in the evolutionary chain your comment is a bit spiritual.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 07:04 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
Women are still really under-represented in many scientific fields,

That can be remedied soz. We just make the exams easier.
0 Replies

SteveRobs

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 09:49 am
@Setanta,
i don`t know how could people wear these kind of cloths ...
0 Replies

Ethels

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 01:26 am
@Setanta,
Nice look.
0 Replies