Deos age really affect memory and other things?

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 03:56 pm
I have a science fair coming up and my topic that I chose is that...deos age affect memory, learning ability, et cetra. I have noticed how "they", websites and textbooks among other things, say age affects all these functions known as the Executive Functions but they make these declarations with the assumption of lesions and traumas and mental illnesses, and so many other factors. But, by definition, age deos not invlove any of these factors. Aging is the gradual impairment of normal funtions because of the changes in the cells. In other words, I think(?), the abilty of cells to reproduce and to do their functions. You age because your cells are getting "tired" and lazy. So I would like to know if there is any covalance between aging, its actual definition, and your memory...?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:02 pm
@cavilaroman,
Yes.
(Especially "other things".)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:34 pm
eh?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 01:46 am
@cavilaroman,
Look up the data on death of neurons after age 21...it's billions per annum (a figure which can be hastened by alcohol or other drugs). Also "second generation cognitive science" suggests that cognitive functioning extends beyond the brain to other bodily locations. Thus physical impairment and mental impairment might interact with each other.

For detailed discussion try
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK3885/
cavilaroman

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:22 pm
@fresco,
but that is my point! All these losses in memory and such are because of drugs, alchol and other things. But deos age itself, definition only, affact it at all? Without all these extra factors assumed that one accumalates with age.

Thank you for you ansewer Fresco. I really appreciate your input and hope you can keep helping me with this topic! I will definetly check that out. Thanks so much!
Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:02 pm
Sometimes it does affect memory for such minor things as spelling. How old are you?
engineer

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:03 pm
@cavilaroman,
There is a lot of new science on aging that suggests that the brain continues to mature and that our ability to make decisions and process complex data actually peaks around 55. Something about the left and right brains forming information bridges that allow them to act like parallel processors so that while each may be a little slower than in our youth, the whole has more processing power.
cavilaroman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:22 pm
@engineer,
where can that information be found at? I would like to see where it is so I can site in in my bibliography.
cavilaroman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:23 pm
@Setanta,
I am 15 and am in high school. I am a sophmore. I moved from Puerto Rico to Florida just a few years ago. Why do you ask?
Green Witch

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:52 pm
@cavilaroman,
It is normal for people to lose some memory as they age. For women it usually happens around menopause, as I can attest to. I once had an excellent memory, but now I sometimes forget the dumbest little things. I do not drink nor have I ever done drugs. I am probably healthier than a lot of 35 year olds. Memory loss is just one of things that suck about getting old.
neologist

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 10:51 pm
Drat! I used to know the answer to this!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 02:50 pm
@cavilaroman,
cavilaroman wrote:

where can that information be found at? I would like to see where it is so I can site in in my bibliography.

I think you should cite it instead.
roger

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 02:55 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I used to just cite op. cit. Just don't do it on page one, and you can get away with it for years.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 03:00 pm
@roger,
Yeah, that and loc. cit. and ibid. will work wonders. It looks like you might actually have done some research and maybe even know what you're talking about. Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 03:23 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
I used to just cite op. cit. Just don't do it on page one, and you can get away with it for years.
So long as you keep readability in site
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 03:25 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

roger wrote:

...uh...in sight, mebbe?...
neologist

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 03:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
neologist wrote:
roger wrote:

Rats! Those pesky homonyms!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 04:14 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:
neologist wrote:
roger wrote:

Hey, let's leave the gays out of this, ok?
neologist

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 04:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
neologist wrote:
Lustig Andrei wrote:
neologist wrote:
roger wrote:

Hey, let's leave the gays out of this, ok?
Are you saying homonyms are canticles sung by an all male choir?
0 Replies

niravarav

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 11:59 pm
@Green Witch,
Totally agree with Gren Witch.
Well said.
One of my uncle is suffering from short time memory loss problem. He is a 60 years old person.
0 Replies