Over the line. Family court judge videoed beating his dtr.

chai2

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 01:52 pm
I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread on this here.

Family court judge william adams beating his daughter with a belt, because she illegally downloaded something off the internet.

Warning: Graphic violence.

The first is a watered down version of what is being shown on YouTube. I provided that link also, but you may not get any action with it, only sound. I was able to watch the video last night, and believe me, what he is doing completely matches the sounds.

http://news.yahoo.com/dad-caught-video-beating-daughter-needs-help-070228201.html

Besides the fathers hits with a belt, his language toward his daughter, I was really appalled by the mothers part in all this. Disgusting. I think she is just as much to blame.

What was this supposed to be teaching his kid?

The news story:
PORTLAND, Texas (AP) — Hillary Adams says that until last week, only a couple of close friends knew about the savage beating she received seven years ago from her father, a Texas judge who handles child abuse cases.

Now the beating is on display to the world on YouTube thanks to a secret video she made, and her father, Aransas County Court-at-Law Judge William Adams, is the subject of a police investigation.

Hillary Adams, 23, says the outpouring of support and encouragement she's received since posting the 2004 video online last week is tempered by the sadness that it's her father lashing her 17 times with a belt and threatening to beat her "into submission." The 8-minute video had been watched nearly 2 million times by Thursday morning.

"I'm experiencing some regret because I just pulled the covers off my own father's misbehavior after so many people thought he was such a good person. ... But so many people are also telling me I did the right thing," she told The Associated Press outside her mother's home in the Gulf Coast town of Portland, near Corpus Christi.

"He's supposed to be a judge who exercises fit judgment," she said.

And she said the videoed attack was not a one-off. "It did happen regularly for a period of time," she told NBC's "Today" show on Thursday.

In the same interview, Hallie Adams blamed her ex-husband's bouts of violence on his "addiction," calling it a "family secret." She did not elaborate. Their 22-year marriage ended in 2007.

The judge did not return an AP reporter's call seeking comment early Thursday.

Police in Rockport, where the 51-year-old judge lives, opened an investigation Wednesday after receiving calls from several concerned citizens, Police Chief Tim Jayroe said.

William Adams has been receiving threatening phone calls and faxes at the courthouse since the video went online, Aransas County Sheriff Bill Mills said.

No one answered the door Wednesday at the judge's home, repeated calls to his office rang unanswered and his attorney, William Dudley, did not respond to phone messages seeking comment. A neighbor said she saw Adams and his girlfriend packing luggage, a briefcase and rifles into their truck.

Corpus Christi television station KZTV caught up with the judge while he was getting into his vehicle Wednesday, and he confirmed it was him in the video. But he said it "looks worse than it is" and that he doesn't expect to be disciplined.

"In my mind, I haven't done anything wrong other than discipline my child after she was caught stealing," Adams said. "And I did lose my temper, but I've since apologized."

When told of her father's comments, Hillary Adams said, "it's a shining perfect example of his personality and he believes he can do no wrong. ... He will cover up rather than admit to what he did and try to come clean."

She stressed that she did not post the video as revenge and does not want her father punished. Rather, she did it because she thinks it will force him to seek help, and because he has been harassing her and she thought posting the clip would make that stop.

"We need to reach out to victims and the abusers themselves to get people to realize what it actually is," she said.

chai2

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:00 pm
If he was beating his wife like that, everyone would tell her to leave him.

saab

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:08 pm
@chai2,
I saw it in a Danish Paper, and was also suprised it was not on A2K,.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:08 pm
That's just appalling. That girl must have felt like she was trapped in that house with a couple of sick bullies.

Yeah - I think the mother is almost worse than the father too. To stand by and watch him do that to her daughter and then tell her to lay on her belly so she could get her licks in too- all the while staying really calm and reasonable like she was the supervisor of the abuse?

If anyone - including their father- ever tried to hit one of my kids like that - I'd ******* pick up a chair and hit him over the head with it .

Yeah - that's sick.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:16 pm

Sadly, if she sued him, his retaliation coud be disinheritance.

It will be no suprize if he leaves his judicial position soon.
He has embarrassed the judiciary.

David
Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
having to live with a psychopath is not worth any inheritance in the world, dave...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:22 pm

In my years (centuries?) of observation,
the worst bullies are parents of the victims.

There was an Italian on the corner who murdered his son,
who was in his 4Os at the time. Thay had quarrelled because their respective dogs had fought.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:25 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
having to live with a psychopath is not worth any inheritance in the world, dave...
That can be true.
I don 't choose to dispute it,
but the fruits of successful litigation for assault n battery
might be significantly less than a disinheritance; maybe.

David
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:27 pm
It is so sickening - I did not open a thread, because I did not want to relive that video. What can we say, besides the obvious - The man went way beyond mere discipline. He needs to be evaluated, possibly prosecuted - Let the law have its course.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
trial lawyers kinda suck, dave...
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:32 pm
@aidan,
There was an interview with mother and daughter and the mother said she was brainwashed. The father really lost his temper but the mother is so cold and my impression and in no way lost her temper. There is much more to the story of the parents cooperating on this terribly thing than has come out.
Daughter and mother are very close now - how can you be close to someone who has allowed so much suffering.
chai2

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Sadly, if she sued him, his retaliation coud be disinheritance.

It will be no suprize if he leaves his judicial position soon.
He has embarrassed the judiciary.

David

So putting up with beatings is more important than to risk not inheriting daddy's money?

David, my family never hit me. My parents were just as abusive as this man and his wife, just not physically.

One of the most freeing days in my life was when I told both of them to go **** themselves. They never expected that because they had all the other children cowed into submission, through fear of not inheriting what they had.

When they finally both did the world a favor and died, I got a little bit, and the others got the bulk.

If I'd gotten nothing, I still would have gotten the better part of the bargain.

People don't have to live in fear like that, especially over money.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:33 pm
I dont have a problem with belt discipline, but this guy is out of control. Some intervention from the state would be wise, but not through the use of the criminal system.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:39 pm
@saab,
Quote:
There was an interview with mother and daughter and the mother said she was brainwashed
No matter what a woman does there is always a man to be blamed for her actions...even for homicide.
aidan

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:39 pm
I just don't get it either Saab. What does this mother mean when she says she was 'brainwashed'?

I'm not even related to that girl, but I could barely watch it even at a remove. The minute he started beating her with the belt, I could physically feel myself tensing and wanting to stop him. And I know if I'd been in the room with someone hitting anyone like that, I wouldn't be able to stand there and watch it happen.
My son was sitting here while I was watching it and he couldn't stand hearing it- he was like, 'Can you turn that off - what are you watching? How can you stand to watch that?
I very nearly couldn't.
And my first thought was 'How could this mother stand by and let that grown man bully her little girl like that?'
That's not a normal mother.
Yeah, there's something very wrong there.
But maybe the mother took responsibility for how sick and wrong she was and made a change and apologized to her daughter and that's how they can be close now - who knows?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:40 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

Daughter and mother are very close now - how can you be close to someone who has allowed so much suffering.

I don't know how she could be either saab.

Until the end, every conversation with my mother was a guilt trip from her. In our last conversation, I finally asked her "How could you have just stood by and let all that happened?

She said she didn't know what I was talking about. Yeah right.

Edgar, I know what you mean. The only reason I started this was because this has been on my mind since seeing it yesterday, and I thought it might help if I "got it off my chest"

I totally do not get it when people would say things like "you have to love them, they're your parents"

Bullshit. Anyone, including your parents treat you like that, they don't deserve your love, and you're better off without them.

There. I feel better now. Thanks Edgar.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:43 pm
I agree 100%, chai. You have to be a reasonably good parent to deserve the role. After all, all the parents do is have sex and then a child is born into their lives. The act in no way confers automatic allegiance.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
No matter what a woman does there is always a man to be blamed for her actions...even for homicide.

What? Where did this come from?

But yeah, if that father is charged with assault and battery, I think the mother should be charged with failure to protect- or even aiding and abetting.

Maybe that's why the girl isn't going to press charges. Maybe she has forgiven her mother and doesn't want her to be criminally charged.

Maybe she really only does want to shame her father into admitting what he really is.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:46 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
She said she didn't know what I was talking about. Yeah right.
Mothers can and do walk in on their daughters being raped, and to their dying day honestly believe that nothing happened. You are being naive here.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:48 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
if that father is charged with assault and battery, I think the mother should be charged with failure to protect- or even aiding and abetting.
Bull, they were a fully functioning tag team...the mother was just as wrong as was the father. Men use physical force, women use emotional force, and emotional force does more long term damage.