NOT ALL SPAMMERS ARE CREATED EQUAL

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 05:10 am
OK, here's a question for you. You see a spam thread, but when you open it, it happens to be about something for which you feel sympathy. You don't think it's at all about suckering people, or bilking them, or just pushing a product. Do you report the post? Do you ever report spam posts?

I'd also be interested if a moderator could drop by with a comment on this subject.

djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 05:47 am
@Setanta,
i'm pretty sure i know the thread you mean, and i wondered about that myself
Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 05:51 am
@djjd62,
Yeah, that's probably obvious. I have had some problems with my e-mail account, so i haven't been reporting posts lately. When i saw that thread, though, it made me wonder how i would react if i were still reporting spam.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 05:54 am
@Setanta,
I think the usual answer when spam reports come up is to go ahead and report, and the mods can decide whether it's something they are going to address or not.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 06:17 am
@Setanta,
I'm not sure which new poster and thread of which birthed this discussion but let me bring a little digital cynicism and reasonable paranoia to the table.

Regardless of the tone and alleged intent of any particular new a2k member, one has to question destination from clicking on the proffered link is a safe one. That the address hasn't been spoofed and that the site where ones browser lands upon isn't a phishing site or a malicious webpage ladened with malware, spyware, worms, etc....

I say we need a basic history from any given member before we can trust that they aren't here to do harm. Of course, that doesn't prevent any particular member from playing the long game. That of creating a posting history and establish trust only to lure unsuspecting marks to his or her web of deceit. But that's a case of who one can trust online and that's a philosophy discussion for another time and another thread.
Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 08:18 am
@tsarstepan,
I wasn't talking about clicking on links. I wouldn't click on a link of yours, unless the url address contained the name of a recognizable news source. I was only interested in the issue of whether or not one should report a seeming spam post if one approves of the idea being promoted.

Let me edit this to say: " . . . whether or not one feels that one should report, etc. . . ."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 12:27 pm
If I see spam or a suspect new thread, I report it right away. Makes no difference the subject matter.
Roberta

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 12:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's exactly what I do, edgar.
thack45

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 02:35 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

OK, here's a question for you. You see a spam thread, but when you open it, it happens to be about something for which you feel sympathy. You don't think it's at all about suckering people, or bilking them, or just pushing a product.
I had a sort of similar experience early this morning. Couldn't sleep so I logged in and saw a thread asking for help adjusting settings for the wallpaper on a specific android phone. It seemed like a genuine question, very specific - and in fluent English. There was at the end of the post a little image that I assumed was the poster's home screen pic and some accompanying link.

Well I spent a while coming up with an informative reply, but when I hit the button - the post had been removed. SPAM! But I thought, I just spent the time writing all this, might as well start a new thread and post it there. In that post I mentioned the deleted thread and that particular device and gave my advice; with a couple of links to the android market. My new thread was deleted. SPAM!..

So. It turns out I'm a spammer. I didn't even know. Guess it sneaks up on a guy. And I'm probably the most patient spammer ever. I waited over 1-1/2 years and contributed 650 diverting posts before I launched my unscrupulous plan: to sell . . . free apps.

Keep the kids away from me. Lord knows how long it'll be 'til I do it again...

Quote:
I'd also be interested if a moderator could drop by with a comment on this subject.
Hope you didn't hold your breath...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 03:05 pm
Too soon after the real spam. It probably looked like more of the same.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 03:08 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

That's exactly what I do, edgar.

Well, that's at least three of us. I see someone posting a commercial link, or even phishing for a response so a link can be posted on an interior post, I report it immediately. (I'll even pursue the matter with more reports if this is a serious flood of spam; happened last night, in fact.)
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 03:23 pm
I’ve only reported two new posts, it’s when someone was trying to advertise their product and posted a link to their website. The next day I noticed the post had been deleted.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 03:30 pm
@jcboy,
Sometimes I think new people may not mean to spam, are just giving a link to support a point, and then I report it as possible spam, or maybe spam. Sometimes the mods leave the rest and just take out the link... in fact they often do that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 06:12 pm
Yeah, I reported a link that turned out to be a fart button.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 06:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Too soon after the real spam. It probably looked like more of the same.
I figured that may have been the case. I suppose I should be grateful that these sort of measures are in place to protect us from being annoyed . . . potentially for minutes.
thack45

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 06:32 pm
@thack45,
in the interest of full disclosure (and little else), my post was restored
0 Replies